Cattle Breed Recommendation...Please

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy":341f95a1 said:
"If Texas Longhorns are produced with large horns, they do sell well. Texas Longhorns are also very easy to keep and will thrive on less than other breeds of beef cattle. The strongest market for Texas Longhorns seems to be Texas."

First of all I will admit I have no experience with Longhorns. One observation, this morning it was 15 below F. I have a neighbor who has purebred longhorns and they seem to not do as well as other breeds in the cold. They seem to hump up more and don't get moving. I am curious if there are others who have seen different reactions from longhorns.

Secondly I am curious. How do run longhorns through a cattle system, alleys and a head gate? My neighbor does not use feeders if he feeds round bales he just dumps them on the ground. I assume a horse feeder would work.

Finally I have another neighbor who has Scotch Highlanders and I will say they take the cold even better than Herefords. The coldest I have seen it around here is a little over 40 below F.

I am not trying to start anything here but it's cold outside, I'm awake and I want to wait to go outside, farmguy.
Its pretty cold here today too. I put down fresh corn stalks on the bedding packs, and most of the stock barely waited for me to be out of the way to lay down!

i fed a group of around 65 longhorns all winter one year. they are some wild crazy cows. they never seemed to mind the cold at all and always calved on time. bred to char and angus bulls selling the calves @ 400 lbs very few would know the difference. brought great money.

guy who had them said some were 30 years old.

Latest posts