cbb....certified bramer beef

Help Support CattleToday:

BRG":1b6oo3yv said:
That type of aging doesn't even compare to the real deal. We would have alot more people eating beef if it was aged right. I sell my poorest quality animals as 1/4's or 1/2s and people can't believe that the beef can be this good. Alot of it has to do with it being Red Angus, but I have never chased the carcass craze that we are in today. I know most has to do with us aging it for 2 weeks. They pay me a nice premium and we are all happy.

I agree, wet aging is a poor fifth cousin to the real deal.

jersey lilly":1n3qh3wz said:
I've said this before...it may not be the case in every tough steak situation, but it happens more often than not.

PEOPLE THESE DAYS DON'T KNOW HOW TO COOK!!!!! Biggest majority of I'd say under 30 crowd have no clue, it's much easier to go out to eat than to cook at home. So when you have Mrs Joe Blow goin to the grocery store, buyin meat, takin it home, and havin no clue as to what temperature and how long to cook it.....cookin Mr Joe Blow up a piece of bootleather....it's not the breeders fault, or the feeders fault...it's mama's fault for not makin sure that gal learned to cook. And it dont matter what breed or color of hide, or how much or little ear that beef had before it was slaughtered, if the person behind the apron don't know what she's/he's doin it aint gonna be fit to eat.
this is all aside of the fact that meat plants don't let their stuff hang or age at all.....friend of mine hauls beef quite a bit, goes to the kill plant where it's unloaded on the hoof, run thru, slaughtered, and he's had to wait for them to get enuff killed and processed to fill up his truck while he waits. Also....boxes stamped certified angus beef....and ever color hide comes thru there that you can imagine. All goin into them fancy lil boxes.

I've said my 2 cents worth with prolly another nickel's worth thown in there to chew on.

Lot of truth there. My mother used to take the cheapest, rattiest looking piece of meat and by the time she got done with it, it was delicious. But it takes time and effort, things a lot of people shy away from these days. Everything has to be quick and easy, and the first thing to suffer is quality. True of just about anything, not just cooking.

3MR":wzzag9qi said:
tapeworm":wzzag9qi said:
And dont call me a yankee again son. I put up with that from alacowman and only him because we like to poke fun at one another...but my family came west after the civil war...just liek lots of families. My granpas granpa got his arm shot off in the war...serving in an infantry unit...an ALABAMA infantry unit...

Civil War???? Oh, I get it; you are referring to the "War of Northern Agression" :idea:

Also known as the "War of southern stupidity"

dun

Like Rodney King once said: "Can't we all just get along?"

Of course he wasn't interested in "getting along" until after he got the crap beat out of him. ;-)

My biggest complaint is when there is choice beef produced until someone implants them with hormones.

just for the record i don't have to raise brahman influanced if i lived in idaho or montana i would say to he!! with em. it was 98 degrees here yesterday and will be today. we had some folks from up north stop here last year in a travel trailer to have repaired. he steps out and began melting like a snowball. lets see how did he put it...... my gawd how on earth do yuse guys stand this intense heat :lol:.... i just love sht like that. ;-) too which i replied just wait till summer gets here

103 here today, humidity around 60%. Third day in a row over 100. Some cows are layed up in the shade chewing their cuds, some are out grazing in the sun. No Bos Indicus, a couple of blacks all the rest are reds.

dun

Bingo dun..its more about the indvidual!!!! Cattle can aclimate...better than some cattlemen. Lol
But its more about the indvidual..thas why genetics within a breed is so much more importnt than jsut picking a breed and hoping for the best. Select select select...I cant say that enough

Hi everyone i am about to put one of are foals in the pens but we have a bull in the pens. Is it ok to put them togather..
Sam

tapeworm,

You are the type of internet poster people love to dislike. You come on here without using your name, which is OK, but you choose something with a negative connotation like "tapeworm". Then you choose an avatar like the one you have. Then you won't put where you're from. Then all your posts are lectures from the stuff you've read on the net, telling us all how to improve our operations and your grandkids' futures. Heck, we can read, man. Why don't you speak from your experience in your area of the country, wherever that is? There might be someone on here that could use the information.

Like I told Alacowman, there is no argument here. Cattle below a certain latitude need Brahman blood to thrive, period. Of course there are seedstock operations that raise Hereford, Angus, Charolais, and others, but everyone can't run a seedstock operation. If everyone did, they would all end up as commercial operations. Chew on that for a minute. When everyone is raising bulls and females, who is going to buy them? They would all end up in the feedlot. :D

The commercial man has to be able to make a decent profit or he will do something else. That means having animals that thrive, not just survive. Hereford and Angus thrive in the upper three fourths of this country. They do not thrive in low input commercial systems in the lower 1/4. A commercial man cannot select for the adaptability you speak of and make money at it. You may get one in 3 or 4 Angus that can take the heat alone, not to mention the insects. So what's a cowman to do, buy 60 bred heifers and calve them out, then cull out the 40 or 45 that can't adapt? Then buy 50 more and do the same? Finally get a herd and realize that the adaptability is not passed on to all of the replacement heifers? And because of the stress of the environment, the cows wear out at 10 years of age.

Then the guy looks across the fence at the herd of F1 Brafords his neighbor bought at the same time and sees healthy cows in their prime and producing to 15 years of age. Not to mention the maximized hybrid vigor. Let's see, which guy has made more money over the years? It's a slam dunk. Your problem is that you think the cattlemen down here don't know any better, when in fact it is you who doesn't know any better.

I do want to clear up one thing. I was joking about the Midwest feeders. Hence the ;-) . You like to rib others a bit on the rough side, but you sure can't take it.

