cbb....certified bramer beef

Help Support CattleToday:

I think tape makes a lot of sense. Sometimes we just don't want to hear certain things so the first instinct is to shoot the messenger.

tapeworm":1q61us60 said:
Sorry all this was so long...I hope I got everbodys answer pasted up in the right places...i need to try harder to start keeping up with the cattle boards EVERDAY like you REAL ranchers do. LOL You peopel just keep on trying to run me down to make yourselves look smarter but you have NEVER NEVER NEVER heard me tell anybody to get rid of brahma blood completely and to do without the cow that is efficent for you. NEVER have and NEVER will

Heres some stuff ive said in the past..all from differnt postings months and months apart

"I alwasy said if soem of you think you need some ear in your cowhered..so be it."

"I know you gusy in the south think you need some ear in your cows...i understand that.. "

"Anyhow what I said was to try to use as little ear as possible...not do without it completely...ive alwasy said to use a cow that fits your country "

You folks keep on making up stuff aboput me thats just not true...why?? I say its because you dont want to talk about the TRUTH but 1 things for sure...when you go to talking about the newsman instead of talking about the news theres no point in talking any more...and thats what you foks are doing....posting after posting running me down and calling me names and claimning I said stuff that i never said and ignoring the stuff that i do say

All you folks take care..no hard feelings..i like talking about cattle..even ole floppear
tape if you go back up too to the start of the tread i agreed with you.. my cattle are half or less brahman and i ....most of the time if im not breeding replacements... use a simm. herf. bull using a angus right now. its your constant overkill on this subject that gets under my skin... their are people in the south.... hopefully im one of em that knows when theres enough brahman blood too do the trick and when too go another route ive being going that direction for years.... took some pictures the other day they didnt turn out well. will retry

ALACOWMAN":1w9qzaym said:
its your constant overkill on this subject that gets under my skin... their are people in the south.... hopefully im one of em that knows when there enough brahman blood too do the trick and when too go another route

Ditto.

The one question that I wish he would answer is why can't the Brahman and Brahman derivative breeds improve through selection and GeneStar testing the way other breeds can? If they do that, why can't we then use all the Brahman blood we want to? That's my point. Improve the Brahman breed, and the problem is solved for everyone, even tape's grandkids.

I do find it interesting that back in the days when you could get quality meat at the supermarket, the American cowherd was made up of Hereford, Angus, Shorthorn, and Brahman (yes, Brahman). It was when the Continentals came on the scene that tenderness really declined. Those breeds have improved over time, but in the beginning they caused a lot of problems. Now we've got so many breeds who knows what genetics are at fault? The blame can't be narrowed down to Brahman.

Here's a fact for you, tape. Among fertility, milking ability, hardiness, longevity, feed efficiency, growth, and carcass quality, it is the carcass quality that is least important for the cowman. Not to say that it's not important, because it is. But if a man thinks he needs F1 Brahman-Hereford cows and a Brangus bull in his environment, who are you to tell him otherwise? If the dern packers don't like Brahman blood, why do they keep buying it? If they really don't want it, they would cut the price so much that cowmen would be forced to change.

Tape, the thing you don't seem to understand is that people don't like it when other people tell them what to do, especially in a smart-aleck way like you did with that CBB thing. on top of that, you don't even live in Brahman country. That's like me telling our Canadian friends on here to quit breeding cattle with so much hair. It's the attitude that you are "educating" us that is so abrasive.

One other thing. If you don't know that a lot of the problems with tough meat come from poor feeding practices in the feedlot, you need to do some more research. You simply can't throw a bunch of straight Charolais, Angus, Brahman, Hereford, Limousin, or crosses of these, together and feed them the same and get the same end result in all of them. That's why the feeders and packers keep saying to cut down on the Brahman influence, to make it easier on them. Not that the Brahmans can't perform well, they just have to be fed differently, and in their own pens. But that's work, which people will avoid if they can.

even though i agree with what he say's it a hard too take someone bashing your breed or a breed that makes up part of your herd. i can only stand so much of it without responding in a matter best suited behind the shed ;-)

tapeworm":10iagn5y said:
3MR":10iagn5y said:
I know its none of my business, but why do you guys let him twist you off like that.

