Chainsaws.............

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
Another hobby I have along with guns, etc. except I usually don't lose money on the saws . Just bout all of these I rebuilt/refurbished to like new from the ground up whatever they needed. I can bout work on them in my sleep. Here is a picture of my MS660, MS460, MS440, 036, 039, MS260, 026, 026 and I have plenty more. The last few years I have sold dozens on Ebay I rebuilt/refurbished and made money, better than on guns. Anybody else have a habit/hobby working on junk like chainsaws?

3x4LNhw.jpg

Here is a picture of my MS660 I put crank bearings, oil seals, new piston and caber rings, honed the cylinder, new carburetor, baked on new paint, full skip chain, some new plastic, pressure and vacuum tested and it has compression of 170 lbs. plus. It is a sawing beast as it has upwards of 8 hp with the dual port muffler and some of the other mods I did to it. You just about can't stall it in wood. I can saw more in 30 minutes with it than can with a 50cc saw all day.
T7DLFCK.jpg

jltrent":m7j8lql2 said:
Anybody else have a habit/hobby working on junk like chainsaws?

I guess it could be a hobby but I'm always working on my junk saws that the guys tear up so that we can complete a job. One thing that really... PMO is if they let the saw run out of gas or don't fill the oil every time they fuel up. I had a 310 get squished recently and need to fix the handle soon.

I do have CAD as well! I've got somewhere close to 20 of them in running condition.. Most recent addition is a 12mm 044 I bought for $45 (SCORE!!).. Also just put a chinese big bore top end on my 064.. what a bear that thing is, 210 PSI compression and 100 cc , you CANNOT pull it over without decomp.
I have a 394 that's a great saw, a couple 2100's waiting for love, about 6 Husky L65's, 2 Husky 61's, though one is a hotsaw, bored, stroked, ported and piped... dang is that thing fun.. Not many 61's have 34" bars!.. 12,000 RPM in the cut is nice too.
I have a Husky 35 (same as a frontier, built in BC), a Ford (Built by O&R in california).. Then other saws that need love are an 028WB and a 03?

Here's the hot 61
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIk8tc20L7g

J'red 920 super I built for a friend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy7IE3cm4rM

The ford getting test fired
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHYvM_SY-Ac

a very modified L65
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMqUESZUwXU

Are you on AS?

jltrent said:
Another hobby I have along with guns, etc. except I usually don't lose money on the saws . Just bout all of these I rebuilt/refurbished to like new from the ground up whatever they needed. I can bout work on them in my sleep. Here is a picture of my MS660, MS460, MS440, 036, 039, MS260, 026, 026 and I have plenty more. The last few years I have sold dozens on Ebay I rebuilt/refurbished and made money, better than on guns. Anybody else have a habit/hobby working on junk like chainsaws?

3x4LNhw.jpg

Here is a picture of my MS660 I put crank bearings, oil seals, new piston and caber rings, honed the cylinder, new carburetor, baked on new paint, full skip chain, some new plastic, pressure and vacuum tested and it has compression of 170 lbs. plus. It is a sawing beast as it has upwards of 8 hp with the dual port muffler and some of the other mods I did to it. You just about can't stall it in wood. I can saw more in 30 minutes with it than can with a 50cc saw all day.
T7DLFCK.jpg
[/quote

Nice collection :clap:

Are you The Chainsaw Guy on YouTube???

I've been wanting to rebuild my junk 660s but never have time. I make my living running a 660 and you run one a lot its hard to go down in size.

You put in new crank bearings? I've heard they can be hard to get in right?

RiverHills":2ho2qtrd said:
jltrent":2ho2qtrd said:

3x4LNhw.jpg

T7DLFCK.jpg
[/quote

Nice collection :clap:

Are you The Chainsaw Guy on YouTube???

I've been wanting to rebuild my junk 660s but never have time. I make my living running a 660 and you run one a lot its hard to go down in size.

You put in new crank bearings? I've heard they can be hard to get in right?
Put the bearings in the freezer over night and each side of the case in the oven at around 170 degrees or lightly heat the case were the bearing go in before pressing them in. Press them in and take a good look at the placement of the old bearings before pressing them out to get the new bearing back in the same. Probably the hardest part in splitting the case and not tearing up something, especially if the old bearings are real tight. Pressing them in you can find a socket a little smaller than the bearing to press with and yes it is a slow go, but the cold bearing will go in. Do not hammer in a normal temp bearing as that will take some of the case off were the bearing goes in and before you know it the bearing will spin in the case and want hold pressure. Also get OEM replacement bearings (expensive) not aftermarket.

kenny thomas":1blggw3x said:
Get your chainsaw Chaps on!!!!!!
I don't have any... they're on my shopping list for this fall... I did just get a helmet/faceshield/earmuff combo that I've needed for a long time

Finally got this one up and going. It is the left hand version.

qAV0yCo.jpg

jltrent":dlz2qxuw said:
Here is a picture of my MS660 I put crank bearings, oil seals, new piston and caber rings, honed the cylinder, new carburetor, baked on new paint, full skip chain, some new plastic, pressure and vacuum tested and it has compression of 170 lbs. plus. It is a sawing beast as it has upwards of 8 hp with the dual port muffler and some of the other mods I did to it.