One more thing, you don't want me to call you a know-it-all yankee? Quit acting like one. Of course, with an avatar like yours, I don't think any further labels are necessary.

tapeworm":3lzkbwu6 said:
Bingo dun..its more about the indvidual!!!! Cattle can aclimate...better than some cattlemen. Lol
But its more about the indvidual..thas why genetics within a breed is so much more importnt than jsut picking a breed and hoping for the best. Select select select...I cant say that enough
I know that a few of you like you and mtn man and some others on here think you are the only cattlemen on board . but you have'nt seen my cattle i on the other hand have had the misfortune of seeing one of your's so id would let this post rest and try another board like health see what you can do there . see if you have any more beneifit to the site you aint seen my cows dont judge em i agree about the percentage of brahmna he!! i was there long before you had too tell me

Kent":ykq1n8yh said:
tapeworm,

You are the type of internet poster people love to dislike. You come on here without using your name, which is OK, but you choose something with a negative connotation like "tapeworm". Then you choose an avatar like the one you have. Then you won't put where you're from. Then all your posts are lectures from the stuff you've read on the net, telling us all how to improve our operations and your grandkids' futures. Heck, we can read, man. Why don't you speak from your experience in your area of the country, wherever that is? There might be someone on here that could use the information.

Like I told Alacowman, there is no argument here. Cattle below a certain latitude need Brahman blood to thrive, period. Of course there are seedstock operations that raise Hereford, Angus, Charolais, and others, but everyone can't run a seedstock operation. If everyone did, they would all end up as commercial operations. Chew on that for a minute. When everyone is raising bulls and females, who is going to buy them? They would all end up in the feedlot. :D

The commercial man has to be able to make a decent profit or he will do something else. That means having animals that thrive, not just survive. Hereford and Angus thrive in the upper three fourths of this country. They do not thrive in low input commercial systems in the lower 1/4. A commercial man cannot select for the adaptability you speak of and make money at it. You may get one in 3 or 4 Angus that can take the heat alone, not to mention the insects. So what's a cowman to do, buy 60 bred heifers and calve them out, then cull out the 40 or 45 that can't adapt? Then buy 50 more and do the same? Finally get a herd and realize that the adaptability is not passed on to all of the replacement heifers? And because of the stress of the environment, the cows wear out at 10 years of age.

Then the guy looks across the fence at the herd of F1 Brafords
  • his neighbor bought at the same time and sees healthy cows in their prime and producing to 15 years of age
. Not to mention the maximized hybrid vigor. Let's see, which guy has made more money over the years? It's a slam dunk. Your problem is that you think the cattlemen down here don't know any better, when in fact it is you who doesn't know any better.

I do want to clear up one thing. I was joking about the Midwest feeders. Hence the ;-) . You like to rib others a bit on the rough side, but you sure can't take it.

One more thing, you don't want me to call you a know-it-all yankee? Quit acting like one. Of course, with an avatar like yours, I don't think any further labels are necessary.
you are dead on kent. thanks for the help from a man that raises herefords and don't really have a dog in this fight its appreciated ;-)

I know its none of my business, but why do you guys let him twist you off like that.

He isnt debating with you or discussing opinions in an intelligent manner. He is goading you into an argument then acting astounded when you get irate.

Kind of like the little brother who pick and argument with big brother and then runs off and tells Mom when big brother smacks him :roll:

3MR":3ncmhe4z said:
I know its none of my business, but why do you guys let him twist you off like that.

He isnt debating with you or discussing opinions in an intelligent manner. He is goading you into an argument then acting astounded when you get irate.

Kind of like the little brother who pick and argument with big brother and then runs off and tells Mom when big brother smacks him :roll:
its the fact that this seems too be his life mission too eradicate the brahman influance . i say the poor feller needs too get a life if that many sorry steaks are hitting the market it aint my fault its the packers and and stores letting them slip through

3MR":2v0z9x4v said:

This could apply to responses on any of these boards. I keep saying to myself, ignore, ignore, ignore...then someone's "belittling for the sheer sake of belittling and couching it in 'I'm just telling it like it is' " remark pushes my "big mouth" button.

Thanks for the reminder.

Alice

Alice":1rksa4cm said:
I keep saying to myself, ignore, ignore, ignore...then someone's "belittling for the sheer sake of belittling and couching it in 'I'm just telling it like it is' " remark pushes my "big mouth" button.

Alice

I know how you feel. :lol: I promise I'll try and do better. Ignore, ignore, ignore...Ignore, ignore, ignore... :help:

ALACOWMAN":15jllmvp said:
thanks for the help from a man that raises herefords and don't really have a dog in this fight its appreciated ;-)

You're welcome, and you see, that's part of the issue here. I raise Herefords and Hereford/Angus crosses. I don't have any ear on my cows because I can get by without it and I realize my calves probably have a little wider market acceptability because of it. But I see my cows struggle through the hottest part of the summer even in north Ga. That's why I calve in the fall. The cows just don't milk as well in the summer and the forage isn't as good. Not to mention the flies and worms. Of course, I control them, but it costs. If I lived any further south, I would be using Brangus bulls instead of Angus bulls, and my cows would run about 1/4 Brahman blood. The calves would be 1/8 to 3/16, and they would probably be a little heavier at weaning and not need to be wormed and sprayed as often. Like I said before, you need animals that thrive, not just survive.

It's ironic that just this past weekend my paw in-law told me about his Angus bull having foot rot from standing in the pond all day. He said he goes in there about 11 a.m. and doesn't come out until nearly 6 p.m. So now he's doctoring foot rot. The bull is surviving, but not thriving. That's fine for a bull, that kind of thing happens. But if all of your cows are doing that, you can't make a living.