Cattle Warts

Help Support CattleToday:

ddjenkins

Reaction score
What is the best treament for cattle warts? I have some young calves, in the last 6 to 8 weeks that are showing these warts around their necks and faces.

They will probably fall off soon not much to worry about. Usually caused by some kind of virus. same reason humans get them.

If you just have to do something, you can tear one off so that it bleeds, the others will fall off within a short time. You can also leave them alone and they will eventually go away on their own. Or you can follow the OWT and cut one of and feed it 2 the calf, or instead of feeding it to him, you can bury it in your uncles neighborsd friends sisters yard. Other then just letting them go away on their own, any of those other 3 will help.

dun":1yrbniub said:
If you just have to do something, you can tear one off so that it bleeds, the others will fall off within a short time. You can also leave them alone and they will eventually go away on their own. Or you can follow the OWT and cut one of and feed it 2 the calf, or instead of feeding it to him, you can bury it in your uncles neighborsd friends sisters yard. Other then just letting them go away on their own, any of those other 3 will help.

Dun,
I have a bull that hd fist size that went away withing 2 weeks of the vaccine. I have a heifer that had her vaccine over 4 weeks ago and is getting more of them and there are several big ones on her eyelids. When going thru the chute 2 weeks ago, she cut one and it bled. How long would it take for that to help get rid of those creeping warts? Or should I get another vaccine shot in her?
Valerie

vclavin":1xirrs7f said:
dun":1xirrs7f said:

Dun,
I have a bull that hd fist size that went away withing 2 weeks of the vaccine. I have a heifer that had her vaccine over 4 weeks ago and is getting more of them and there are several big ones on her eyelids. When going thru the chute 2 weeks ago, she cut one and it bled. How long would it take for that to help get rid of those creeping warts? Or should I get another vaccine shot in her?
Valerie

(I know, I'm not Dun, but) Honestly Valerie I'd just crush a few with a pliers and then stop looking at them, benign neglect works wonders on warts. The only time I ever interfere at all is when they are causing irritation to an eye. Never have seen much point in the vaccine, IMHO it helps you feel better but doesn't do much else.

Unless the vaccine contins the exact pahtegon that is causing your particular warts (doubtfull) the vaccine isn;t going to do diddly. If you gave a shot and they went away there is as much of a chance that they went away on their own (which they will eventually do) as there is from the vaccine. Many years ago we would pull some warts and send them to the U and they would make a vaccine for our specific warts. Costwise it wasn;t much but it was more then just letting nature take her course.

I must be lucky on the vaccine. It usually clears them up in a week or so. I would not have bothered on the butcher bull but the warts kept getting bigger and bigger and really spreading on his face and neck..I'm talking HUGE warts as big as my fist. It was starting to interfere with eating. This heifer has been with warts on her eye lids now for 2 months I believe it is and the shot was about 2 weeks ago. Warts are not going away and are making her eyes water and she is squinting. She did break one open when AI'ing her. Does it take a long time after making the warts bleed?
I'm worried about her eye sight being damaged.
Valerie

I really don;t know how long it takes for them to go away. I don;t inspect for warts, I'll notice theat they have them and then I notice they don;t

Again, I'm with dun - I notice they have 'em, and then, later, I notice they're gone. I don't even bother to crush them anymore, and I don't keep tabs on how long it takes for them to regress.
We have a coming 2-yr old that has the name 'Wart' - 'cause she had a number of 'em around her head earlier this fall, but they're now gone - but the name stayed.

The commercial wart vaccines typically contain about 10 different strains of wart virus - but unless the strain(s) present in your herd are in the vaccine, it won't make much, if any, difference.

Latest posts