Chainsaws-Husky or Stihl?

Help Support CattleToday:

J. T.

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new chainsaw. Looking for a medium duty model for clearing brush and felling trees up to 12-16 inches in diameter. Suggestions?

I've got a Husky 261 and I'm not very impressed with it. No torque. That chain better be sharp and you better keep it wide open. My next saw will be a Stihl, most likely a 361 or whatever the replacement is for the old 036. I grew up using Jonsereds, wish they still made the real ones.

I've tried huskys, ONCE, didn;t like them. I have several Stihls for different applications and really like them. One thing in favor of Stihl is that if someone sells them they have to also be able to repair/maintane them. Not so with the other brands.

Well, I'm on the other side of the fence. I got a Stihl MS210. I'm not impressed with it at all. No torque. Now I've been cutting wood for 30 years and that last ol cheap poulan I had was the best cutting saw I ever had.

This Stihl I bought last year is a piece of junk. And I could of bought three of the walmart poulans for what this costs.

I just had some land logged though, and I got some clearing to do so I am interested in other peoples opinions on bigger saws.

Both have ups and downs. Huskys have a better air filter/intake systems. However, they seem to have too many plastic parts and break too often for me. I also don't like the torque range on Husky's. I have better luck out of Stihl. I have an 036 pro for personal use and we use ms440's at work. Virtually no problems except the air filter seems to always be clogged.

cfpinz":38injwjg said:
I've got a Husky 261 and I'm not very impressed with it. No torque. That chain better be sharp and you better keep it wide open. My next saw will be a Stihl, most likely a 361 or whatever the replacement is for the old 036. I grew up using Jonsereds, wish they still made the real ones.

2 friends have had husky saws and one a riding mower - all very displeased with them. Another had a weed eater and its drive shaft gave him problems.

I currently own 2 Jonsereds. One my Dad sold me in mid 70's the other the wife bought for me 3 years ago. Both 53? cc models. The newer one accelerates faster ( great for brushing ) but the older one has more torque and is much more comfortable to use on logs. I average 7 - 10 cords hardwood a year. Great dealership so that is where I am sticking for saws.

I did by a pro model brush cutter ( 074??) from the Stihl place, very heavy duty and dependable. If Jonsered wasn't here my next saw would be a Stihl.

The Bachelor":3c08fyl8 said:
Well, I'm on the other side of the fence. I got a Stihl MS210. I'm not impressed with it at all. No torque. Now I've been cutting wood for 30 years and that last ol cheap poulan I had was the best cutting saw I ever had.

This Stihl I bought last year is a piece of junk. And I could of bought three of the walmart poulans for what this costs.

I just had some land logged though, and I got some clearing to do so I am interested in other peoples opinions on bigger saws.

The 210 is a toy version of a chainsaw :lol2: . The only reason the little poulans seem to cut so well is the narrow pitch chain. It takes very little hp to pull that chain. You can get the same style bar and chain for your Stihl if you haven't already. I won't knock Poulan though, especially Poulan Pro. They're alot of saw for the money. I have a little Poulan Pro myself and sometimes grab it before the stihl, depending on the job. A lot of loggers on the west coast use Poulan Pro, but the bigger versions aren't readily available here.

look at the 20in huskavermn chain saws.they go for about $400 or more new.but they are dang good chain saws.

ALX.":rit6v71l said:
I currently own 2 Jonsereds. One my Dad sold me in mid 70's the other the wife bought for me 3 years ago. Both 53? cc models. The newer one accelerates faster ( great for brushing ) but the older one has more torque and is much more comfortable to use on logs. I average 7 - 10 cords hardwood a year. Great dealership so that is where I am sticking for saws.

Think my old Jonsered that Dad gave me is a 621, weighs about 50lbs but it will flat-out cut, took part of one kneecap off with it. Do you have any experience with the newer plastic ones in the 60-70cc range?

First of all they all beat a cross cut. In 20 years of falling timber I ran mostly Stihl and some Husky. Here in timber country you wont find anything else. I prefer Stihl for balance. vibration, and durability. The shop I deal with is biggest dealer to fallers in the country. They sell both but they tell me they sell more Stihl. So the other pros must agree with me.
I would get a saw slightly bigger than you think you need. For the size trees you mention I would want a saw that can comfortably run a 24 inch bar. Learn how to make a chain sharp and work at keeping that way. The single biggest problem I see is people running a dull chain.

Got a 034 and an 041 Stihl, both about 15 years old. They both crank quick, run strong, and cut good.

When I was a kid, the "Lombard" saw was best........but I don't think they are around anymore.

You need a pretty big saw for that work. Don't buy one too small. My 2 cents.

