Cashierless store....................

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence said:
If people where reliable, dependable, honest came to work on time and gave a honest effort.
Didn't drag their personal problems to work.
And appreciated having a job instead of considering their employer the enemy that owes them just for signing on, maybe folks wouldn't be looking for ways to get people off the payroll.
Employees the biggest expense, problem and threat to a business
Seinfeld
Elaine: Ugh... I hate people. I will never understand people.
Jerry: They're the worst.

jltrent said:
It appears this is the way retailers are headed. The technology is there and we either check ourselves out or we do without.
personal shoppers/curbside pick up.

Store employees with large multi level carts traveling through the store, removing items from the shelves to fill phoned in orders is the main recent change that I've encountered.

sstterry said:
callmefence said:
I done work for more lawyers than I can count.
Never seen a one do a thing to make things safer for us. Just a stack of documents to be signed to make things safer for them..... :D

Ford Pinto (exploding gas tank)
Multiple Drugs that had to be pulled from the Market because they cause death or injury
Asbestos
Cigarettes causing cancer
Defective Airbags
The Texas City Refinery Explosion (CB knows about this)
Toys that cause toddlers to choke
Jarts (look it up)
Defective exploding tires
Corporations illegally dumping and poisoning ground water

All because of trial lawyers, should I continue?

That's all great. But what about when a lawyer attacks a small business because some pos with hangover shoots himself with a nail gun.
There's negligence, and there's people who get themselves hurt because their careless and stupid. Lawyers don't care. If the employer we runs his business out of the back of his truck with no insurance a trial lawyer won't touch it.
If the employer does things right and has assets and insurance. A trial lawyer jump's all over it. Explain that to me......me being slow and all..

callmefence said:
That's all great. But what about when a lawyer attacks a small business because some pos with hangover shoots himself with a nail gun.
There's negligence, and there's people who get themselves hurt because their careless and stupid. Lawyers don't care. If the employer we runs his business out of the back of his truck with no insurance a trial lawyer won't touch it.
If the employer does things right and has assets and insurance. A trial lawyer jump's all over it. Explain that to me......me being slow and all..

I don't disagree with you on the hungover employee, but that is the purpose of Comp, it is No-Fault. The problem is the Insurance Company. The should not raise rates for something that they know can happen.

As the the fly-by-night guys, you can't get blood from a turnip. But if they have no Comp Insurance, then they can be sued in Tort.

sstterry said:
haase said:
sstterry said:
I am trying to stay away from these threads, but to make it clear, Workers Comp is a No-Fault System. It was put in place because so many employers were cutting corners and removing machine guards ect that the Employers wanted a system where they could not be sued for their own fault and disregard for worker safety. Workers Comp was their solution. You can't sue the Employers for the real damages, but you get a set amount depending on how bad you are hurt. ( It is really bad if you have a specific skill that you cannot do and has been destroyed, you still only get the scheduled amount). These days most workers that are seriously injured end up on Government support.
The safety issue as far as employers cutting corners is long gone, the money companies spend on safety is tremendous, and so is the increased premiums on employees workmans comp when a incident does happen, so yes the employer still pays for it.

Yes, they do pay for the Comp Insurance, but if you believe that employers do not cut safety corners, you are sorely mistaken. The trade-off still benefits the employer by a vast margin. The people making the money here are the insurance companies. The employers pay too much for insurance and the employee gets jack squat for losing an arm or a leg.
Sorely mistaken, if you say so, only have been in business for over 35 years, guess the money that we spent on equipment for safety over the years has been in vain, 4 wheel drive scissor lifts instead of ladders, fall protection gear, safety meetings can go on and on, if you don't believe the workplace today is safer than before than you're sorely mistaken.

haase said:
sstterry said:
haase said:
The safety issue as far as employers cutting corners is long gone, the money companies spend on safety is tremendous, and so is the increased premiums on employees workmans comp when a incident does happen, so yes the employer still pays for it.

