Help Support CattleToday:

if we dont like somebodys cattle picture what should we do

• make up something nice to say anyway

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • tell the truth even if they may not like it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
certherfbeef":3uath1lx said:
BUT, according to CT rules. Taking pictures makes you a hobby farmer!
I think thats mostly true about the hobby farmer and pictures except for maybe CastratedBurro and one or two registered guys. Even if your a hobby guy doesnt mean its wrong to take pictures though...just that if you put em up here other people that DONT like em might want to talk about em to...maybe we shouldnt though??

I dont waste time or money taking pictures of darn cows and its really hard for me to believe that there are many serious ranchers that do...not saying its wrong if you do...just that I dont and dont know any of my neighbors that ever pull out a stack of pictures at the coffee house or co-op. Maybe it would be differnt if I was younger but its hard enough any more for me to be sure I have my fencing pliers...ropes...bionoculars...la200..syringes...rifle and all the other mess that I might actually NEED in everthing I drive or what I ride...cant imagine trying to remember to get a stupid camera. We used to take pictures of family though (thought thats what cameras were for???)...dont even do that anymore. And being perfectly honest that makes me 100 times sadder than not having pictures of cows

Tell you guys something though....be glad to make a deal with you and it doesnt require anything of you...if I ever take a picture of a stupid cow....close up enough to tell anything about her....Ill try to find someboyd to help me post it...just dont expect it though. But if I ever do it sure wont bother me for any of you college boy livestock judgers to talk about her..run her down,,bash her whatever. I probaly wont be in no big hurry to kill her just becasue any of you wannabe ranchers dont like her.LOL
I decide my best cows based on PROFIT. That is probably a foreign term to a lot of you picture takers. And when I talk about profit that means profits from a GROUP of cattle...I cant do individual records like you big operators do..I dont tag babies and individually weigh calves at weaning...and I dont ever know who bred who because the boys are never courteous enough to ask me if its okay before they do it it to the girls. LOL Since I cant even keep individual records,me having pictures of an individual sure dont matter...but I can tell you when an individual WONT work...at least for me. And over a lot of years i have learned [the hard way sometimes LOL] the things that affect that chance to make a profit.To much white and not enough capacity for grass being some of the easy ones to spot. Those are two things I posted about to greenherefords a few weeks ago that got this whole deal started. I bet you remember that dont you ollie?? Whether any of you wannabe cowbreeders admit it or not...to much white...some of you call it a *paint job*...costs me money unless I retain cattle and sell on the rail..and who wants to do that right now?? Only a fool in my eyes would lock themselves into having to rail cattle in spite of the markets just because he wasnt smart enough to knock the spots off with selection against that trait. So you can keep all your spotted cattle and sell em to another hobby farmer that likes purty *paint jobs*. Thats fine if thats the business your in...its just not for me. Now heres something you can take to the bank...if you care about making money the best snapshot of your cattle will come from your income and expense records...not a stupid camera

ollie this next parts for you...dont want you to think that I didnt see your postings...daring me to play a show and tell game with you. LOL I really dont have a comment except that your last posting sounded like a wild man. You said i was rude?? Son my postings dont even aproach being as rude as yours. I dont ask that you be polite to me...doesnt bother me a bit ..I always told you people that I respect a man that says what he means. So I dont expect you to be polite...but i do expect you to be steady...dont tell me to do something that you wont do. Dont call me rude if your going to be ruder..dont gripe about me not giving my name and location and then you not do it...dont dare me to post a picture if your not going to do it. I dont have pictures to show you but if you do you need to post them since it was your idea. Dont you think thats fair?? I really dont care though...the only time I ever asked to see pictures was on the horse page...then I just wanted to look at peoples new colts because I dont have any to look at. And Im also still waiting to hear your other hypocrite pal condem YOU for being rude....condem YOU for being disresptful...condem YOU for calling names. You know the one Im talking about?? The one who didnt like me talking about his spotted heifer?? The one that told me to be respectful and not call names?? the one who doesnt care if you do that when your taking up for him. Im still waiting to hear him condem you ollie. Looks like Ill be waiting a long time. LOL

Sorry ollie that you got to excited and peed your pants because I didnt answer your 1st dare quick enough and i didnt get back to you quicker. You can go ahead and post your pictures if you want to..I dont need to see em and if you do post em I promise I wont make any comment if you ask me not to...you have my word so dont be scared...but you need to tell me not to say anything when you post em or else I might slip up. LOL I see that you carry on with your double standards by daring me to do something that you havent done but thats okay..I said I dont have pictures for you but will put em up there if I ever get you some...you have my word on that ollie

ollie I still hope to learn enough from you some day to be as successful a rancher as you are...so I dont ever have to work and so I can post on the cattle boards all day and half the night...ever day of the week. But right now I have another ranch that I have to tend to that dosnt even have a telephone..much less a computer...so sometimes I cant be here as regular as you guys are. When you teach me enough to hit the big time like you have hotshot Ill try to fix that problemo...believe me I would sure like to have a few more modern conveninces there myself. LOL You may continue my education now ollie...and thank you for trying to teach me to be a bigshot like you ollie. And thank everbody else for answering my poll...keep em coming :)

hey ollie it looks like you best saddle up a horse and get after him. but if you want to stay eyeball to eyeball with him you better pick a hi one. about 20 or 21 hands might do it :lol:

goodness, i thought people who raised cattle actually LIKED cattle. i dont you have to take pics of em but still...
good day :D

Tape, I will point out that I specifically referred to the specific question that you asked: What should a person say about the pictures someone else posts.