The last one I bought was a stihl, based on parts and service locations. Husky only had 2 dealerships in this area, and they were small town mom and pop hardware stores,can you say high prices. I have not regretted buying it, I also suggest buying one a little bigger than you think you need. Had an old homelite that was a real cutter, but a back breaker. Always use ear and eye protection, you wont regret it.

cfpinz":3swokc47 said:
ALX.":3swokc47 said:

Think my old Jonsered that Dad gave me is a 621, weighs about 50lbs but it will flat-out cut, took part of one kneecap off with it. Do you have any experience with the newer plastic ones in the 60-70cc range?

I think both of my saws are smaller than yours cfpinz, the newer one is a cs 2153, 18 in bar.
Amazing how fast they will bite you! When I was younger I had one kick out when I put the tip where I shouldn't, lucky I was wearing jeans and longjohns, just made a red mark. Never forgot it though and hasn't happened again.

I think this size is perfect for most folks who want to limb and fell with the same saw, so I have not ventured beyond 53 cc's. Was thinking ( read dreaming ) of doing some lumber milling with a saw and would move up to a bigger saw if that ever happens.

( I almost got the heated grips on the new one, but realized I couldn't let any of my buddies or family see me with it ). :lol:

I've only got experience with older Husky saws (we've got a Rancher and a couple 272s), so I can't comment on the newer ones, however my FIL just bought a new Stihl (same class a saw as a 272) a couple years ago and my 272s will cut rings around it. The Stihl is also hard starting compared to the Husky. The father in law was very disappointed. He's worked bush for 30 years or so, and said he'll be rebuilding his Huskys to take back up north with him this winter.

Rod

I think it was on this board a while ago someone mentioned different makes coming off of the same lines in Sweden?

Huge amount of truth in what dyates and Dave say about keeping them sharp. And you may be surprised at how little it takes to dull a chain.

ALX.":3ti346df said:
Huge amount of truth in what dyates and Dave say about keeping them sharp. And you may be surprised at how little it takes to dull a chain.

And when it's worked while dull you can;t sharpen them ver ywell with a file, takes a grinder to get the work hardened edge off.

I have an old blue Homlite that I inherited from my dad that I use on fence post etc but for cutting firewood I love my Husky. It goes thru hardwood like a hot knife thru butter. I never could sharpen a chain so I just take it to the shop and let them do it for $3.00 when needed which isn't often if I can keep it out of the dirt. I've used several Stihls (friends and or neighbors) thru the years and never liked any of them.

My vote would be for Stihl... I had a Stihl 270 (I think that was the model) and it's the best saw I've ever seen. Keep the chain sharp and you can cut anything with it. Run Stihl oil in the gas and unleaded plus so you don't get the ethanol in it and it'll start on the third pull after sitting in the garage for a year. We worked ours HARD on the farm for 5 years and the only thing I had to replace was the bar and chain and I think one spark plug. GREAT little machine!! I dropped trees 30-40 feet high and about 2 1/2 feet across with it by notching and backcutting, and we cut some REALLY hard stuff with it like bois d'arc and hackberry, all without problems. Couldn't ask for a better saw. In fact it was SO good it disappeared from the garage and nobody I've talked to knows where it is... have to get a new one!

I've had some Husky stuff, the lawn tractor is ok for a cheapy, definitely better than the crappy Western Auto one my Grandmother bought, but Husky stuff is just that-- CHEAPY. Last cheapy chainsaw we bought was a Homelite, and there was never a bigger POS on this Earth that I know of! Stupid thing wouldn't oil the chain right from brand new. After a year it quit oiling at all. I had to carry a five gallon bucket of burned motor oil with me and just dip the bar and chain every minute or two. Not worth a tinker's darn. You couldn't get the thing to start without fighting it for fifteen minutes at least either. The Stihl would start on the third pull after sitting in the shop nearly a year and once she was warmed up would restart on a single pull, even after cooling off an hour or so at times.

The Stihl never let me down. The only other problem I ever had was she wouldn't start one day and didn't run right when she did, so I ran it to the shop (Stihl shops are pretty easy to find, unlike nearly every other brand around) and $10 for a new fuel hose (had cracked and was sucking air) and she started on the first pull. The guy had it fixed in ten minutes and didn't even charge for checking it out and installing the hose. He also told me that the regular cheap unleaded ethanol attacks the rubber in the hose and if you buy mid-grade gas the hoses last a LOT longer. Can't beat that service either...

I'll stick with Stihl... :) OL JR :)

Just out of curiosity I looked to see which models I have. I use them all the time, except the big beast, but never paay attention to the model.
192 with a 14 inch bar
260 pro with a 20 inch bar
044 with a 36 inch bar

I use the 192 for everything I can except bucking larger stuff. Even felling 16-18 inch stuff isn;t a big deal with it.

Latest posts