Yes, they do pay for the Comp Insurance, but if you believe that employers do not cut safety corners, you are sorely mistaken. The trade-off still benefits the employer by a vast margin. The people making the money here are the insurance companies. The employers pay too much for insurance and the employee gets jack squat for losing an arm or a leg.
Sorely mistaken, if you say so, only have been in business for over 35 years, guess the money that we spent on equipment for safety over the years has been in vain, 4 wheel drive scissor lifts instead of ladders, fall protection gear, safety meetings can go on and on, if you don't believe the workplace today is safer than before than you're sorely mistaken.

And I have seen the numbers and worked in the field. I have worked with both sides of the aisle to write Worker's Comp and other Legislation for close to 40 years. Just because you take precautions does not mean every employer does.

sstterry said:
haase said:
sstterry said:

And I have seen the numbers and worked in the field. I have worked with both sides of the aisle to write Worker's Comp and other Legislation for close to 40 years. Just because you take precautions does not mean every employer does.

Good post as most employers do try to have a safe work place (helmets, googles, safety shields left in place, etc.) all do not. If someone gets a eye put out and the employer did not require them to wear safety glasses and they should have the employer will be a fault and a possible OSHA investigation and legal counsel will get involved. This guy knows his business and is only trying to help. I have said it before if needed a good lawyer is worth every penny.

jltrent said:
Good post as most employers do try to have a safe work place (helmets, googles, safety shields left in place, etc.) all do not. If someone gets a eye put out and the employer did not require them to wear safety glasses and they should have the employer will be a fault and a possible OSHA investigation and legal counsel will get involved. This guy knows his business and is only trying to help. I have said it before if needed a good lawyer is worth every penny.

Thank you for your kind words. And that is one of the purposes of Comp. Even if the Employer intentionally cuts corners they can still only be sued for comp, not in tort. That is why there is the "No-Fault" trade-off. The ones that really benefit ( just like the Packers in this area) are the insurance companies.

:bs:
jltrent said:
sstterry said:
haase said:

:bs: a person should be responsible for their own safety. It's not anyone s responsiblelty to look after a individual except themselves.. some dumbazz puts his eye out should be responsible for paying the employer for lost time cleaning up the mess

callmefence said:
jltrent said:
sstterry said:

:bs: a person should be responsible for their own safety. It's not anyone s responsiblelty to look after a individual except themselves.. some dumbazz puts his eye out should be responsible for paying the employer for lost time cleaning up the mess

You think like me, but in the real world it does not work like that. THe shoe is on the other foot and you get your eye put out by an employer that did not look after your safety and put you in harms way. How are you going to respond? When your truck got rear ended and basically destroyed and if the insurance company refused to pay would you clean up the mess and pay for the others guys vehicle? I know you are a good guy, but not that good.

callmefence said:

What about the supervisor that orders the workers into a dangerous situation known only to him or the employer that intentionally removes a guard or disables a safety stop on a punch press because they don't want the machine to be down for repairs. Also, what if a worker is required to drive a company truck and the employer just disregards fixing the brakes that it knows are bad?

jltrent said:
callmefence said:
jltrent said:

You think like me, but in the real world it does not work like that. THe shoe is on the other foot and you get your eye put out by an employer that did not look after your safety and put you in harms way. How are you going to respond? When your truck got rear ended and basically destroyed and if the insurance company refused to pay would you clean up the mess and pay for the others guys vehicle? I know you are a good guy, but not that good.

That doesn't make sense. Someone rear ended me is responsible for damages. If nobody pays yes I would clean up my mess but not his. That's his problem.

Several years ago we had a fire that was a unfortunate accident. But it had to be someone's fault and that was me. A mistake on my part didn't have use of subcontractors listed on my policy. ....no lawyers needed. Only burnt brush and damaged fences but on four propertys. I went to every property owner sit down and made a plan to get them cleaned up. Cost me about 40,000
No lie I now run cows on three of those properties. And have made friends with all Involved. You know when your at fault. A man doesn't try to duck it , he steps up and shoulders it. Why make it worse by including lawyers.

sstterry said:
callmefence said:

What about the supervisor that orders the workers into a dangerous situation known only to him or the employer that intentionally removes a guard or disables a safety stop on a punch press because they don't want the machine to be down for repairs. Also, what if a worker is required to drive a company truck and the employer just disregards fixing the brakes that it knows are bad?
It's a free country , take your skills to a responsible company

callmefence said:
jltrent said:
callmefence said:

That doesn't make sense. Someone rear ended me is responsible for damages. If nobody pays yes I would clean up my mess but not his. That's his problem.

