Castrate My Bull or Leave Him In-Tact

Help Support CattleToday:

TexFarmer":2bzz585j said:
ez14.":2bzz585j said:
how did you acquire your herd?
I inherited some land that I needed to run cattle on to keep an ag exemption going around the same time my dad was getting out of farming so I bought his herd from him at a decent price. My dad didn't keep records of anything and I wasn't involved with his farm so I'm not sure what all I've got at this point. Most of the bloodline except for the sire comes from my late grandfather's herd who got out of farming in the 90s.

He is a good looking bull. Definitely some Brahman influence there which is not a bad thing. You have a very nice herd.

What area of Texas are you located?

Brute 23":34hct3f9 said:
He is a good looking bull. Definitely some Brahman influence there which is not a bad thing. You have a very nice herd.

What area of Texas are you located?
I'm in NE Texas in the DFW area.

How old do you usually cut? If I could give my 2 cents it is to post him on craigslist and the what not until he is of age to cut. If no one is intrested by then just snip them off. You never know, some people fancy some weird things. How long have you had the herd?

greybeard":hrqgehz3 said:
Yep.
I see horns in the herd.
Do you know if the bull was scurred or just dehorned young?
He has two little knobs for horns. My father bought the bull when he was ~2 years old and again, he has no information on the bull. (I know, it's stupid) He told me he's seen the little knobs grow a little and then fall off which I've never heard of. Perhaps this is a result of being scurred?

TexFarmer":3pkzv7gt said:
greybeard":3pkzv7gt said:
Yep.
I see horns in the herd.
He has two little knobs for horns. My father bought the bull when he was ~2 years old and again, he has no information on the bull. (I know, it's stupid) He told me he's seen the little knobs grow a little and then fall off which I've never heard of. Perhaps this is a result of being scurred?

I've never heard of that either. Two knobs that grow a little and then fall off sounds an awful like warts.

I'm not sure about cows but in goats when some dehorns them wrong they can grow little scurs that fall off once they grow to a certain length. Maybe that's what happened.

TexFarmer":2b9wr43o said:
greybeard":2b9wr43o said:
Yep.
I see horns in the herd.

We've had that happen. Now, in almost 30 years, I have only seen it happen on one bull. They were short flat scurs, would get about 3/4" thick, then they'd "shed" off. It was like they were just a cap and would get popped off.

Latest posts