Cattle warts?

Help Support CattleToday:

Almaza 13

Reaction score
Does anybody know what these are on this cattles face/body? And how to get rid of them? Thanks in advanced

dun

Reaction score
Yup, they are warts. You can do a bunch of things that will help git rid of them. Everything from actual science to voodoo magic. Or you can leave them alone and they will eventually clear up on their own

ddd75

Reaction score
i just had a cow with them all over his face.. entire face covered.. another steer had 2 on his face.. probably got them from the other..

I put them through the chute and take a cotton ball and soak them in peroxide. If you can't get them in the chute feed them and just spray them with it. I like to get them really soaked though.

In about a week they'll all be gone.

angus9259

Reaction score
ddd75":1t441hvr said:
I put them through the chute and take a cotton ball and soak them in peroxide. If you can't get them in the chute feed them and just spray them with it. I like to get them really soaked though.

Wow, that's a lot of work. If you leave them alone in about a month they'll be gone as well...

gizmom

Reaction score
We put them in the chute and pull them off. Had a bad experience once with one we didn't address it got huge when we got her up it was filled with maggots. Nasty does not describe that mess. Since then if we see a wart it gets pulled off. They always seem to appear on younger cattle.

Gizmom

Bright Raven

Reaction score
ddd75":63syr86e said:
i just had a cow with them all over his face.. entire face covered.. another steer had 2 on his face.. probably got them from the other..

Whoa: be careful spraying hydrogen peroxide. It is one of the world's most powerful oxidizers!
It will take their lungs out.

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
Bright Raven":2m1s2oxq said:
ddd75":2m1s2oxq said:

Whoa: be careful spraying hydrogen peroxide. It is one of the world's most powerful oxidizers!
It will take their lungs out.

The sky aint falling ... Peroxide has many uses and is slightly more viscous than water..

Whatnow

Reaction score
gizmom":1rghgvxq said:
We put them in the chute and pull them off. Had a bad experience once with one we didn't address it got huge when we got her up it was filled with maggots. Nasty does not describe that mess. Since then if we see a wart it gets pulled off. They always seem to appear on younger cattle.

Gizmom

Ok, I almost passed out when I read this. I have one cow that has warts that don't want to clear up. Is your scenario common?

gizmom

Reaction score
What now

Don't panic not common at all most times they will just go away on their own. In all our years only once has it got to that point. We are just more pro active since it did.

Gizmom

ranchersswiss

Reaction score
Cattle warts are contagious virus that can spread by a contact from infected cattle to non infected cattle. The warts can be cured but you have to consult a vet first. With what I heard , you may feed your cattle with a rich in minerals food to help minimize wart outbreaks.

Nesikep

Reaction score
I find it's been a bad year for warts this year, but it's not the typical wart.. it's a larger surface but doesn't grow as thick.. they seem to get over it in 2 months.. everything from the young calves to old cows have gotten it, with few exceptions.

MtnCows93

Reaction score
ive got a 18 month old bull with warts popping up, some penny sized ones on the belly and one on the neck, also some small ones around the eyes and a small one on the nose. would you guys be worried about the warts getting bigger or affecting the bulls eyes or tool? or causing the calves to get warts? my neighbor had calves get warts this year and they were gray and got the size or about 1/3 or your fist

dun

Reaction score
crush and pull off a couple of them. That should kick his immune system in and he will get rid of them.

MtnCows93

Reaction score
tomorrow im gonna put a bucket of feed down and grab the wart on his neck with pliers and yank it off, hopefully he wont kill me haha, i actually put some grease on one on his neck and above his eye i heard that will make them fall off, theres one on his ballsack too and i aint about to go down there with pliers

bigbruh

Reaction score
I have a pregnant heifer with warts on her teats. Any special precaution dealing with that area.?

ClinchValley

Reaction score
bigbruh":p7pxr5f6 said:
I have a pregnant heifer with warts on her teats. Any special precaution dealing with that area.?

I had the same situation happen earlier this summer. I let them go. When she calved the calf nursed just fine. Next day i noticed they were gone. I'm going to assume the calf ingested them. Not sure if that's a bad thing or not. The calf hasn't had any yet. Going on 3 months old I believe.

I suppose it could have given the calf a sort of immunity...

Latest posts