caught wild bull, now what?

Help Support CattleToday:

Have to agree with the board...he is a example of why Lims have a dostility EPD.
Get him to the sale barn the next sale day...or the day before so he can buddy up to one of the big boys in the bull pen...maybe not a good idea, you want him to be able to walk into the ring.
DMc

WAguy":1h9wymh7 said:
Okay, dumb question from a non-professional.

When taking your nutcases to the salebarn, do you let the next guy know their status, or is it all buyer beware? In other words, is the salebarn a place where everyone just trades their problems for another one?

Joy in Texas, you say you bought a crazy heifer, then you hauled her back and sold her.

We don't sell nutcases (Herefords), but I have seen a lot of crazy cattle at the salesbarn. I work as a nightwatchman for the yards and have seen a limo steer that could clear a 6 foot panel, struggle over a 7 foot panel and get his front legs over an 8 foot auction ring. My philosophy is this, don't be cheap and buy breeding stock of any kind at a regular old cattle sale, and don't buy feeder cattle unless you know you have the facilities to handle the worst of the worst. I have seen some pretty quiet animals go into the ring, but also know the havoc they did the night before and are just too tuckered out to make war in the ring.

WAguy":1benmoem said:

When taking your nutcases to the salebarn, do you let the next guy know their status, or is it all buyer beware? In other words, is the salebarn a place where everyone just trades their problems for another one?

We've always informed the yard people anytime we've sold a dangerous animal through the salebarn. So far as I know, the animal was marked accordingly. Now, having stated that, buying through the salebarn is always a crapshoot - there is a reason those animals are there. If one is experienced, they know what to look for and can get some good deals. If one is a newbie, I would strongly suggest buying from another source.

The auction markets are not EVIL places. They provide a service and allow producers to get all their cattle were worth on that day and at that place by competitive bidding. Sure people take their ill tempered cattle there. They also take their gentle ones too.

I sold cull cows at the auction and also railed a few at the packing house. Had a friend that thought he was cutting a fat hog in the a$$ by hauling straight to packer and bypassing the auction (not having to pay commission). I suggested that he gate cut some cows off and drop them by the auction on his way to the packing house. The cows at the auction brought $50+ a head even after paying 3% commission, yardage, brand inspection and insurance. I knew the buyer for that packer and asked him the following week what he had on the cows. I told him what my friend had gotten on the rail and he told me that the cows he bought at the sale that week were $8 per cwt. higher.

Well what did you do the critter?
I think take him to the sale barn and tell the person checking them in that he is wild. You don't want barn workers hurt.
Then take what you get for him and put it tword a "good" bull.

WAguy":2jlnqqik said:

Joy in Texas, you say you bought a crazy heifer, then you hauled her back and sold her.
When buying from a sale barn you never know what you are buying. But let me be clear. The man of the house bought this heifer. Not me.
When buying at the auction barn. I can pretty much tell which ones are going to be to flighty. If one starts shaking , charging,blowing snot, wild eyed crazy look ,in their 60 seconds of fame.Let her be... I don't care how pretty they are.
Yes when we are taking a nut case to the auction barn. They know when we unload them. To many kids that work there. I hate to see someone hurt.
Feedlots end up with most of these type of animals.
And no we did not haul her back yet. But she's going.

That's the fun part, taking cattle to the auction and seeing how many guys they put on the fence.... :lol:

Those guys know what they are dealing with by working there... most of those "kids" have probably worked more cattle in a summer than most people on this forum have their whole life. ;-)

backhoeboogie":1hdu7nr7 said:
When you turn him out he'll just figure he's finally free.
  • >>He'll take a vow to never be caught again.<<<
im bettin' that vow is top priority as we speak, he's just waiting on a glimmer of opportunity

WAguy":3ea4j0zf said:

Not if you don't buy stock from the sale barn.....

