Cattle Set Aside Program ?

Help Support CattleToday:

SBMF 2015 said:
Besides having it possibly slowing down the replacements in the feed lots (which is probably already happened)
I think it sounds great! We can use all the help we can get to get through this year.
People are finally starting to realize how important livestock producers and processors are to this country.

Doesn't help those of us who placed cattle the last couple of months. Govt. interference is going to run us all out of the business. Darned hard to plan when the dogooders keep messing with things.

Huge unintended consequences of government programs and their associated rules.
The pandemic panic is re re proving this.
Chinese media makes fun of US government' whack a mole methods on a daily basis.

Ky hills said:
SBMF 2015 said:
Okay I'm following now you mean sell direct to the consumer, not direct to the packers.
Where is the closest big packer?
Does KY have some stricter laws on meat processing?
Back in the '80's when every farm in the county fed cattle in the winter there were a lot of KY cattle shipped to our part of the country.

Honestly I have no idea where the closest big packer for beef is. The closest stockyards that I know of that has an actual fat cattle market is in Hillsboro Ohio. If we were to take fat cattle to market anywhere around here they would get hammered and docked. I don't know if they are stricter laws or same as other places but it should be legal to sell meat direct without having to have it inspected. The big problem is a lack of USDA inspected slaughter facilities there are only a few options for that and one of those has now gone commercial and doesn't do for individuals anymore.

Wouldnt that make us as bad as JBS? They paid off inspectors vs us just asking to not be inspected at all. I dont see that being beneficial. We could end up flooding the market with junk beef just like JBS with out any standards.

I'm not against inspections but the govt needs to make it more accessible for packers or producers and it needs to come at no direct cost to to either.

Brute 23 said:
Ky hills said:
SBMF 2015 said:
Okay I'm following now you mean sell direct to the consumer, not direct to the packers.
Where is the closest big packer?
Does KY have some stricter laws on meat processing?
Back in the '80's when every farm in the county fed cattle in the winter there were a lot of KY cattle shipped to our part of the country.

Honestly I have no idea where the closest big packer for beef is. The closest stockyards that I know of that has an actual fat cattle market is in Hillsboro Ohio. If we were to take fat cattle to market anywhere around here they would get hammered and docked. I don't know if they are stricter laws or same as other places but it should be legal to sell meat direct without having to have it inspected. The big problem is a lack of USDA inspected slaughter facilities there are only a few options for that and one of those has now gone commercial and doesn't do for individuals anymore.

Wouldnt that make us as bad as JBS? They paid off inspectors vs us just asking to not be inspected at all. I dont see that being beneficial. We could end up flooding the market with junk beef just like JBS with out any standards.

I'm not against inspections but the govt needs to make it more accessible for packers or producers and it needs to come at no direct cost to to either.

Valid points Brute, I am not against some level of inspection either and that is where I was intending my point to eventually be. It is very difficult to get beef inspected and it ought not to be. There should be some kind of graders easily available from a state or even local level if the USDA inspectors are too few and far between. I agree there should be no added expense. I also think that producers would soon learn what worked and what didn't as far as quality if they were directly involved. Lower quality would weed itself out pretty quickly in a direct or near direct market. I don't pretend to have all the answers I'm just trying to visualize a plan moving forward.

Ky hills said:
Brute 23 said:
Ky hills said:

Valid points Brute, I am not against some level of inspection either and that is where I was intending my point to eventually be. It is very difficult to get beef inspected and it ought not to be. There should be some kind of graders easily available from a state or even local level if the USDA inspectors are too few and far between. I agree there should be no added expense. I also think that producers would soon learn what worked and what didn't as far as quality if they were directly involved. Lower quality would weed itself out pretty quickly in a direct or near direct market. I don't pretend to have all the answers I'm just trying to visualize a plan moving forward.

I agree with you. Was just curious your thoughts.

Latest posts