talk me out of this

Help Support CattleToday:

Raising beef just to look at is a waste of money. Cow/calf on that small of an acreage won't work. I have 20, make my own hay and it was still not profitable. Buy a couple of steers, and freezer them. Sell off most, and keep enough for you. You'll make your money back, maybe. To do cow/calf you'll need more equipment than you'll want to buy, and wait until you have one get stuck, or die. For a newbie (take it from me, I started there), it can cause a lot of anxiety and stress that's not worth it. We sold the cows, and bought a couple of calves to add to the 2 we had. I've got too much grass for them, and I was able to sell off more hay (=more money for me). If I can't find customers for the freezer they'll make me money at the sale barn.

BayBuzzard, you got your little piece of heaven out in the country... that you will protect and defend from anyone who might choose to threaten your "peace, privacy and serenity"... or even against anyone who would dare to do something that you might not care for, but that they LEGALLY have the right to do on THEIR property that borders you or is even some way off in the distance but that you can see...

BUT... you also then will dare to illegally trespass across your neighbor's private property and even admit to it and display your pride in doing it publicly online... going so far as to say:

"It is a mission meant to be known by noone, and to inconvenience noone... we were just short cutting home. It's a long ass walk, almost 2 miles, deep in the night with work two hours away, = shortcut. We took the 'legal' way in, always, so as not to be seen by anyone. Ah legal my ass, we had the key to the park, and just tresspassed on state land. That walk is brutal, anything to shorten the walk, anything.

As for asking permission. I do this, when it's possible, and many times this is fruitful for me and the landowner. However, in this case: I know them. They know me. They don't like me, and I don't like them. Makes no difference, as I've not seen them in over a decade. Hopefully, that streak continues.

Vast swaths of beach are 'off limits', all up and down the coast. Some of the very best fishing spots are off limits. I never fish bait. leave trash, or even keep a fish. I'm out there doing my thing, and no sign will stop me. I am never 'on' someone's property, just passing thru ;) to the ocean, which is open to all I believe :)"

What say you, CT friends? Shall we all go shortcut across BayBuzzards property on our way to a great fishing spot on the ocean, and see what happens? We can be sure to do it at night "commando style", wearing our camo and all... I'm sure he won't mind a bit, long as we're all just "passing thru" whenever we get the notion to do it... Maybe we can all meet-up on an online forum afterwards and brag about our trespassing against him too... be a pretty good party, no? And even if he DOES mind or object to our "trespassing"... makes no difference anyway, as he probably won't like us, and we probably won't like him, once we meet up with him out there in the middle of the night.

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE THESE KIND OF FOLKS INVADING THE RURAL/AGRICULTURAL DISTRICTS! They only think that the privacy, property rights and trespassing laws should apply to "other people".... and ESPECIALLY if what "other people" are doing might impact THEIR privacy, or would be related to someone trespassing on THEIR property... or if it interferes with "THEIR view".... or if "your agricultural practice" in an agricultural district might be perceived to potentially negatively impact THEIR RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY VALUE...... in an AG PROTECTION DISTRICT! "Ag protection district" means we protect agriculture FROM other interests that might negatively affect AG... meaning influences like THIS!

BTW BayBuzzard... those "very best fishing spots that are off limits" that you've discovered and which you "commando fish in".... They're "off limits" to you because they're on "someone else's private property"... which of course, you're obviously "never 'ON'... cause you're "just passing thru"...

Now, where'd that ladder go so I can get down off this soapbox?

Last edited:
Well, I won't talk you out of it as the decision is a personal choice. Sorry about that. I am (possibly to your dismay?) do almost the opposite. Your approach to pasturing/grazing is a healthy one by not intending to jump in and have it pay for itself/be profitable right out of the gate. You are also wise to seek advise/help from those who have gone before you and not rely entirely on one book. Yes, the book will help, but remember, that book was written by one person and how it worked for them. Based on your introduction, I'd say you have limited actual livestock experience. That isn't bad. Everyone has to start somewhere at some point. What I can suggest, and it will help eliminate 'expensive and not so easily reversed' "mistakes" is get in contact with your local extension agent through your state land grant university AND contact the United States Department of Agriculture, Natural Resource Conservation Service. Have the District Conservationist with the USDA-NRCS assist you in designing a whole farm plan/grazing operation BEFORE you start making single decisions to 'put a fence here' and 'put a well there'.

This might not be what you want to hear, but, GOOD LUCK! and don't worry, you will do fine whatever you decide. Take your time and make all your decisions with careful thought.

Latest posts