Dolmar chainsaws

Help Support CattleToday:

ChrisB

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new chainsaw and a local shop sells Dolmar. They look like decent saws but am wondering if anyone on the board has any experience with them.

I don't do a lot of cutting - mostly trimming fencelines and fields. I currently have an old Husky that I got from my dad who pretty much wore it out before he gave it to me. My dad, who cuts a lot, has had good luck with both Husky's and Stihls. The only reason I'm looking at a Dolmar is because of the dealer.

Thanks

Talked with a friend of mine that makes his living working on chainsaws and small engines. He said he's seen very few Dolmars but classifies them as bottom end. But he sells Stihl.

Its not sachs anymore. They are made by husky. A stihl makes the best saw imo. Ive used all three cutting logs. They will all break.

B&M Farms":2ngve2nv said:
Its not sachs anymore. They are made by husky. A stihl makes the best saw imo. Ive used all three cutting logs. They will all break.

That's no joke they all break.
After Rita I had to put mine on a leash to keep them from running off, they would get scared at how big some of the trees were on the ground. The best chainsaw I have is an Echo 670 and it got the shakes a time or two after Rita.
Took the neighbors and I thirteen of us two days to cut out to the FM we had Tractors and Dozer's bowed up. Cut a 24 to 30 inch pine that was laying across the road walk ten feet and cut another one.

I don't cut enough to be entitled to an opinion, but the one thing I won't tolerate is a saw that quits when you set it down. I think if I set my Stihls down and go in and eat dinner, they'd still be running when I came back out.

Larry

Caustic Burno":1p278xe5 said:
B&M Farms":1p278xe5 said:

That's no joke they all break.
After Rita I had to put mine on a leash to keep them from running off, they would get scared at how big some of the trees were on the ground. The best chainsaw I have is an Echo 670 and it got the shakes a time or two after Rita.
Took the neighbors and I thirteen of us two days to cut out to the FM we had Tractors and Dozer's bowed up. Cut a 24 to 30 inch pine that was laying across the road walk ten feet and cut another one.

Wow 30 inche pines?? Wonderful !!!! I'm jsut glad to hear there is still some virgin timber in the country. So much of the Piney Woods has been cut over and replanted in those dinky plantation pines. Even a lot of the state forrest only leave a little buffer of virgin timber by the highway and if you stop and look thru them you see those blasted planted pines behind them. I know they make money in the long run but the never let them get big and old anymore.

TB there are not many left and after Rita and Ike the remaining big timber took a real beating, had a Hickory in the yard that 108 inches around it hit the ground. Up in the forks of the river used to be one of the most beautiful places God made. It was filled with huge oaks and pines teaming in game and lots of gators only accessable by boat this cut out the city boys.
There was 13,000 acres of state land in the forks of the Angelina and Neches, Rita flattened it.

I have 2 dolmars 4600's and 2 stihls o44 and 029. i cut 200-300 rank of wood a year. the 2 dolmars will out cut my 2 stilhl's in a heartbeat. I havent had any problems out of any of them besides normal wear and tare from being used.

I've never heard of Dolmars but what is the age difference between the stihls and dolmars? Are the the same grade? The reason I'm asking is I have a ms310 that is all I need and more. I have only seen one saw put mine to shame and that was a Johnserd sp?

onebull":2bdn1ji8 said:
I've never heard of Dolmars but what is the age difference between the stihls and dolmars? Are the the same grade? The reason I'm asking is I have a ms310 that is all I need and more. I have only seen one saw put mine to shame and that was a Johnserd sp?
Dolmar and Stihl both built a portable chainsaw in 1929. I would say that a Stihl, Husqvarna, Jonsered, and Dolmar are all good saws. I have used or seen all of them being used. If the same size, not modified, and maintained, I cant say one will outcut the other. I prefer the Stihl solely based on in my experience they are more dependable and easier to work on. I live in a logging area and have spent most of my winters in between farming season in the woods. A ms310 is a very capable saw and a great size for the farm.

PUXICO FARMBOY":1b7m9ddv said:
I have 2 dolmars 4600's and 2 stihls o44 and 029. i cut 200-300 rank of wood a year. the 2 dolmars will out cut my 2 stilhl's in a heartbeat. I havent had any problems out of any of them besides normal wear and tare from being used.
There must be something wrong with your 044. Its a 72cc saw That makes 5.40 horses. Compared to your 46cc 4600 dolmars. I call bs.

Does anybody on here remember the old Barker chainsaws they were the first of the one man saws
they were originally called an Ava saw ( the originals were pretty crude and were actually a circular blade saw)then sold out to Barker they were designed and built here where I live
my dad and 3 or 4 other neighbors bought all bought one each back in the 50s at the same time
dad said 2 or 3 of them were great saws and a couple of them had some quirky problems that was kinda a PITA
he said his would run great til you shut it off or ran out of gas and then you would have to change the spark plug to ever get it to start again for some reason
said it was a good saw but you better always have a couple of spare spark plugs with you http://ccheadliner.com/entertainment/ar ... 03286.html
pretty interesting

Angus Cowman":2w3gc5dt said:
Does anybody on here remember the old Barker chainsaws they were the first of the one man saws
they were originally called an Ava saw ( the originals were pretty crude and were actually a circular blade saw)then sold out to Barker they were designed and built here where I live
my dad and 3 or 4 other neighbors bought all bought one each back in the 50s at the same time
dad said 2 or 3 of them were great saws and a couple of them had some quirky problems that was kinda a PITA
he said his would run great til you shut it off or ran out of gas and then you would have to change the spark plug to ever get it to start again for some reason
said it was a good saw but you better always have a couple of spare spark plugs with you http://ccheadliner.com/entertainment/ar ... 03286.html
pretty interesting

Used to tote an old Homelite that was designed like that when I was cutting pulpwood with my uncle, make a man out of you fast or send you home crying. Nothing good about those good ole days but they are gone.
Here is one for 29 bucks, if you were to climb a tall pine here and throw it out be sure to throw a quater with it so you can say you lost something.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Homelite-Bowsaw-Cha ... 0516717525

How many remember the old mercury 2 man chainsaws?I had to handle the small end when I was a kid. Took 2 men to carry them and 2 men to use them.Yuo could release a lever and turn the blade sideways for cutting a tree down.Motor end had handle bars like a motorcycle.Had a gas controll you used your thumb on like a 4 wheeler. I'm here to tell you it was a sure back braker.

Cal

Calman":2w8qfmat said:
How many remember the old mercury 2 man chainsaws?I had to handle the small end when I was a kid. Took 2 men to carry them and 2 men to use them.Yuo could release a lever and turn the blade sideways for cutting a tree down.Motor end had handle bars like a motorcycle.Had a gas controll you used your thumb on like a 4 wheeler. I'm here to tell you it was a sure back braker.

Cal
My dad had 2 of them
I don't know what ever became of them but the only time I ever remember dad using one was when he fell a big oak tree for a neighbor
one had a 6ft bar and the other I think was a 4 or 5ft bar on it both were the same size just different bars on them

I have a Dolmar, Stihl, and 2 Homelites. I can't say that any of them are bad saw's, but I would rather run the Dolmar or Stihl all day than the Homelites. More ergonomic and they seem to rev a little higher. All in all a Dolmar is a good saw in my opinion.

Latest posts