170 psi? That's nothing.. I build my 064 with a 066 jug, ported, etc.. 210 psi.. At first I didn't have a decomp on it, and there was just about NO way to start it.. hold on to that handle as hard as you please, it'll pull through your fingers

Here's a vid.. it actually kinda behaved here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGqaitWLAFw

Nesikep":co21izil said:
jltrent":co21izil said:
Here is a picture of my MS660 I put crank bearings, oil seals, new piston and caber rings, honed the cylinder, new carburetor, baked on new paint, full skip chain, some new plastic, pressure and vacuum tested and it has compression of 170 lbs. plus. It is a sawing beast as it has upwards of 8 hp with the dual port muffler and some of the other mods I did to it.

170 psi? That's nothing.. I build my 064 with a 066 jug, ported, etc.. 210 psi.. At first I didn't have a decomp on it, and there was just about NO way to start it.. hold on to that handle as hard as you please, it'll pull through your fingers

The 170 was after one tank of gas. With a new piston and rings it usually rises after several tanks. Also I didn't leave the base gasket off as that tends to send the compression north. From my experience I will take 170 on any saw or 2 cycle engine, but more is better.

Nesikep":1u0edy0o said:
That crank seriously limits the effective length of the bar!
It does need more engineering designing, but for small limbs it works ok. Sinking the whole bar up would be bout impossible to crank. :lol:

jltrent":1a18wg39 said:
Nesikep":1a18wg39 said:
jltrent":1a18wg39 said:

The 170 was after one tank of gas. With a new piston and rings it usually rises after several tanks. Also I didn't leave the base gasket off as that tends to send the compression north. From my experience I will take 170 on any saw or 2 cycle engine, but more is better.

I have a saw that runs like a raped ape, and it only has 135 (The L65 in the vid I posted earlier).. the 210 psi was also after one tank.. I put a farmertec top end on it for $25.. the piped Husky 61 is also a Farmertec 272 top end.. I called it the manhattan project since I figured if it worked, it would blow up.. probably run 10-15 tanks through it and it works just fine... I give it lots of oil though, usually 32:1 or more.

Nesikep":1lib5a7i said:
jltrent":1lib5a7i said:
Nesikep":1lib5a7i said:

I have a saw that runs like a raped ape, and it only has 135 (The L65 in the vid I posted earlier).. the 210 psi was also after one tank.. I put a farmertec top end on it for $25.. the piped Husky 61 is also a Farmertec 272 top end.. I called it the manhattan project since I figured if it worked, it would blow up.. probably run 10-15 tanks through it and it works just fine... I give it lots of oil though, usually 32:1 or more.
I tried a Farmertec cylinder on a Stihl MS 390, ran a couple of tanks through it with plenty of oil and it had bout 130 pound compression. The cylinder wall were scratched all to pieces and the nikasil was so thin it was worthless. I cleaned the original cylinder up with muriatic acid, lightly honed and after one tank of gas around 160 compression. I will either replace with OEM or Meteor pistons and cylinders on any from now on. From my experience 120 compression a saw will run good, but can be a little hard to start, usually a set of rings will boost it on up to 150-160.

For what I do, Farmertec works well enough... On a husky it's a 20 minute job to put a new top end on.. Stihls about an hour.. Meanwhile I can fiddle with port timing, etc on cheap crap. I have tried other chinese top ends and some were absolutely miserable... twisted rings, rings sticking in piston grooves, and pitted cylinders... Thankfully they just refunded me when I sent them pictures of it

Here is the farmertec cylinder with two tanks of gas through it and yes believe it or not it would do 130 psi compression. It was vacuum and pressure tested and the RPMs was digitally set/carb tuned by the saws rating. I could probably still be using it, but quality wasn't very good. I put this on a Stihl MS390 which is a non pro saw. By the time I take the carb off, muffler off, plastic off and undo the 4 cylinder bolts on a pro design saw it probably takes me closer to 45 minutes to get it back together and running.

I feel I wasted my $27 and 45 minutes installing it. Other people may have gotten better ones with better result than I. I don't want another one.
uEV4Qbm.jpg

2TDgDsg.jpg

Latest posts