He isnt debating with you or discussing opinions in an intelligent manner. He is goading you into an argument then acting astounded when you get irate.

Kind of like the little brother who pick and argument with big brother and then runs off and tells Mom when big brother smacks him :roll:
Tapeworm reply: Who the heck are you and what are you talking about?? Im not *goading*anybody and im sure sorry if Im not intelligent enough for you hotshot...but this is a place for ranchers to talk about cattle..not how smart somebody sounds. What difference does it make if some peopel write better than others?? If you dont have anything smart to say about the subject of brahma cattle and tough beef you can go back to your engliosh teaching. You take care now little cowboy

3mr Reply: :lol: :lol: :lol: Who am I, Im a obviously an "English teaching little cowboy". Oh, and Im a "hotshot" too, so we had better make that Cowboy with a capital "C"

PS: I never said you werent intelligent, but......

...........Theres no "o" in English! 8)

Just joking, that makes it OK, right?? No really, just joking, Now were OK!

Im sorry I offended you

Im ready to drop this but seems some of you folks just alwasy got to get in the last word..which is ok with me..I know that is...but i just had 1 or 2 more remarks...then you last worders can have it. lol

To 3Mr...Everthing is just fine with us...ive got pretty thick skin...itws just that when i feel like somebody is running me down I fight back...probaly shouldnt but I think we all tend to do that..right or wrong. No problems here...I expect id probaly still give you the shirt off my back...ive lost plenty of shirts over the years. Lol

To Alacowman..Ill try to watch out for running it in the ground..nobody wants to listen toa broke record over and over. This is importatn to me and i think to you to..thats why i want peopel to hear me out...not just ignore me like a broken record. I never intended to hurt your feelings or run down your choice of cows...I just want peopel to THINK about the future

To Kent..you said:
"The one question that I wish he would answer is why can't the Brahman and Brahman derivative breeds improve through selection and GeneStar testing the way other breeds can? If they do that, why can't we then use all the Brahman blood we want to? That's my point. Improve the Brahman breed, and the problem is solved for everyone, even tape's grandkids"

Tapeworm reply: Kent i dont know why you want ME to answer that...seems like brahma breedrs need to answer that...not me. I think its a great idea and i dont care if all the cattle killed by tysons or excel have floppy ears and humps...as long as they make good eating for our customers
Sounds like a good idea to me so why dont you push that with the brahma folks and dont make me be the only one to talk about this

You also said:"Here's a fact for you, tape. Among fertility, milking ability, hardiness, longevity, feed efficiency, growth, and carcass quality, it is the carcass quality that is least important for the cowman. "

My reply: kent I know the averge cowman in the south doesnt care about the carcass...thats probaly because of there size..they dont make a living running cows..they dont really treat cattle like a business...theyget paid on pounds and thats all they care about..not ALL of em but Id bet MOST of em are like that.Thats why im preaching this sermon on here Kent...to try to get some of em to give a hoot...otherwise I bet a lot of em wouldnt even know brahmas are a carcass problem

Then you go right back into running down feedrs Kent:
Kent:"If you don't know that a lot of the problems with tough meat come from poor feeding practices in the feedlot, you need to do some more research."

Lol. Make up your mind kent...either you were joking about the feeders or your serious....which is it?? First you talk about feeding practices..then you say you were just joking...then you say feedrs are the probelm...which is it kent?? Everbody knows that feeders arent perfect kent...but guess what? They feed what customers send em to feed..not a lot of yardws feed all company cattle anymore..so they do the best they can with what they get sent to em. I wish that there was a way to segregate the cattle but theres just not enough pen space kent

I really resent the fact that you seem to want to put so much blame on cattle feedrs kent...
"Not that the Brahmans can't perform well, they just have to be fed differently, and in their own pens. But that's work, which people will avoid if they can."
So its all the feedrs fault kent?? Because there lazy?? Lol I wish we had some custom feeders on here that would speak up for thereselves. Or maybe you were just joking again Kent?? Lol

1 more thing kent that you never answered...

