cbb....certified bramer beef

Help Support CattleToday:

never said he was wrong i agree with most of what he says but he dont know when the HE!! stop. speak your dam mind and move on too another subject dam this gets old i dont raise red angus, charolias or what ever i like em just dont raise em and i dont run em down either......what do you love about brahman caustic that makes you raise em? people can have valid points and not pi$$ you plumb off too no matter what they say you would'nt listen

ALACOWMAN":19wqc04a said:
never said he was wrong i agree with most of what he says but he dont know when the HE!! stop. speak your dam mind and move on too another subject dam this gets old i dont raise red angus, charolias or what ever i like em just dont raise em and i dont run em down either......what do you love about brahman caustic that makes you raise em? people can have valid points and not pi$$ you plumb off too no matter what they say you would'nt listen

:lol2: :lol2: :clap:

Ya'll are the ones that keep fighting with a man that is right.
You don't need the brahman influence as 30 years ago unless your still running cows in salt grass country.
To anwser your question Brammers are great momma's and can eat 16 penny nails and crap barb wire. But even I have been reducing the brammer influence I have. If they could compete one on one at the salebarn would be a different story.
But so can Herf's, Gert's, Beefmasters, Shorthorns, Longhorns,Brangus, Brafords and several others.

The Brammer breeders need to get in high gear and start breeding more for the consumer and the feedlot buyer.
The days of running a cow herd with no maintianece and left to there own until sale is over if you want to be competitive.

Caustic Burno":2i53fx1r said:
You don't need the brahman influence as 30 years ago unless your still running cows in salt grass country.
To anwser your question Brammers are great momma's and can eat 16 penny nails and crap barb wire. But even I have been reducing the brammer influence I have. If they could compete one on one at the salebarn would be a different story.
But so can Herf's, Gert's, Beefmasters, Shorthorns, Longhorns,Brangus, Brafords and several others.

The Brammer breeders need to get in high gear and start breeding more for the consumer and the feedlot buyer.
The days of running a cow herd with no maintianece and left to there own until sale is over if you want to be competitive.
thats right have no problem with that. my calves are 1/4 to 3/8 that go too market. but you are the one that has said you got to dance with the one that brought you. hey if he dont like brahman that fine can live with that. sleep with it too but dont talk above me. he dont intimidate me

Caustic Burno":cofulvhq said:

I think hell just froze over. :shock:

Frankie":2q1ydwqe said:
Caustic Burno":2q1ydwqe said:

I think be nice just froze over. :shock:
he may be sideing with tape here . he's been breeding brahman x for these last 30 years. of the afore mentioned 30 and all of a sudden they aint working out. i think he will stick with brahman influance no matter how loud tape preachs. just like im gonna stay with brangus

No flip flop cowboy, I never said I was a Bramhan breeder I started with F-1's and have always ran a British bull to knock off the hide and ear. I still love the breed you just can't make the money with them as others and thats a fact. I raise cattle for capital and capital only. I like longhorns as well ,just a hobby breed as they are not able to compete with todays beef. The industry is constantly changing and Brammers haven't kept up thats a fact. The Northern feedlots discount them thats a fact. Nothing better than an F-1 tiger momma for raising a kick butt calf out of a good British or Cont. bull, I am just to old to run and leap tall fences anymore thats a fact.
It is one thing to take a nickel hit at the salebarn another a quarter, if all things had been equal I would have never changed what I was doing. I started heading to a British based herd you have to give the consumer what he wants I have steadily been moving to a Hereford/Brangus herd, that is what the buyer wants. The black baldie always brings top dollar here thats a fact.

Caustic Burno":13dq50so said:
No flip flop cowboy, I never said I was a Bramhan breeder I started with F-1's and have always ran a British bull to knock off the hide and ear. I still love the breed you just can't make the money with them as others and thats a fact. I raise cattle for capital and capital only. I like longhorns as well ,just a hobby breed as they are not able to compete with todays beef. The industry is constantly changing and Brammers haven't kept up thats a fact. The Northern feedlots discount them thats a fact. Nothing better than an F-1 tiger momma for raising a kick butt calf out of a good British or Cont. bull, I am just to old to run and leap tall fences anymore thats a fact.
It is one thing to take a nickel hit at the salebarn another a quarter, if all things had been equal I would have never changed what I was doing. I started heading to a British based herd you have to give the consumer what he wants I have steadily been moving to a Hereford/Brangus herd, that is what the buyer wants. The balk baldie always brings top dollar here thats a fact.