I have my own opinions about the degrees of civility that various members have toward one another, and very rarely do I get involved in a dispute. I can certainly control how I respond to the other members, however. Occasionally I do respond in a way that I regret. I challenge you to pull up one instance where, even when an entire group were on your trail, that I personally attacked you. You are comparing apples to oranges. I was talking about comments on other people's cattle, you are talking about disagreements in general.

Another thought or two: Just because you don't have time to weigh calves, and keep breeding records, would you want the person you buy your bulls from to manage like that? Seedstock producers have a different goal. They do those things so that you can avoid doing so and still produce calves that hopefully are averaging a bit heavier as an average decade after decade.

I freely confess I'm just the little guy. Apparently too small for a big, successful rancher like you to respect. You go ahead and buy your bulls from those who sell a hundred or more per season, and I'll continue to sell mine to the small commercial producers of my area as long as they are pleased with the product I sell them. Just because you don't see anything you like in the few pictures taken from my small operation, I'm not going to sell them all out and start over. I like what I've got and they work for me. Still, I intend to improve them.

I wish you luck.

it does sound like something crawled up someones butt and died in there. anyway. i like to take pictures as a hobby, consequently a lot of these photos are cattle, horse, and wildlife pictures. in addition to just plain enjoying doing it, i also do it for record purposes. no, i dont have a photo of every single cow but with a digital camera why not? it costs very little. i bet my children or grandchildren will someday get a kick out of seeing "old timey type cattle."i just post pics to share. i dont really give a rats ass what anyone thinks or says about them since my opinion is the one that determines whether she gets on a trailer or not.

Beefy":ff7o6hzk said:
i dont have a photo of every single cow but with a digital camera why not? it costs very little. i bet my children or grandchildren will someday get a kick out of seeing "old timey type cattle."i just post pics to share. i dont really give a rats ass what anyone thinks or says about them since my opinion is the one that determines whether she gets on a trailer or not.

well said.

Beefy":2jfv5kiy said:
it does sound like something crawled up someones butt and died in there. anyway. i like to take pictures as a hobby, consequently a lot of these photos are cattle, horse, and wildlife pictures. in addition to just plain enjoying doing it, i also do it for record purposes. no, i dont have a photo of every single cow but with a digital camera why not? it costs very little. i bet my children or grandchildren will someday get a kick out of seeing "old timey type cattle."i just post pics to share. i dont really give a rats ass what anyone thinks or says about them since my opinion is the one that determines whether she gets on a trailer or not.

very well said, what does it matter if someone photographs there cattle. OOOhhhh it makes them a hobbyist!!! Well god forbid there be people in the world who have hobbys. Come on grow up!! It is taking a picture, that does not make you any less of a cattleman. And while Im venting Id like to add another thing, all you guys who say that taking photos of your cattle is for hobbyists, computers must be your hobby cause you sure are on here alot more than in the fields working those cattle

Nice long letter of why you won't post a picture tapeworm. Put up or shut up.

tapeworm! you said you do not know of any serious cattlemen that take pictures of their cattle!
ever seen a sale catalog where the pay good money to advertize their stock?? i have seen catalogs that have 250 300 head of cattle in them by one owner!!!, but i guess they arn't serious!!!!!!!!!!!! that stupid camera you mention makes them money in the long run!!!!, but what do they know they must just be hobbiests and definatly not serious about cattle sales of profit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe they just like pictures of their STUPID COWS
stupid cow??? maybe but it almost sounds to me like you resent having to work them. maybe you need to find a more rewarding area to work in!!!! especially since you have no time to look and enjoy the livestock around you!!! personally i enjoy looking at any livestoc in pasture of in pictures
ollie a big shot? haven't had the pleasure to meet the man yet but he seems to know what he is doing but i guess because he takes pictures of his stock makes him a hobbiest!
do i take pics of my stock? yes guess that makes me a hobbiest!! no time to read and reply to posts? your last one took some time that should have been spent tending cattle if that you are that busy!!!!
take the chip off your sholder and become a real cattleman!
put up or shut up!!!!!!!!!!!
that is my opinion like it or not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tapeworm don't forget you started this poll,almost seemed like you intended to start a little squabble!
:mad:

I sort of hesitate to stick my oar in this "Poll Cesspool" because the posts are Ver-r-r-ry Inter-estinnng - however, just for grins :lol: , which ONE (ONLY one) BREEDING BEEF CATTLE trait is the MOST important from a BUSINESS standpoint? These are listed in no particular order of importance:

1- Calving ease

2- High Marbling

3- Mothering Ability

4- Fertility

5- Rib Eye Area

I am eager to read your opinions.

DOC HARRIS

That's kind of like the question "When did you quit beating your wife". There isn;t a (single) right answer.
Without mothering ability fertility is pretty well useless.

dun

memanpa":ks0yqsdu said:
tapeworm don't forget you started this poll,almost seemed like you intended to start a little squabble!
:mad:
You otta to watch that temper meemaw..that red face tells me youve got blood pressure trouble. LOL You said "put up or shut up" just like ollie did?? Better be careful going around with your nose plugged in under his tail like that. I bet he looks like a cow draggin rotten afterbirth around. LOL The two of you plugged in together dont make half of a real rancher like Caustic Burro or Oldtimer or LA4 or one or two more...I can see right now that I need to start spending more time with you good people to try to help Burro and them make some of you into real ranchers

Why dont you ask your new best friend ollie when hes going to put up or shut up?? Tell him dont be scared....Id sure like to see his pretty pictures

Doctor your question is too easy...without fertility,mothering and calving ease you may as well be running steers. I know you said only pick one but you dont have to do that in the real world that us nondoctors operate in. angus (red or black) and herefords or better yet..a cross of the two...will let you have em all

Latest posts