Buy stock from a breeder who is not ashamed to show you through his cattle and tell you about em.
does not have to be high dollar registered stuff, just and honest cowman.

Not to mention the diseases you can bring home from a trip to the salebarn.

Brute 23":3qdk8b7e said:
That's the fun part, taking cattle to the auction and seeing how many guys they put on the fence.... :lol:

Those guys know what they are dealing with by working there... most of those "kids" have probably worked more cattle in a summer than most people on this forum have their whole life. ;-)
This post brings back memories and you are right. I used to be one of those "kids".

Yeah i did it for six mopnths before going into the army.

Fun time. Long days....

Saw the worst bull mauling of my life during that time and I don't know if the guy lived or died.

Bull knocked him down and pushed a gate over him and I could hear the bones breaking. Bull put a foot in his gouts and pushed him with his head and then went on down the alley. Bull was coming back at him for another pass when I threw the guy over the fence and jumped up on it myself.

bunch of folks hauled him away and I was still dealing with the bull.

Where in the world do you people sell your cattle???? With all this neg. stuff about auctions I can't tell, if or where, some of ya'll buy and sell cattle.

I have 5 salebarnes within an hour of my place....selling mon-fri. Around here we deal mostly in truckload lots, or at least 36' GN loads. If I have a man looking for stockers to turn on wheat, he will be putting cattle out in lots of five hundred head, and they will come from a sale barn, and be #1 nice cattle.

I worked at a sale barn for 5 years penning back and loading on sale day, we would handle around 75,000 hd/year....the good, the bad, the ugly, and the really mean ones. Its a good way to learn about the REAL world, in the cattle business.

We buy replacements from a local breeder, and every now and then you get a physcho that slips thru, but thats where the relationship comes thru. I make one phone call, and when I get her back to him, he has 5 to choose from for my replacement.

Ryder":n5tofgj6 said:
Brute 23":n5tofgj6 said:

This post brings back memories and you are right. I used to be one of those "kids".

Did the same thing in High School and worked the racetrack summers. Sale barn was the best though, learned how to run , climb, cuss, and chew tobacco, all at the same time. Great times. Plus you could get more training done on a horse in those pens than anywhere else I ever saw.

Good point Brute, I wonder how many people get to work cattle for other people. Its hard to learn anything working your own or family cattle 2 times a year.

When I was in the fulltime day-work business I was working outside cattle about 3 days a week plus 1 day at the sale barn penning back and loading 1,500 hd. Thats handeling around 100,000 hd/year. It gives you a little different perspective than someone who workes their own 100 hd 2 times a year.

I wasn't thinking the salebarns are evil places, but was wondering if their are generally accepted rules of behavior. If there aren't, and everyone knows its buyer beware, then fine, may the best man win.

A post on another forum first raised this question in my mind. A guy had a Jersey cow that had a bad case of milk fever. Got her over it, and the vet suggested he haul her to the sale. Well, the buyer won't know she is prone to milk fever til the next calving. So I asked this guy if she would be promoted as hamburger, or would be sold as a milk cow without warning. He never answered.

Another memory is the church friend of ours who has a feedlot. I worked there a while back, and noticed the pneumonia doctoring crew occasionally gave a shot of cortisone in the trachea. I did some reading which said that would temporarily make them feel better, but would reduce immunity, then they'd be worse. I kept asking our friend why they did that, and he eventually admitted it was to make them look better without coughing for a day or so while they hauled them to the sale.

Didn't seem to quite jive with what we'd been taught in church.

a dairymen knows how to handle milk fever.so if she was sold as a milk cow thats no big deal.when she calves hitt her with 2 tubes of calicum or a bottle of calodex problem solved.

bigbull338":3ht0gfui said:
a dairymen knows how to handle milk fever.so if she was sold as a milk cow thats no big deal.when she calves hitt her with 2 tubes of calicum or a bottle of calodex problem solved.
So why did the vet recommend she be sold?

Latest posts