You make good sense to me. That is why I quit running stright Highlands years ago you have to sell what people are buying not just what you may like to raise. The feedlots know what they want and will not pay you top dollar if your not selling it.

Caustic Burno":2fa1r2u7 said:
It is one thing to take a nickel hit at the salebarn another a quarter, if all things had been equal I would have never changed what I was doing. I started heading to a British based herd you have to give the consumer what he wants I have steadily been moving to a Hereford/Brangus herd, that is what the buyer wants. The black baldie always brings top dollar here thats a fact.
thats right the f1moma raises a kick butt calf out of a strait bred bull i cull and cull some more. on navel/ teats butt and so on they raise great calve's dont see any reason to change partners . just because its some ones battle cry

S.R.R.":1pfxi3x4 said:
Caustic Burno":1pfxi3x4 said:
It is one thing to take a nickel hit at the salebarn another a quarter, if all things had been equal I would have never changed what I was doing. I started heading to a British based herd you have to give the consumer what he wants I have steadily been moving to a Hereford/Brangus herd, that is what the buyer wants. The balk baldie always brings top dollar here thats a fact.

You make good sense to me. That is why I quit running stright Highlands years ago you have to sell what people are buying not just what you may like to raise. The feedlots know what they want and will not pay you top dollar if your not selling it.
yeah you may of quit selling strait highlands but you still use em. how come?

ALACOWMAN":126mvwpq said:
S.R.R.":126mvwpq said:
Caustic Burno":126mvwpq said:

yeah you may of quit selling strait highlands but you still use em. how come?

I have always been a strong believer that you have to raise cattle that fit their environment if not you are asking for trouble. I also believe that less cost input adds to your in pocket money at the end of each year. I have a lot of pasture but not a lot of perfect pasture. We have the kind of cold weather that makes people raising Char ect. put their cattle in the barn each night and feed them a bit of grain.

Now to your question. I have an honest amount of Highland in my F-1 cows because.

#1 the bit longer hair means my cows eat less hay are not put in the barn or given grain in the winter (= loss cost input.)

#2 my cows thrive on the type of pastures I have raising a continental sired calf each year and breeding back on time.(= good productivity)

#3 hardiness and calving ease. I am thankful to say we have very little sickness or injury and calf pulling is almost unheard of. (= less calf loss, less time and cost input ).

I am the first to say unless you are finishing and sending your calves to the butcher yourself straight Highlands are not the way to go. I am also the first to say more people with cold winters and not so perfect pastures could find some real benefit in adding a bit of Highland to the pudding as they say. ;-)

Frankie":1w5tt23k said:
Caustic Burno":1w5tt23k said:

I think be nice just froze over. :shock:

:lol: :lol:

Took me a while but Ive got answers ready for some of yiou...Im not ignoring the rest of you...just takes me a while. Lol

Kent":3nobyezw said:
tapeworm,

You are the type of internet poster people love to dislike. You come on here without using your name, which is OK, but you choose something with a negative connotation like "tapeworm". Then you choose an avatar like the one you have. Then you won't put where you're from. Then all your posts are lectures from the stuff you've read on the net, telling us all how to improve our operations and your grandkids' futures. Heck, we can read, man. Why don't you speak from your experience in your area of the country, wherever that is? There might be someone on here that could use the information.

Like I told Alacowman, there is no argument here. Cattle below a certain latitude need Brahman blood to thrive, period. Of course there are seedstock operations that raise Hereford, Angus, Charolais, and others, but everyone can't run a seedstock operation. If everyone did, they would all end up as commercial operations. Chew on that for a minute. When everyone is raising bulls and females, who is going to buy them? They would all end up in the feedlot. :D

The commercial man has to be able to make a decent profit or he will do something else. That means having animals that thrive, not just survive. Hereford and Angus thrive in the upper three fourths of this country. They do not thrive in low input commercial systems in the lower 1/4. A commercial man cannot select for the adaptability you speak of and make money at it. You may get one in 3 or 4 Angus that can take the heat alone, not to mention the insects. So what's a cowman to do, buy 60 bred heifers and calve them out, then cull out the 40 or 45 that can't adapt? Then buy 50 more and do the same? Finally get a herd and realize that the adaptability is not passed on to all of the replacement heifers? And because of the stress of the environment, the cows wear out at 10 years of age.

