Farm Store Fertilize Shock

Help Support CattleToday:

stocky

Reaction score
I got a shock today when I talked with my local farm store about fertilize for this spring. I had been talking with them every couple of weeks and they were going to tell me the right time that they felt would be the cheapest to lock the price in. My family has done business with them all of our lives, the original owner of the place has passed away and his wife and the son and daughter run it and do a great job.
Their business, as well as their fertilize building and bins are next to the railroad tracks, so they have always been able to get fertilize, lime, or whatever supplies by rail, as well as by road. They supply fertilize for people in this whole area and have about 20 of the carts that are 5 ton carts to loan to people who want to spread their own. It is only a 7 mile pull for me to use the carts, so it saves alot of money for me to buy it and use their cart to spread my own.
They had given me an estimated price and it had stayed pretty steady and I was going to lock it in today or tomorrow. HOWEVER, they called me today and told me that Homeland Security had visited them and told them their fertilize business is immediately shut down. They gave them a long list of all the things they will have to build and purchase in order to get back in business. It includes, fences, buildings, security cameras and personnel, among other things. Their family sells their products very reasonably priced and do not gouge customers. They have decided it would bankrupt them to spend all the money it would take to meet these regulations.
Now, all the people in this area, will have to find another supplier, which will make it more difficult as others are over crowded and cannot add alot of new customers. The nearest place to buy is now 20 miles away. That is alot of difference to pull a fertilize spreader with an old pickup. This won't be just an isolated incident. There will be other shutdowns across the country. We were told that this government has given up on destroying our private property rights and our cattle farms by new laws, so they will do it by executive order and regulations through the EPA and Homeland Security. Those words are sure ringing true.
Has anyone else had this issue, yet?

This was the farm store at Crane. V-Mar. I hope it is not a trend, but no doubt, they have targeted a group that they think they can close, then that puts them another step in the direction of taking away more independence from private property owners

What did they have ammonia nitrate or something? That's the only reason I've heard of fert. suppliers getting fined or shutdown.

I do not know exactly. They mixed the fertilize like you wanted it and loaded it into the cart. They had whatever provided the nitrogen in the fertilize they mixed. They had granulated fertilize, not liquid, that I am aware of.

This may be a coincidence if you believe in these but I am licensed to work with explosives and each year I have to fill out a lot of paperwork and stuff to stay in compliance with the ATF and DHS. I have an agent assigned to me and we were going over the renewal forms just last week when he asked me if I had any trouble purchasing ammonium nitrate. I told him I didn't think so but said many fertilizer places had stopped carrying it just because of the DOT regulations. He said there was some inter-agency talk about shutting down all sales of ammonium nitrate but did not know if any of this had been pushed through yet and was curious. Coincidence?

I would doubt that it is coincidence. Last year, they told me they got their nitrates from China, the year before they got them from Belarus. Sounds like it has become impossible to get it here in the USA. So, those regulations are probably closing the loop to keep it from getting to the farmers. Shipping it halfway around the world has to add alot to the cost, also

I don't think its a coincidence either. What I have observed is they tend to discretely create regulations to suit their desire to control us under the guise of public safety or national security. Most of these regulations go unnoticed by the general public so there is little or no outcry and the few that do are considered nut jobs. alarmists or malcontents. You are seeing this one first hand but I doubt the general public will care just like they didn't care when it became illegal for me to purchase cardboard tubing less than 12 inches in length without a federal explosives manufacturing permit. Granted I can still purchase tubing in lengths greater than 12 inches. Heck I can buy it in six foot sticks but nothing 12" or less since a nut case or a terrorist would never be able to figure out how to trim these longer lengths down to lengths suitable to make a stick of dynamite. Sounds crazy but its true.

http://searchcompliance.techtarget.com/ ... protection
this is basically what you have described that the supplier has to do... only on a smaller level... i have been in security for a while and some of the rules n regulations are down right ignorant imho... the guys that work for the client agree... small town anything will NOT be a target for terrorism..at least not from foreigners...but the govt loves to make sure they have their hands in everyones pockets as deep as they can get 'em... just curious.. is there anything that can be used instead of ammonia nitrate? sorry i don't know S**t about fertilizer lol ..as far as complying.. what is so expensive? the cameras aren't too bad in price..seen a few that have about 8 remotes with complete set up for @ $500 .. a security guard isnt a big deal either.. a warm body in the seat that can read n write... lots of ways to comply without breaking the bank...hopefully they will be able to stay open.. but unless they get someone to show them that it is doable they wont and then i bet the govt will move right on in and take over :( i'm a cynic these days... can't help it with all i see and hear in the world :(

Jogeephus":f43se58s said:
This may be a coincidence if you believe in these but I am licensed to work with explosives and each year I have to fill out a lot of paperwork and stuff to stay in compliance with the ATF and DHS. I have an agent assigned to me and we were going over the renewal forms just last week when he asked me if I had any trouble purchasing ammonium nitrate. I told him I didn't think so but said many fertilizer places had stopped carrying it just because of the DOT regulations. He said there was some inter-agency talk about shutting down all sales of ammonium nitrate but did not know if any of this had been pushed through yet and was curious. Coincidence?

I know several people who have their explosives license. All are at least one bubble off of plumb....

Jogeephus":2e9r51lq said:
I don't think its a coincidence either. What I have observed is they tend to discretely create regulations to suit their desire to control us under the guise of public safety or national security. Most of these regulations go unnoticed by the general public so there is little or no outcry and the few that do are considered nut jobs. alarmists or malcontents. You are seeing this one first hand but I doubt the general public will care just like they didn't care when it became illegal for me to purchase cardboard tubing less than 12 inches in length without a federal explosives manufacturing permit. Granted I can still purchase tubing in lengths greater than 12 inches. Heck I can buy it in six foot sticks but nothing 12" or less since a nut case or a terrorist would never be able to figure out how to trim these longer lengths down to lengths suitable to make a stick of dynamite. Sounds crazy but its true.
Empty grease tubes.

What was the outcome on the Texascity fertilizer plant explosion. Was ammonium nitrate involved?

Latest posts