Charolais x beefmaster

Help Support CattleToday:

Anonymous":24q5gwqn said:
I have a small herd of beefmaster cows that run with a beefmaster bull called Son of Levi. Each year I get a nice grouping of sturdy calves which I sale when they get 400 - 500 lbs. I was thinking of switching my bull to a Charolais bull. I'm looking for some information about this kind of cross-breeding. Any advice would be appreciated.
I will prefer a Simmental or Simmangus Bull

Anonymous":2s92n0in said:
Sorry guys, I was wrong about Big Spring, it's Three Rivers. In any case, you have all been very helpful in educating me about charolaisxbeefmaster cross. I am so pleased with the advice you have given me and continue to look for more information before I make a decision. My current herd is made up of very hardy cattle. I am away from the ranch a significant amount of time so any bull I choose will have to produce calves that do not have to be pulled. I lost one of my best cows during calfing last year, the first time ever, so it makes no sense in getting a bull that will produce large calves at birth. Dont want to lose any more cows during calfing..

If there is any more information out there please keep it coming.

you also could try Limousin as a terminal breed and for sure you won't need to of have calving problems

you would keep simmental calves and sell limousin calves...why? are limousin calves worth more on the market?

No offense intended to Limo breeders, but I've found that Limo cross females can be pretty squirrely. That may be why the recommendation to sell the Limo heifers, and one I heartily agree with. Irregardless, I'm sure you'll figure out what will work best with your situation.

Take care.

Latest posts