Cattle prod

Help Support CattleToday:

have said this before....relative to chute work....feed em in the head chute....
this past weekend I bred some cows for the neighbor...brought em to my barn and used my facilites for set up and breeding as all under roof.....
he has one cow that was shown, so she is gentle. she is also big....has always been a pain to put down the chute as she has mastered the I am stuck and cannot move routine.....
In my chute I have had much bigger cows go through easily ...but she tried the routine on me....I touched her once with the hot shot to get her to go and then fed her in the headchute....
second time thru the chute she did not have any stickyness and went right to the head gate....looking for feed.
On breeding day I had to close a gate to keep her out of the chute while I was breeding the cow in front of her....when it came her turn she was banging on the head gate to get to the feed....
six yearling heifers were all auto loading by the third trip thru the chute.....
it is just too easy not to try....
my hot shot is one of those little hand held models that you can put in your back pocket....this insures judicious use...no chance of abusing from five feet away.
I would rather feed them than shock them any day.....

I rarely if ever use a hot shot when sorting or working cattle through the chute. But when I am loading them in a trailer I always have one in my hand. If all I need is a stick, well the hot shot will work as a stick. But if I need a little more, I have that available. Just make sure they are aimed where you want them to go. You don't need to fry them, just a little zap will do. I have a red hot shot. The next one will be the yellow one.

I look at a Hot-Shot like reverse gear on a sno-mobile. Not always necessary, but makes things a heck of a lot easier in a predicament.

hot shots are like dogs there is a time and a place for them. Gramps was loading cows coming off the permit and was walking up behind the last cow and the truck driver reached in and nipped her in the hock,needless to say she blasted him in the leg and shattered his leg and the belly of the trailer unloaded over him. He spent a few weeks in the hospital and to this day I wont use a hot shot unless its absolutely a must and even then our hot shots have old weak batteries in them so there not hot.

ThreeCrossBuckaroo":193yynll said:
hot shots are like dogs there is a time and a place for them. Gramps was loading cows coming off the permit and was walking up behind the last cow and the truck driver reached in and nipped her in the hock,needless to say she blasted him in the leg and shattered his leg and the belly of the trailer unloaded over him. He spent a few weeks in the hospital and to this day I wont use a hot shot unless its absolutely a must and even then our hot shots have old weak batteries in them so there not hot.
Wow, a shattered leg and trampled. :help:

I'm all for keeping them as quiet at possible, otherwise your losing money. Most of the ease of working comes down to facilities. But you have to work with what you have. There are plenty of times, a quick zap communicates effectively to the animal, it needs to move forward vs creating a jam or trying to go up and out or whatever.

My older brother use to zap me with dang thing. It's not enjoyable, but it isn't that bad. Have had electric fences that sure seemed hotter. So if your against the hot shot use, you probably shouldn't use an electric fence either.

You can use anything incorrectly and cause more stress or a wreck- a whip, a stick, even your presence. Seen more issues with an someone wrongly positioned as anything.

As I stated somewhere else, that I would rather be hit by a hot shot than have a dog bite me.

ThreeCrossBuckaroo":1y9yi5lp said:
nipped her in the hock
I think that was his first mistake. He was asking for her to kick. Second is being in striking distance. I wouldn't jump in the cage with the bear and then poke it.

ThreeCrossBuckaroo":2i1ri7c4 said:
Not saying your wrong since i wasn't there, but sound more like the truck drivers at fault than the hot shot.

Sorry dude... not downing your grandpappy because we have all been there... but when you walk up behind cattle... there is a chance your gonna get kicked... hot shot or not. Do you really blame the hot shot?

While we're on the cons of a hot shot... don't shock a cow that you have just poured wormer on. Its funny how many people know it but it still happens or just don't know at all. :)

I have the long Springer Mcgrath unit. Works great as a stick to move them where I want and then when needed can give a shock to get them moving. The flexible shaft means that its pretty tough to break.

Commercialfarmer":du852wym said:
ThreeCrossBuckaroo":du852wym said:
nipped her in the hock
I think that was his first mistake. He was asking for her to kick. Second is being in striking distance. I wouldn't jump in the cage with the bear and then poke it.

:oops: Oh, I totally misread that. I thought the driver was ran over and created his own problem. I didn't comprehend he got your granddad ran over. :shock: That is awful. Sorry.

He was walking up the ramp to shut the doors on the trailer and just as the last cow stepped in the truck driver who's notorious for this nipped the herefy and she blew backwards in to my grandad.

ThreeCrossBuckaroo":1hsftccs said:
He was walking up the ramp to shut the doors on the trailer and just as the last cow stepped in the truck driver who's notorious for this nipped the herefy and she blew backwards in to my grandad.
like has been said A hot shot is a tool that needs to be used with respect and isn't something IDIOTS need to play with
The driver needed an A$$whippin if he was notorious for this long before he got your GP hurt and if your GP knew he was notorious for this he should of done something to prevent it in the first place

Working cattle has no place for Dumba$$es and and idiots and yes I have seen a few of both and have also told them to get the he77 out of the pens before

I have never owned or used a hot shot and have loaded, worked, or whatever, thousands of head per year. I have absolutely nothing against a hot shot and there has been an occasional instance when one would have come in handy. I just haven't bought one. I have been around others who have used them too liberally and also the idiots who hit them just after they get in the trailer, which is what causes catastrophes like the grandfather getting smashed while shutting a trailer gate. It is like everything else, if you do not use a hot shot, you handle cattle a certain way. Then someone surprisingly uses one and you are caught in a vulnerable position and can get hurt real bad. If someone is helping me or someone else is hauling and I am loading, I tell them to leave the hot shot in the truck because I am used to doing it without it and I do not want any surprises and have an animal go beserk and come back over the top of me or kick me unexpectedly because of the zap. Just personal preference, it is not that I am not against proper use of the hot shot.

stocky":3su4ix4w said:
I have never owned or used a hot shot and have loaded, worked, or whatever, thousands of head per year. I have absolutely nothing against a hot shot and there has been an occasional instance when one would have come in handy. I just haven't bought one. I have been around others who have used them too liberally and also the idiots who hit them just after they get in the trailer, which is what causes catastrophes like the grandfather getting smashed while shutting a trailer gate. It is like everything else, if you do not use a hot shot, you handle cattle a certain way. Then someone surprisingly uses one and you are caught in a vulnerable position and can get hurt real bad. If someone is helping me or someone else is hauling and I am loading, I tell them to leave the hot shot in the truck because I am used to doing it without it and I do not want any surprises and have an animal go beserk and come back over the top of me or kick me unexpectedly because of the zap. Just personal preference, it is not that I am not against proper use of the hot shot.
I only use a hot shot when working by myself and they are in the alley. It makes it easier to get em in the chute. Otherwise I never use it.

I have a hot shot and it works good but I don't it use to work cattle around the farm , I only it use for cattle that are leaving the farm and not coming back . I don't want to work them up too much when they are staying here.

Isomade":24wm00df said:
stocky":24wm00df said:
I only use a hot shot when working by myself and they are in the alley. It makes it easier to get em in the chute. Otherwise I never use it.
I am just about the same way. I use one mostly when working on my own.

They are the best thing when loading into pots. We are outside the chute anyway and a lot of times they want to stop going up the ramp. If your not careful you will get into wreck because of them stopping.

stocky":1jhvv48f said:

You must be worried that they will hot shot you with it- ;-)

Yes, most of the people that I am around probably figure I need to be hit with a hot shot every so often just on general principle----LOL

Latest posts