Cattle prod

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
Hauled the neighbor's cows home for him a couple weeks ago. Last cow, the boss, would not go in the trailer. After 20 min of struggling, he went and got the prod from his brother and I gave her 3 taps and bingo. Guess I need to invest in one of these now that I am hauling more and more cattle around for people.

Even though I hate them and the people that grossly misuse them, is there a good brand of them out there? Hot-Shot? Haven't heard good things about Gallagher's models.

You have learned a good lession. Yes they are a great tool when used correctly. I have a Hot Shot brand I have had for probably 10 years. Rarely use it but sure is nice when I need it. Tried a couple of the cheaper ones and just didnt have good luck with them.

I used to have one of the old tube type (about 3' long) that made a noise or vibration when ya pushed the button. 1960s old. It finally quit working and I now have the red Hot Shot brand with a 5 ft extension. It makes no noise or vib, so if the animal don't whince or move I never know if it's just one tough animal or if the batteries are dead. I don't use it often, but when ya need it you need it.

I don't own one. So far, I can get them to do what I want by bouncing the end of a 4' piece of 1/2" PVC off the ground. The most I've had to do was poke one of them in the butt with it when they didn't want load in the chute. I guess if that ever quits working I'll be looking to buy a Hot Shot.

People who think a hot-shot is cruel are ignorant. It won't kill ya. In fact if I had been given the choice between getting a shot from the hot-shot or a spanking from Pop while growing up there is no question I would take the hot-shot. It is not painful to a 1200 lb cow, just new and something they have rarely or never felt before. If someone wants to complain about a hot-shot take a shot your self first or keep your mouth shut. Ive had eyelashes that hurt worse.

Isomade":1ox5c6g9 said:
People who think a hot-shot is cruel are ignorant. It won't kill ya. In fact if I had been given the choice between getting a shot from the hot-shot or a spanking from Pop while growing up there is no question I would take the hot-shot. It is not painful to a 1200 lb cow, just new and something they have rarely or never felt before. If someone wants to complain about a hot-shot take a shot your self first or keep your mouth shut. Ive had eyelashes that hurt worse.

And look how you turned out.....

http://springermagrath.com/livestock_prods.asp

shaft is some what flexible so it is less likely to break like the hotshot shafts
it's hot and stores a charge so don't shock yourself like many, myself included have done
i have a flexible sorting type stick with a nylon flagg made on the end that flaps and makes lots of noise when you shake it around and it does the trick 99% of the time, but there is still that 1% where you need a little extra

I usually use nothing more than a stick I pick up to sort and move cattle but do have a hot shot. About the only time I ever need it is to get a stubborn bull to load. Its less stressful than slapping the hell out of them with rattle paddles and sticks to me.

I have sevarel of the cheaper hot shot brand and they are fine.I don't know how anyone could get by without one or half a dozen.Think of it this way would you rather someone beat you with a stick 10 times or touch you with a hot shot once

HDRider":33wtf45i said:
Isomade":33wtf45i said:

And look how you turned out.....
And we shore don't want to see his eyelashes...

Hot Shot is the most valuable tool you have, I have seen more train wrecks in the chute than anywhere else.
I haul a lot of cattle for other people I don't play with cows in the chute.

Caustic Burno":jajh9fgi said:
Hot Shot is the most valuable tool you have, I have seen more train wrecks in the chute than anywhere else.

Yup. Its not the hot shots fault idiots try to use them.

A hot shot can be used as just a working stick or a hot shot. A stick can only be used as a stick. Goes back to the... Id rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

If you get one get a 5-6' one. It works great for sorting and that keeps you out of kicking distance most of the time.

Brute 23":a3eg8et2 said:
Caustic Burno":a3eg8et2 said:

Yup. Its not the hot shots fault idiots try to use them.

A hot shot can be used as just a working stick or a hot shot. A stick can only be used as a stick. Goes back to the... Id rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

If you get one get a 5-6' one. It works great for sorting and that keeps you out of kicking distance most of the time.
Or you could get one like mine that are only about 3', and trust that you're cattle would never kick you :lol2: .

Using Springer Mcgrath type prod now. have alot of older hot shot types, but I like the Springer one best. Loading calves I dont usually have to use any, but a 1000-1200lb cow is a different story.

Caustic Burno":175lwix7 said:

I agree, when I have a load of 1400lb steers headed up the chute the last thing I want is to see one coming back off the trailer the wrong way. The only thing I've been satisfied with is the yellow hot shot. It is a little pricey but keeps on working.

Larry

larryshoat":230jlji5 said:
Caustic Burno":230jlji5 said:

I agree, when I have a load of 1400lb steers headed up the chute the last thing I want is to see one coming back off the trailer the wrong way. The only thing I've been satisfied with is the yellow hot shot. It is a little pricey but keeps on working.

Larry
Good to hear, I bought a new one today and opted for the yellow.

Isomade":1glqy3vs said:
larryshoat":1glqy3vs said:

Larry
Just remember Tutti Fruitti that if it is like the yellow ones I have used for yrs is that once you hit the button it will hold a charge for a few seconds even if you AREN'T pushing the button and light you up

Angus Cowman":3oi83bv3 said:
Isomade":3oi83bv3 said:
larryshoat":3oi83bv3 said:

Larry
Just remember Tutti Fruitti that if it is like the yellow ones I have used for yrs is that once you hit the button it will hold a charge for a few seconds even if you AREN'T pushing the button and light you up
Aw why'd you have to tell him.

Latest posts