Cheap Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboybeef

Reaction score
im lookin for some cheap cattle for sale for county fair in or around missouri around september 2007 for june 2008
any breed crosses included dont have to be a knock out just dont have to croak either heifer or steer

Thanx
Shorty

cowboybeef":33bw2g7t said:
im lookin for some cheap cattle for sale for county fair in or around missouri around september 2007 for june 2008
any breed crosses included dont have to be a knock out just dont have to croak either heifer or steer

Thanx
Shorty

What do you consider cheap?

it dont have to techanically be a show cow just something to go to outr county fair (small town bout 3000 people) i am willing to spend anywhere from 400 to bout 550 or 600

cowboybeef":srddcab8 said:
it dont have to techanically be a show cow just something to go to outr county fair (small town bout 3000 people) i am willing to spend anywhere from 400 to bout 550 or 600

Better head to your local sale barn to find cattle for those prices.

cowboybeef":gvlsygc4 said:
you might check around with some of the commercial guys in your area to see if they've got a cheap steer for you. i think, realistically, you'll be looking at more around $600 though.

if you'd rather go lower, heading to the sale barn might be your best bet.

what county or area are you at? I am in central MO, and maybe can hook you up with someone,but realistically even 500-600 bucks wont get you much.
Thanks Larry

I sold two 16 year old Bonner Cows last week for $1500. Any Show Calf worth messing with ought to be worth at least that much.

Try calling some local ranches and see if they have any orphan calves that need to be bottle fed you can pick these calves up cheap. That's how we got our first show heifer and she turned out to be a nice heifer. She is a purebred braunvieh and she won her class the first time we showed her. That was seven years ago and she is one of the best cows we have. Her heifer calf she had this year just won grand champion born and bred at our county fair. Good luck finding something in that price range. Also try talking to some breeders and expalin to them you don't have much money to spend and see what kind of deal they can work out for you. I know we have helped kids get started who can't afford much. We donated a steer calf last year to a girl who could not afford to buy one. The breeders can use it as a tax write off. So it does not hurt to ask.

The LEAST you can expect to pay for a decent heifer around here is 1000+ (though I saw an ok one sell for 850 a ccouple weeks ago, but prices were down)

you can and will be able to find a calf that cheap but it will be hard and it wont be considered a show claf when you get it but yo may be able to turn it into a show calf with alot of work

yes you will be able to find a calf that cheap and with hard work and proper feed, ect you could get a nice calf in the end. prices may be different here but all my show calves brought from 1500 to 2500 and that was on the cheap end. i know people pay alot more, but they are also registered, commercial i wouldnt think brings that much. although i wouldnt say anything less then 1000 isnt worth messing with.

Did I understand you correctly? You are wanting one to show at your county fair that is June 2008? You are talking about a spring born 2007 calf correct?

What part of MO are you in? I have some bull calves on the ground currently that after we pick a couple for kids we will be most likely selling the rest at sale barn this fall. You might be able to find something that is a little better calf than your average sale barn calf out of the bunch.

cattleluvr18":13xsboow said:
yes you will be able to find a calf that cheap and with hard work and proper feed, ect you could get a nice calf in the end. prices may be different here but all my show calves brought from 1500 to 2500 and that was on the cheap end. i know people pay alot more, but they are also registered, commercial i wouldnt think brings that much. although i wouldnt say anything less then 1000 isnt worth messing with.

We buy ours for 400+ at the sale barn bring them home feed, break, and clip them and a whole new cow can emerge after wards. yes i agree, if you can find a Good hefier or steer for under 1000.00 that is easy fleshing good body. helthy lookiong ect. get it if it is what you want..

I have a Reg. Angus Hefier that only cost $1000.00 at 8 monthes old. So really it boils down to being able to pick out good yearlings.Good luck finding a good calf

I have mentioned this before, but I will do it again.

There are good folks out there who cannot afford an animal.

For that reason I have - and so have a couple of neighbours - done the following for kids that are in 4-H. The kid in question MUST be a member in good standing with 4-H.

The 4-H leaders simply added a small part of negotiations and a handshake agreement into the calf program.

I give a calf to the kid. I have done this with the intent that the kid will raise the animal and show the animal.

I assume the risk of death - but it is rare.

When the calf is sold at the end of it all the kid pays me the value of the calf - I do not use a "show" value. I use a market value - based upon the going rate at the time I gave the kid the calf. I also use the weight the calf left the farm and went into his/her possession. The added weight is the kids profit at time of sale.

I am paid immediately after the kid gets the cheque. To date we have never been burned.

They come and they pick the calf of their choice out of what we are prepared to part with. Only one calf from each participating family.

Amazing how some of these kids have done.

In the end, despite my crusty demenour (sp?) this family - a long time ago - came to the realization that not everything is based upon the almighty dollar.

bez>

That is a great thing to do!!!!!!That is how we show too. a man buys them then we show them then send them out to his pasture. when i say "we" i mean this man and us. he pays for them , and we show them..Did not mean to sound like a snob. sorry :)

Bez>":62r0x46s said:
I have mentioned this before, but I will do it again.

There are good folks out there who cannot afford an animal.

For that reason I have - and so have a couple of neighbours - done the following for kids that are in 4-H. The kid in question MUST be a member in good standing with 4-H.

The 4-H leaders simply added a small part of negotiations and a handshake agreement into the calf program.

I give a calf to the kid. I have done this with the intent that the kid will raise the animal and show the animal.

I assume the risk of death - but it is rare.

When the calf is sold at the end of it all the kid pays me the value of the calf - I do not use a "show" value. I use a market value - based upon the going rate at the time I gave the kid the calf. I also use the weight the calf left the farm and went into his/her possession. The added weight is the kids profit at time of sale.

I am paid immediately after the kid gets the cheque. To date we have never been burned.

They come and they pick the calf of their choice out of what we are prepared to part with. Only one calf from each participating family.

Amazing how some of these kids have done.

In the end, despite my crusty demenour (sp?) this family - a long time ago - came to the realization that not everything is based upon the almighty dollar.

bez>

That is a great idea Bez and nice of you! I have tried to think of ways to help grow our decreasing number of Cattle being shown, a system like this might help get more kids showing beef at our County Fair and help those that can not afford that big up front money. We will be having some better than average Bull calves this year and I would love to see them showed instead of going to Sales Barn.

Same type of idea up here but with a twist - a kid who wants to show can go thru the calf pen and gets help picking one out then pays for it with sweat equity meaning helps working out here and does the washing and feeding cattle, mucking out barns and learns how to get a calf ready while helping with chores and my customer cattle. It doesn't take long usally about 60 hours of work for a weaned crossbred calf. Personally i like to see the kids work for the calf it teaches them a sense of what the animal costs and gives a good start. As a bonus it lessens my work load.