Cattle IQ

Help Support CattleToday:

basspro

Reaction score
Just for fun here is a list of ten various cattle breeds. List these cattle from largest to smallest based on the average mature weights of the bull:
Shorthorn
Beefmaster
Dexter
Piedmontese
Chiangus
Simmental
Belgian Blue
Chianina
Highland
Gelbvieh

Chianina
Simmental
Piedmontese
Belgian Blue
Gelbvieh
Chiangus
Beefmaster
Shorthorn
Highland
Dexter

Chianina
Piedmontese
Longhorn
Beefmaster
Simmental
Gelbvieh
Belgian Blue
Chiangus
Shorthorn
Highland
Dexter

It will depend upon the interbreed strains and familys, but here is a shot at it. Averaging the weights of the mature bulls makes this an interesting list! ;-)

Chianina
Belgian Blue
Piedmontese
Simmental
Gelbvieh
Chiangus
Beefmaster
Shorthorn
Highland
Dexter

DOC HARRIS

p.s. - - Ryan, you rascal, 8) , you snuck in a ringer!

Doc...you're right, this depends on lines, etc. Here's Mrs. lazy ace's and my stab:

Belgian Blue
Piedmontese
Chianina
Simmental
Gelbvieh
Chiangus
Beefmaster
Shorthorn
Dexter
Highland

have a cold one

lazy ace

Now that a few of you have had a chance to answer the cattle IQ question I figure I'd post the answers. The answers are taken from several scientific studies. Note: the weight of a mature bull will vary based on many different factors (climate, illness, genetics, nutrition, etc.) these answers are based on the average mature weights of the bull in that particular breed with no basis on geography, climate, or genetics. Alright here you go:
1) Chianina
2) Piedmontese
3) Belgium Blue
4) Simmental
5&6) Tie between Beefmaster and Gelbvieh
7) Chiangus
8) Shorthorn
9) Highland
10) Dexter

basspro":36tgvcpv said:
Now that a few of you have had a chance to answer the cattle IQ question I figure I'd post the answers. The answers are taken from several scientific studies. Note: the weight of a mature bull will vary based on many different factors (climate, illness, genetics, nutrition, etc.) these answers are based on the average mature weights of the bull in that particular breed with no basis on geography, climate, or genetics. Alright here you go:
1) Chianina
2) Piedmontese
3) Belgium Blue
4) Simmental
5&6) Tie between Beefmaster and Gelbvieh
7) Chiangus
8) Shorthorn
9) Highland
10) Dexter

BP,

I'd be curious to see the numbers for the weights beside the breeds, if they are available.

Jack

Here are the numbers they had for the breeds. Again, this list may vary slightly based on geography, genetics, nutrition, etc.
1.)Chianina 2688 lb World Record cow is a bull weighting 3835 lb
2.) Piedmontese 2597 lb
3.) Belgium Blue 2589 lb (not sure if these are double muscled)
4.) Simmental 2492 lb
5 & 6) Beefmaster and Gelbvieh 2380 lb
7.) Chiangus 2339 lb
8.) Shorthorn 2208 lb
9.) Highland 1740 lb
10.) Dexter 848 lb

Latest posts