Cattle for the south?

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":36s1ao7s said:
well sure... i got 7 plus weights from my last angus bull on brangus,, brahman/cross cows....
:D

Exactly which side of the fence are you on? You have the same terminal bull as he does too. :D :D :D

backhoeboogie":2tsqi71m said:
ALACOWMAN":2tsqi71m said:
well sure... i got 7 plus weights from my last angus bull on brangus,, brahman/cross cows....
:D

Exactly which side of the fence are you on? You have the same terminal bull as he does too. :D :D :D[/quote... im on my side... i dont have to ride on any shirt tails... i like facts, not what one says dont work for him

"Bonsma said no Zebu crossbred cows should be used north of 35 degrees in latitude. The southern border of Tennessee is the 35th parallel."

ALACOWMAN":ugvqaz34 said:
im on my side... i dont have to ride on any shirt tails... i like facts, not what one says dont work for him

I like the facts too. In fact, I think that is what the folks posting questions here in this forum are looking for. It seems to me that we all agree about a lot of things and then get off on one or two burrs.

I am running a brangus bull over msotly brangus cows simply because I am still expanding the herd. The bull will become a terminal bull once my numbers get to where they should be.

when someone says you cant use angus in the south, when i cant sling a dead cat and not hit one here?? we got gulf coast here thats a whole nuther matter

Here I've got some Brahma X cattle 800 miles or so north of Billings, Montana-I wouldn't call them the optimum cow for up her but for being the misbegotten spawn of some erstwhile bucking bulls they do alright-lick snow right along with the rest. In fact I'd say the Brahma X cattle are hardier than some of the Range Jersey purebred angus that are out there. I'm pretty sure if I was in the south I'd be running Braford bulls on Brangus cows or is that a no no.

The first I handled here in the south was in the 60's and know they have been here since that time. I have very few and calve them in the fall. They don't thrive for me throughout the summer growing season the way brangus will. Grandaddy ran gerts. Dad tried about everything and I endured a lot of it in the 60's and 70's. A lot of my opinions are based on my own experiences and some of dad's failures.

You can make money on anything, given the right circumstances.

ALACOWMAN":26k8a8sm said:
when someone says you cant use angus in the south, when i cant sling a dead cat and not hit one here?? we got gulf coast here thats a whole nuther matter

I can say the same thing about throwing the dead cat and Herefords, I am just not BSing myself that this is the best cow for the south. Out of the three essential breeds Brammer is the only one that truely thrives in the south.
That is why 30% of the US cow herd has Brammer influence. I really like Herefords I am just barn blind to the facts that I can not produce as heavy a calf with the Hereford. The straight bred hereford is not going to be as thrifty as a braford or brangus cow and neither is the Angus.
I ran Angus for a while and dumped them to people that paid a premium for Angus. The breed failed to thrive the most of the three. Calfs drown trying to nurse.

I have an Angus bull in my pasture right now and he is the sorriest bull I have ever owned, running him over Herefords and Brangus. I have serious doubts that he will be here next year, he is failing to thrive to my expectations.
I am already looking.[/quote]
I have some Bo and Red Bubba sons for Sale, true beefmasters. Or really consider the performance tested

www.beefmasterbullsale.com

As fare as angus in the south, maybe that is why a lot of Angus base breeders aim for the fall calf, they can grow like fire in the cool winters. they get bred in the spring and it is not that hard on them in the hot summer makes sense for a good marketable plan. Have a november calf wean in may. Good plan for what the market may want.

Northern Rancher":l3fdzwrk said:
Here I've got some Brahma X cattle 800 miles or so north of Billings, Montana-I wouldn't call them the optimum cow for up her but for being the misbegotten spawn of some erstwhile bucking bulls they do alright-lick snow right along with the rest. In fact I'd say the Brahma X cattle are hardier than some of the Range Jersey purebred angus that are out there. I'm pretty sure if I was in the south I'd be running Braford bulls on Brangus cows or is that a no no.
straight hereford on the brangus and your in business ..

Northern Rancher":oddtczcd said:
Well I have some good Horned Hereford bulls that are U'S qualified that you can sure use A'I to brangus cows.

That is one of my long range plans. Right now I am still expanding brangus and culling a lot of everything else. Eared baldy females are big money at the sale barn. Super baldy steers do good too.

If the market changes I might switch from Brangus. Or if my climate changes. Total pounds and total dollars earned on my grass is what influences me.

Good grief,

I have been on this board for years and finally a discussion about Dr. Bonsma comes up; and my computer is down!!

I do not post much; but I am one of three Bonsmara Seedstock Breeders in the USA. I suspect that we have about 3,000-5,000 purebloods in the states. The ability to buy bulls is finally available in the states. However, thus far it is extremely hard to get a pureblood Bonsmara female. I have grown my herd to almost 50 breeding aged Bonsmara females.

My dad has about 250 Angus females. He sold all his Angus bulls and replaced them with Bonsmara Bulls. He was my biggest critic when I first got into Bonsmara cattle. His Bonsmara bulls crossed with his Angus females result in really nice animals. He has progressed to about 50 half blood Bonsmara/Angus females and 25 three-quarter Bonsmara and one-quarter Angus females.

Insofar as heat tolerance, on a hot day in June my 13 year old daughter stated it quite nicely: "why are grandpa's cattle [angus] standing under the shade trees and our cattle [Bonsmara] are eating grass in the pasture?"

http://www.smithbonsmara.com

I use a photobucket account, I used to have to scan my pictures onto the computer, then load onto the account, since getting my digital camera it has become much easier. Once the pictures are on the photobucket page you can link them to the site using the appropriate url.

Latest posts