You said: "people don't like it when other people tell them what to do"

You said: "on top of that, you don't even live in Brahman country"

If all of that is true...why is it ok for KENT to tell feedrs what there doing wrong when KENT doesnt even live in cattle feeding country?????? Why do I have to live in brahma country to have an opinion about brahma beef but you dont have to live in feeding country to be able to tell feedyards what there doing wrong???
Why is ther 2 sets of rules kent?? 1 set for me and a differnt set for you??

I hoep Im done with this string now...except I look forward to hearing your answers kent. I bet some of the rest of you hope Im done with it to. LOL No ahrd feelings and I hope none of you brimmer foklks hold out ill will toward me. All take care now

Well first off tape most of the folks that have the sorry cattle that you are reffering dont care enough one way are the other to improve. and don't care too learn and dont frequent this site..... its just have me a calf every year too heck with quality. but me using brahman in my cattle i will naturally take offence

ALACOWMAN":1j83a6i3 said:
Well first off tape most of the folks that have the sorry cattle that you are reffering dont care enough one way are the other to improve. and don't care too learn and dont frequent this site..... its just have me a calf every year too heck with quality. but me using brahman in my cattle i will naturally take offence

"its just have me a calf every year too heck with quality."

I hear you cowman...we have those kind around me to...and dont think that they dont hear about it from me ever chance I get

I wish more ranchers were like you and cared aboput the future

tapeworm":22g1vurq said:
Im ready to drop this but seems some of you folks just alwasy got to get in the last word..which is ok with me..I know that is...but i just had 1 or 2 more remarks...then you last worders can have it. lol

To 3Mr...Everthing is just fine with us...ive got pretty thick skin...itws just that when i feel like somebody is running me down I fight back...probaly shouldnt but I think we all tend to do that..right or wrong. No problems here...I expect id probaly still give you the shirt off my back...ive lost plenty of shirts over the years. Lol

To Alacowman..Ill try to watch out for running it in the ground..nobody wants to listen toa broke record over and over. This is importatn to me and i think to you to..thats why i want peopel to hear me out...not just ignore me like a broken record. I never intended to hurt your feelings or run down your choice of cows...I just want peopel to THINK about the future

To Kent..you said:
"The one question that I wish he would answer is why can't the Brahman and Brahman derivative breeds improve through selection and GeneStar testing the way other breeds can? If they do that, why can't we then use all the Brahman blood we want to? That's my point. Improve the Brahman breed, and the problem is solved for everyone, even tape's grandkids"

Tapeworm reply: Kent i dont know why you want ME to answer that...seems like brahma breedrs need to answer that...not me. I think its a great idea and i dont care if all the cattle killed by tysons or excel have floppy ears and humps...as long as they make good eating for our customers
Sounds like a good idea to me so why dont you push that with the brahma folks and dont make me be the only one to talk about this

You also said:"Here's a fact for you, tape. Among fertility, milking ability, hardiness, longevity, feed efficiency, growth, and carcass quality, it is the carcass quality that is least important for the cowman. "

My reply: kent I know the averge cowman in the south doesnt care about the carcass...thats probaly because of there size..they dont make a living running cows..they dont really treat cattle like a business...theyget paid on pounds and thats all they care about..not ALL of em but Id bet MOST of em are like that.Thats why im preaching this sermon on here Kent...to try to get some of em to give a hoot...otherwise I bet a lot of em wouldnt even know brahmas are a carcass problem

Then you go right back into running down feedrs Kent:
Kent:"If you don't know that a lot of the problems with tough meat come from poor feeding practices in the feedlot, you need to do some more research."