Then the guy looks across the fence at the herd of F1 Brafords his neighbor bought at the same time and sees healthy cows in their prime and producing to 15 years of age. Not to mention the maximized hybrid vigor. Let's see, which guy has made more money over the years? It's a slam dunk. Your problem is that you think the cattlemen down here don't know any better, when in fact it is you who doesn't know any better.

I do want to clear up one thing. I was joking about the Midwest feeders. Hence the ;-) . You like to rib others a bit on the rough side, but you sure can't take it.

One more thing, you don't want me to call you a know-it-all yankee? Quit acting like one. Of course, with an avatar like yours, I don't think any further labels are necessary.
Tapeworm reply: I dont care if you like me or not kent...thats not why Im here. Why dont you quit trying to run me down and talk about the problem??? Im not the problem...I know if someboedy told me today taht angus or hereford cattle were tough and were causing problems Id find something else or try to improve..not cuss the peopel that told me that..thats how importatnt the future is to me. Sounds like your floppear boys are just to greedy and worry to much about the efficent cow to care about the future for all the rest of us
i never said that everbody needed to be seedstock guys either..just that theres plenty of straightbred angus and her cattle in the south..so that when you said that people in the south had to have ear to make a living..well that wasnt true was it kent??
And you said 2 different things about feeders...one of them with the little wink and the first one was about feedrs feeding cattle properly...did you already foprget that?? Gop back and look kent. How many big feedyards do you ahve around you kent?? I guess its okay for you to tell feedyards how to feed cattle when there 1500 miles aways but not okay fopr me to tell southerneres to watch that ear because Im not down there?? Why the difference kent??
Just keep it up with calling me names and talking about my aviater..easier for you to do that than talk about the FACTS

ALACOWMAN":2tgnf1wo said:
tapeworm":2tgnf1wo said:
Bingo dun..its more about the indvidual!!!! Cattle can aclimate...better than some cattlemen. Lol
But its more about the indvidual..thas why genetics within a breed is so much more importnt than jsut picking a breed and hoping for the best. Select select select...I cant say that enough
I know that a few of you like you and mtn man and some others on here think you are the only cattlemen on board . but you have'nt seen my cattle i on the other hand have had the misfortune of seeing one of your's so id would let this post rest and try another board like health see what you can do there . see if you have any more beneifit to the site you aint seen my cows dont judge em i agree about the percentage of brahmna he!! i was there long before you had too tell me
Tapeworm reply: Where did that come from cowman?? I wasnt even talking to you..you sure are hard to get along with...do you wake up in a differnt world everday?? seems like some days your halfway agreeable and other days your just to grouchy to be around...for no reason..Ive tried to get along with you but you sure do make it tough. TOUGH...thats a joke..get it?? LOL
You can keep on talking about my little cow all you want to..at least i was man enough to post a picture of my most efficent little cow...and take all the teasing LoL...whats your excuse?? Id really like to see your cattle so why dont you show us all??

3MR":2mv7qwji said:
I know its none of my business, but why do you guys let him twist you off like that.

He isnt debating with you or discussing opinions in an intelligent manner. He is goading you into an argument then acting astounded when you get irate.

Kind of like the little brother who pick and argument with big brother and then runs off and tells Mom when big brother smacks him :roll:
Tapeworm reply: Who the heck are you and what are you talking about?? Im not *goading*anybody and im sure sorry if Im not intelligent enough for you hotshot...but this is a place for ranchers to talk about cattle..not how smart somebody sounds. What difference does it make if some peopel write better than others?? If you dont have anything smart to say about the subject of brahma cattle and tough beef you can go back to your engliosh teaching. You take care now little cowboy

ALACOWMAN":1zl6vn2y said:
3MR":1zl6vn2y said:
I know its none of my business, but why do you guys let him twist you off like that.

He isnt debating with you or discussing opinions in an intelligent manner. He is goading you into an argument then acting astounded when you get irate.

