Cattle Price Chart for Utah for each weight class

Help Support CattleToday:

Utah

Reaction score
I'll try to post a chart that showed the change in feeder steer prices in Northern Utah from early May to late August 2005. I sorted them by total sales price and I averaged the weight class. So, 350 to 400 averaged out to be 375.

I thought it was interesting to see what the prices did over time. I'll also post this again when all of the calfs hit the auction this fall.

Hope this is helpful to someone else. Utah...

CattlePrices.jpg
[/b]

Thats about right for us up here in the Spokane area.
Will be interesting to track through the fall...
This plotting could be a good tool to assist in determing market trends...alot of folks are expecting the market to decline.
Thanks....Dave Mc

Interesting. Looks like your point of diminishing returns is at 800 to 900 pounds. Are the blue dots steers, and the pink dots heifers?

Doc...the colors show the seasonal price difference between
May and August '05.
I agree with critical aspect of 800-850 being the point of diminishing returns. Why buy a ~800 pound steer for 100/cwt when you can get a 1000+ steer for less money.
Will be nice to make a note of this research...looking forward to additional updates....
Dave Mc

I thought it was interesting to see that the really young ones still get a very good price even late in Summer. These May prices were not too much different than the early April prices when they seemed really high at the time to me.

This next year, I am going to stock very young steers. Here's why:

One 325 lb steer cost about $458 last May
If he gained 2 lbs/day for 90 days he'd weigh about 505 lbs
And he'd sell for about $590 in Mid August
This would be about a 29% return on investment

Or

One 625 lb steer cost about $715 last May.
If he also gained 2 lbs/day for 90 days he'd weigh about 805 lbs
Well, He would sell for about $788 in Mid August.
This would only be about a 10% return on investment.

Big Difference Here

If I only had $10,000 to invest, Either I could get about 22 small steers at 325 lbs. Or, I could get about 14 older steers at 625 lbs.

Feed for 90 days and sell all that I had at that time. I am assuming an average weight gain of 2 pounds per animal per day regardless of size. Some may argue this point.

The smaller steers would sell for a total price of $12,908.
The older steers would sell for a total price of $11,018.
Gross profit of $2,908 vs $1,018.

Theory only here, but I'd almost triple my investment if I bought the small steers at 325 pounds. Yes, more work, but something to think about. At least I will be thinking about what to buy this next Spring.

Susie David":68i9wcqx said:
Doc...the colors show the seasonal price difference between
May and August '05.
SD,
Thanks. Now I see the parentheses noting that in the first line.

Latest posts