Lol. Make up your mind kent...either you were joking about the feeders or your serious....which is it?? First you talk about feeding practices..then you say you were just joking...then you say feedrs are the probelm...which is it kent?? Everbody knows that feeders arent perfect kent...but guess what? They feed what customers send em to feed..not a lot of yardws feed all company cattle anymore..so they do the best they can with what they get sent to em. I wish that there was a way to segregate the cattle but theres just not enough pen space kent

I really resent the fact that you seem to want to put so much blame on cattle feedrs kent...
"Not that the Brahmans can't perform well, they just have to be fed differently, and in their own pens. But that's work, which people will avoid if they can."
So its all the feedrs fault kent?? Because there lazy?? Lol I wish we had some custom feeders on here that would speak up for thereselves. Or maybe you were just joking again Kent?? Lol

1 more thing kent that you never answered...

You said: "people don't like it when other people tell them what to do"

You said: "on top of that, you don't even live in Brahman country"

If all of that is true...why is it ok for KENT to tell feedrs what there doing wrong when KENT doesnt even live in cattle feeding country?????? Why do I have to live in brahma country to have an opinion about brahma beef but you dont have to live in feeding country to be able to tell feedyards what there doing wrong???
Why is ther 2 sets of rules kent?? 1 set for me and a differnt set for you??

I hoep Im done with this string now...except I look forward to hearing your answers kent. I bet some of the rest of you hope Im done with it to. LOL No ahrd feelings and I hope none of you brimmer foklks hold out ill will toward me. All take care now

I think you summed up why your posts are so abrasive to me with this.

Let's see, a man who doesn't live in the South says that most Southern cattlemen don't make a living running cows, most of them don't treat cattle like a business, most of them get paid for pounds and that's all they care about, and don't even know Brahmans can be a carcass problem.

Then the same man says feeders just feed what customers send 'em to feed. They have no choice on what kind of cattle to feed. Hmmm. They also know cattle need to be segregated, but there's just not enough pen space. Guess they don't have steel and welders out there, or creosote posts and 2x6's, because it's just the pen space that's limiting them, not their knowledge or management skills. If they know they need to either search out non-Brahman cattle to feed or build more pens, both of which are hard work, and they do neither, it may not be pure laziness, but it's poor business practice. If they won't do these things, how can I expect that every calf in their lot is really given the opportunity to grade as well as he can?

Nope, according to you it's all the Southern cattleman's fault and no one else's. Why would that bother me, tape? And listen, there are a heck of a lot of feeders in Texas, which is a large part of Brahman country and where most of those type cattle are fed. Most of my calves end up in Texas to be fed. That's why it's OK for me to have an opinion on them. Heck, it's certainly OK for you to have the opinion you have, but don't expect the Southern boys to let you talk about them the way you do.

we have some great breeders here in alabama one of the nations top hereford breeders is here in north ala and ive used his bulls in the past. in fact he was just inducted in the hereford hall of fame.some great angus breeders too. brangus we got cowcreek their hard to beat and camp cooley has a unit in south ala. im kinda proud actually of some of their acomplishments we got great breeder all around no reason we cant use their genetics too improve our herds

Ala, there are some great pure Brahman operations, too as you know. Smith Brahmans in LA is very big into GeneStar testing of their cattle. Hudgins is headed that way, too. My neighbor has 2 Debter bulls and man are they nice. I'm going to Horton this October and I might just come home with one myself. :cboy:

ALACOWMAN":vftfmvig said:
we have some great breeders here in alabama one of the nations top hereford breeders is here in north ala and ive used his bulls in the past. in fact he was just inducted in the hereford hall of fame.some great angus breeders too. brangus we got cowcreek their hard to beat and camp cooley has a unit in south ala. im kinda proud actually of some of their acomplishments we got great breeder all around no reason we cant use their genetics too improve our herds

Dont forget Southern Cattle Company just south of the Al/Fl line, they raise some fine Angus and Charolais cattle. And Lawler farms just won an award for small breeder of the year (or something like that)

We may eat grits here in Dixie, but we have more than sawdust between our ears.

Latest posts