Kind of like the little brother who pick and argument with big brother and then runs off and tells Mom when big brother smacks him :roll:
its the fact that this seems too be his life mission too eradicate the brahman influance . i say the poor feller needs too get a life if that many sorry steaks are hitting the market it aint my fault its the packers and and stores letting them slip through
Tapeworm reply: I never said anything about getting rid of all brahma cattle ..jsut about getting by with less of it. You peopel just hear what you want to hear and ignore the truth about what I said..you need to go back and read some more of what Ive said..I never said to get rid of brahmas...NEVER

Kent":f93k6d7e said:
ALACOWMAN":f93k6d7e said:
thanks for the help from a man that raises herefords and don't really have a dog in this fight its appreciated ;-)

You're welcome, and you see, that's part of the issue here. I raise Herefords and Hereford/Angus crosses. I don't have any ear on my cows because I can get by without it and I realize my calves probably have a little wider market acceptability because of it. But I see my cows struggle through the hottest part of the summer even in north Ga. That's why I calve in the fall. The cows just don't milk as well in the summer and the forage isn't as good. Not to mention the flies and worms. Of course, I control them, but it costs. If I lived any further south, I would be using Brangus bulls instead of Angus bulls, and my cows would run about 1/4 Brahman blood. The calves would be 1/8 to 3/16, and they would probably be a little heavier at weaning and not need to be wormed and sprayed as often. Like I said before, you need animals that thrive, not just survive.

It's ironic that just this past weekend my paw in-law told me about his Angus bull having foot rot from standing in the pond all day. He said he goes in there about 11 a.m. and doesn't come out until nearly 6 p.m. So now he's doctoring foot rot. The bull is surviving, but not thriving. That's fine for a bull, that kind of thing happens. But if all of your cows are doing that, you can't make a living.
tapeworm reply: LOL listen to what you just said kent:
Kent:" If I lived any further south, I would be using Brangus bulls instead of Angus bulls, and my cows would run about 1/4 Brahman blood. The calves would be 1/8 to 3/16, and they would probably be a little heavier at weaning and not need to be wormed and sprayed as often. "

Now this is what I said a good while back

tapeworm :"Anyhow what I said was to try to use as little ear as possible...not do without it completely...ive alwasy said to use a cow that fits your country but just how much ear does shje have to have?? I say 3/8 is the MOST you would need but probaly a 1/4 eared cow would give you all you need...then you could almost take all of that out of your calf crop with the right bull "

Heres another posting I made awhile back kent:
Tapeworm:"I alwasy said if soem of you think you need some ear in your cowhered..so be it. But sure try to take it out when you select bulls. For you peopel that think you need ear in a cow..do you really think there is any advantage to having more than 3/8 in one?? That would seem ideal to me or else the brangus folks wouldnt have settle on it. That would let you use a good Angus or chaorlais bull on those cows depending on if you go for quality or yield grade and get your calves down to 3/16 ear...less than a quarter...what feedyard managers are BEGGING you to do"

Now you tell me why your so much smarter than me kent?? Tell me please

ALACOWMAN":f5ltcnra said:
Caustic Burno":f5ltcnra said:

thats right have no problem with that. my calves are 1/4 to 3/8 that go too market. but you are the one that has said you got to dance with the one that brought you. hey if he dont like brahman that fine can live with that. sleep with it too but dont talk above me. he dont intimidate me
tapeworm reply: Where did I ever try to talk above you cowman?? and where did I ever try to intimdate you?? I NEVER have...if you feel below me or if your scared of me for some reason thats on you...i never did anything to make y9ou feel that way. FACT...one day Id like to get together with you and see your cattle cowman and talk about good horses and the differnces in cattle...ive still got a lot to learn to and id like to see your stock if I ever get down south....and someday Id like to show you some of mine if yiou ever have a few days to spend up here in *yankeeland* LOL I never tried to intimdate you or talk down to you cowman...NEVER

Sorry all this was so long...I hope I got everbodys answer pasted up in the right places...i need to try harder to start keeping up with the cattle boards EVERDAY like you REAL ranchers do. LOL You peopel just keep on trying to run me down to make yourselves look smarter but you have NEVER NEVER NEVER heard me tell anybody to get rid of brahma blood completely and to do without the cow that is efficent for you. NEVER have and NEVER will

Heres some stuff ive said in the past..all from differnt postings months and months apart

"I alwasy said if soem of you think you need some ear in your cowhered..so be it."

"I know you gusy in the south think you need some ear in your cows...i understand that.. "

"Anyhow what I said was to try to use as little ear as possible...not do without it completely...ive alwasy said to use a cow that fits your country "

You folks keep on making up stuff aboput me thats just not true...why?? I say its because you dont want to talk about the TRUTH but 1 things for sure...when you go to talking about the newsman instead of talking about the news theres no point in talking any more...and thats what you foks are doing....posting after posting running me down and calling me names and claimning I said stuff that i never said and ignoring the stuff that i do say

All you folks take care..no hard feelings..i like talking about cattle..even ole floppear