Charge for hauling?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
What is it worth to haul 10 calves about 35 miles one way. Trying to be fair with a neighbor, trading it out for hay. He is setting a value for his hay and I want a realistic rate for the hauling.

125$, I haul local for the salebarn some and with a 24ft trailer no matter how many and how far i get 75$ if it about 30 i get 100$ and if it is 30 to 40 i get 125$ if it is over about 40 i get 3$ a mile. that seems like alot but if you tell who you are hauling for to go buy a 35k truck and a 10k trailer and pay insurance and buy license and some 3.85 a gallon diesel then they will be thinking that 125$ is a bargain.

For me, it would be $3.50 per loaded mile. (ex. 4.00 x 35 = $122.50)

But I also try to make money doing it.

All depends if it's highway or dirt road miles.

Your going to spend at least $20 in fuel alone. Add a blown out tire and your losing money.

I'll add that two other guys around here that do cattle hauling as well, charge a flat $60/hour, which, on a 70-mile haul would mean $120 for them (allowing for load and unload wait times).

Haul his calves and tell him to give you what it was worth to him. Chances are he will treat you better than you would have treated yourself. If he doesn't then don't do him anymore favors.

Sometimes you just have to give folks a chance to do the right thing!

3waycross":30l1fp0c said:
Haul his calves and tell him to give you what it was worth to him. Chances are he will treat you better than you would have treated yourself. If he doesn't then don't do him anymore favors.

Sometimes you just have to give folks a chance to do the right thing!
I agree, and it makes a difference how good of a freind he is, for some i will take a little loss or breakeven to try and help someone when i can.

tom4018":i9z2vgcq said:
What is it worth to haul 10 calves about 35 miles one way. Trying to be fair with a neighbor, trading it out for hay. He is setting a value for his hay and I want a realistic rate for the hauling.

10 calves and 70 miles total? That is diddly squat.

Heck - if he is a good neighbour do it for free - it will come back to you. If he is a pain in the azz tell him to find someone else.

You might need a couple bales of hay down the road and he might just be the person to give them to you

As for being fair - do you always have to make a dollar to help a neighbour?

How about he buys you and the wife supper some night? His place or a restaurant - no matter - money does not always have to change hands does it?

Mine just came by tonight and blew the snow out of the laneway - took him an hour on his 120 HP tractor - no charge.

Just an example and just asking.

Not so sure I want folks as neighbours if they always require money to help someone out - money matters but not always - but you dammed sure would like me just fine because I do not operate that way - never have and never will.

Do I lose out? Once in a while - but more often than not I come out ahead. Best you all think on that a bit before answering.

Best to all

Bez

I agree with bez on this. I would do it for nothing for a neighbor. If they insist i would take no more than fuel cost. I guess there arent many neighbors around like there used to be.

I haul my own cattle to the sale barn. I do not hire to haul for the public. Whenever a neighbor or friend has needed something hauled, If I am able to do it, I have hauled and never charged a penny. I am with Bez on this, you will be far better off in the long run when you treat friends and neighbors this way.

tom4018":2ukig9ji said:

I charge 4 dollars a loaded mile.

snake67":rxbmt6mp said:
tom4018":rxbmt6mp said:

10 calves and 70 miles total? That is diddly squat.

Heck - if he is a good neighbour do it for free - it will come back to you. If he is a pain in the azz tell him to find someone else.

You might need a couple bales of hay down the road and he might just be the person to give them to you

As for being fair - do you always have to make a dollar to help a neighbour?

How about he buys you and the wife supper some night? His place or a restaurant - no matter - money does not always have to change hands does it?

Mine just came by tonight and blew the snow out of the laneway - took him an hour on his 120 HP tractor - no charge.

Just an example and just asking.

Not so sure I want folks as neighbours if they always require money to help someone out - money matters but not always - but you dammed sure would like me just fine because I do not operate that way - never have and never will.

Do I lose out? Once in a while - but more often than not I come out ahead. Best you all think on that a bit before answering.

Best to all

Bez

We have traded out a lot of labor in the past, I did some baling and we just took the going rate for baling and what the hay was worth per bale and that wad how I got paid. He doesn't expect it for free, he is hiring one guy to haul one load, he is hauling 2 and I am hauling 1 for him after I haul mine. I actually thought about a $1 a mile round trip, then I am taking square bales picked up out of the field this year.

I just wanted to be reasonable as this is a money making deal for him as 65 feeders are going to market. We both consigned some calves to the first ever special weaned calf sale at a local barn. He buys lightweights and feends them to 650 or so, usually he has price promised on them before they leave the farm, this is the first true auction he has sold them at. Wish us luck.

I am not in the hauling business I go to the salebarn weekly looking for a deal.
The guy's around know I am going and I will haul three or four for that many people.
If I have ten calves on the trailer it cost them 8 dollar's a head to get them to the barn.
It paid for my diesel, bought me a hamburger and was cheaper than most could have hauled their own.

I look at it a little differently. The neighbors know I am going to the sale. If I have room, it doesn't cost me anything to haul theirs. I am using the fuel and miles, anyway. However, it does help me at the barn, the more cattle I bring in. I get special treatment for the extra business I bring them, plus my neighbors appreciate it, and help me out in situations where I need a little help. I would not ever expect anyone to do something that they are in the business to do for no pay. If you make your living at something, you should get paid.

$10-15 a head.

The best way to keep good friends and neighbors is to just be fair with each other on the cost. The friend part comes in when he helps you load them or shows up when its convienent for both of yall. The flexability of a friend is nice compared to the straight hired haulers.

Latest posts