Several years ago we had a fire that was a unfortunate accident. But it had to be someone's fault and that was me. A mistake on my part didn't have use of subcontractors listed on my policy. ....no lawyers needed. Only burnt brush and damaged fences but on four propertys. I went to every property owner sit down and made a plan to get them cleaned up. Cost me about 40,000
No lie I now run cows on three of those properties. And have made friends with all Involved. You know when your at fault. A man doesn't try to duck it , he steps up and shoulders it. Why make it worse by including lawyers.

Like I said you are a good guy and I wish everybody was like you as Lawyers would not be needed. I would have did the same thing.

callmefence said:
jltrent said:
sstterry said:

I generally agree with you Fence but not this time. If you think for one second an employer won't withhold information that could get an employee killed or dump 20 million gallons of chemical in a river because the fine is cheaper than proper disposal your sorely mistaken. You're comment about going to work for a responsible employer is all fine and dandy if you find out about the situation before you get hurt. I've worked in an industrial setting for 25 yrs, held management positions ,floor sweeper, and any were in between. It's one thing for a dummy to take the guard off a grinder or not wear a face shield even though training and proper equipment was provided, it's completely different deal when a man has a 2,500# 1,000*F steam valve blow out next to him because "management" decided the down time to fix it was too long even though testing showed the metal was too thin. Trust me companies can and will knowingly put you in situations that can get you hurt without your knowledge. You've been in business long enough to know it's a game of risk, don't think a company dragging in a billion a year won't play games with peoples safety.

Oh yea I originally just got on here to say I hate self checkouts. I avoid them if at all possible. It's the only time I feel like if some low life gets away with stealing it's too bad so sad for the dummies that decided to install them

Lucky said:
I generally agree with you Fence but not this time. If you think for one second an employer won't withhold information that could get an employee killed or dump 20 million gallons of chemical in a river because the fine is cheaper than proper disposal your sorely mistaken. You're comment about going to work for a responsible employer is all fine and dandy if you find out about the situation before you get hurt. I've worked in an industrial setting for 25 yrs, held management positions ,floor sweeper, and any were in between. It's one thing for a dummy to take the guard off a grinder or not wear a face shield even though training and proper equipment was provided, it's completely different deal when a man has a 2,500# 1,000*F steam valve blow out next to him because "management" decided the down time to fix it was too long even though testing showed the metal was too thin. Trust me companies can and will knowingly put you in situations that can get you hurt without your knowledge. You've been in business long enough to know it's a game of risk, don't think a company dragging in a billion a year won't play games with peoples safety.
He likes getting me riled. He and I are good. :compute:

Lucky said:
callmefence said:
jltrent said:

I agree 100 percent. I think I already said there's a difference in negligence and having to babysit grown-ups . Many lawyers don't care. As long as there's fruit, preferably low hanging. Their raiding the orchard.

jltrent said:
callmefence said:
jltrent said:

Like I said you are a good guy and I wish everybody was like you as Lawyers would not be needed. I would have did the same thing.

Thanks for the kind words. I don't mean that lawyers are not needed. It's just generally they are the only ones that when. I'm not so niave to think the world's doesn't have dishonest people. My point is just that as often as the employer is at fault, so is the employ.
Had a kid this week rip the door off my brand new 10,000 dollar dump trailer on a customers custom gate. If I took the lose out of his check if have twc up my azz,
Being a employer shouldn't make one a target .

It's a breath of fresh air to discuss something with men like you , Terry, and lucky. Good conversation

Latest posts