Chances of cow talking calf.

Help Support CattleToday:

@ksmit454 is the calf getting its fill when nursing mama from the chute?

Does it seem hungry and aggressive while nursing?

Sometimes mama walking away is meant for the calf to follow to get her baby away from "people/danger"
The calf may not understand that since you've been "mama"

Then again....
I ain't there either so it's hard to say. After a few days, I'd let the calf skip a meal or two and pen em up together and see what happens!

If the calf is hungry and aggressive, that'll help tremendously. But if he's already somewhat full, he may not follow mama very easily. And mama don't feel the urgency either since her udder has been drained in the chute with some regularity.

Best of luck!
Send a pic or two if can

@ksmit454 is the calf getting its fill when nursing mama from the chute?

Does it seem hungry and aggressive while nursing?

Sometimes mama walking away is meant for the calf to follow to get her baby away from "people/danger"
The calf may not understand that since you've been "mama"

Then again....
I ain't there either so it's hard to say. After a few days, I'd let the calf skip a meal or two and pen em up together and see what happens!

If the calf is hungry and aggressive, that'll help tremendously. But if he's already somewhat full, he may not follow mama very easily. And mama don't feel the urgency either since her udder has been drained in the chute with some regularity.

Best of luck!
Send a pic or two if can
Yes calf is for sure hungry and vigorous. As soon as I'd take off the side board to the chute, baby would get right up in there and nurse. I would let him nurse until he was full and walked away. Did that 3 times, once with the ace/oxytocin. I know he's hungry because when I go over to check on him he's standing up and bawling for mama but she just stands in the corner by the gate wanting out. So tonight, gave him a bottle because I honestly don't have the time to mess with a crazy mama. I work full time and am in college part time so I tried as best as I could to get mama to like him. I know some say give it a whole week of trying but she has been showing zero signs the few days we tried. Hey, at least I tried.

I figure this is the a best worst case scenario. We could have lost the calf, I thought he was dead when we pulled him. Could have lost the heifer if I wasn't on top of watching her every couple hours. Heifer is going to freezer camp and baby will be bottle fed, casterated soon, and will eventually be grained out like the rest of my steers.

Attachments

• 3B5C4205-7F06-4318-B886-D7422031E6E9.jpeg
    3B5C4205-7F06-4318-B886-D7422031E6E9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • C6CDC6E8-54F3-4894-BCF2-019254DE7F51.jpeg
    C6CDC6E8-54F3-4894-BCF2-019254DE7F51.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
Yes calf is for sure hungry and vigorous. As soon as I'd take off the side board to the chute, baby would get right up in there and nurse. I would let him nurse until he was full and walked away. Did that 3 times, once with the ace/oxytocin. I know he's hungry because when I go over to check on him he's standing up and bawling for mama but she just stands in the corner by the gate wanting out. So tonight, gave him a bottle because I honestly don't have the time to mess with a crazy mama. I work full time and am in college part time so I tried as best as I could to get mama to like him. I know some say give it a whole week of trying but she has been showing zero signs the few days we tried. Hey, at least I tried.

I figure this is the a best worst case scenario. We could have lost the calf, I thought he was dead when we pulled him. Could have lost the heifer if I wasn't on top of watching her every couple hours. Heifer is going to freezer camp and baby will be bottle fed, casterated soon, and will eventually be grained out like the rest of my steers.
Good plan!!

Thanks for the pics. He's a good one!
Try not to get too attached.

Then I guess you'll have to fend for yourself.
Well that's gracious...
It was a reference to the opening for the show Dawson's Creek.

I appreciate the offer, Silver, but it's a different Grand Prairie, about a week's drive south of ya. I've never been to Canada.

It was a reference to the opening for the show Dawson's Creek.

I appreciate the offer, Silver, but it's a different Grand Prairie, about a week's drive south of ya. I've never been to Canada.
Ah, sorry I missed the reference.

Well, if you miss an exit and find yourself north of the Medicine Line just let me know!

512DB626-BCD9-4BDD-A09C-99E4CC237AE0.png
Update: gave the calf his bottle tonight and after he went right over to mama and found a teat. I'm in shock. Been giving mama cow some grain while I give him a bottle. Might try tomorrow only 1/2 bottle and give her grain and see if he will continue to nurse from her. She did nudge him away a few times but he vigorous and kept going back for more. Last we got her in the cute to let him nurse was 11 days ago so I'm sure she's got milk still. At least hoping so!

View attachment 29646
Update: gave the calf his bottle tonight and after he went right over to mama and found a teat. I'm in shock. Been giving mama cow some grain while I give him a bottle. Might try tomorrow only 1/2 bottle and give her grain and see if he will continue to nurse from her. She did nudge him away a few times but he vigorous and kept going back for more. Last we got her in the cute to let him nurse was 11 days ago so I'm sure she's got milk still. At least hoping so!
Good on you for sticking to it!
Sometimes the reward is worth it!!

Glad it's working out. I'd make sure she still has milk. ]f they don't want a calf,
they can dry themselves up after awhile.

Latest posts