Cashierless store....................

Help Support CattleToday:

Having employees generally just sucks. Every now and then you get a good one but most just don't seem to care if they tear your stuff up or cost you a bunch of money. It's one thing if they break the window on the skid steer pushing brush or tear a hydraulic line off the tractor trying to get a job done but I'd be pretty upset about the gate incident. Sounds like he was just being careless.

jltrent said:
sstterry said:
haase said:
Sorely mistaken, if you say so, only have been in business for over 35 years, guess the money that we spent on equipment for safety over the years has been in vain, 4 wheel drive scissor lifts instead of ladders, fall protection gear, safety meetings can go on and on, if you don't believe the workplace today is safer than before than you're sorely mistaken.

And I have seen the numbers and worked in the field. I have worked with both sides of the aisle to write Worker's Comp and other Legislation for close to 40 years. Just because you take precautions does not mean every employer does.

Good post as most employers do try to have a safe work place (helmets, googles, safety shields left in place, etc.) all do not. If someone gets a eye put out and the employer did not require them to wear safety glasses and they should have the employer will be a fault and a possible OSHA investigation and legal counsel will get involved. This guy knows his business and is only trying to help. I have said it before if needed a good lawyer is worth every penny.
And the part that I talked about the workplace today is alot safer than it used to be seem to fly over a couple folks head, hey if jobs aren't safe here to work, I'm sure China will accept you, probably much better work conditions and better pay and benefits, feel free to travel.

haase said:
jltrent said:
sstterry said:
And I have seen the numbers and worked in the field. I have worked with both sides of the aisle to write Worker's Comp and other Legislation for close to 40 years. Just because you take precautions does not mean every employer does.

Good post as most employers do try to have a safe work place (helmets, googles, safety shields left in place, etc.) all do not. If someone gets a eye put out and the employer did not require them to wear safety glasses and they should have the employer will be a fault and a possible OSHA investigation and legal counsel will get involved. This guy knows his business and is only trying to help. I have said it before if needed a good lawyer is worth every penny.
And the part that I talked about the workplace today is alot safer than it used to be seem to fly over a couple folks head, hey if jobs aren't safe here to work, I'm sure China will accept you, probably much better work conditions and better pay and benefits, feel free to travel.
I worked at an aircraft modification for some thirty years and I saw safety improvements to prevent accidents from happening being improved each year. From cable along the wings and top of the fuselage that you had to have a safety harness and then a safety harness with a shock absorber in the harness. Safety glasses and side shields were the norm. I did have one accident. Started up some stairs to get to the top of a work platform. The first step when going up there was a cross bar that I hit. Drove my head into my spine and paralyzed me for a little while. Shook it off but the company hauled me to the emergency room for an exam and the doctor asked them to keep me at home for a week. There was paper work filed that I had to sign the paper work stated that any time in the future that I might have problems from the accident then I could file for damages.

There is no doubt that 99% of companies now days really work hard to improve the day to day safety of it's employees. Some of the things we are required to do now are kind of ridiculous but if it keeps us safe I'm good with it. At the end of the day companies need to remain profitable though. It's all about calculated risk I guess. " hey wear all this PPE and fill out this risk assessment before we send you out to open a valve we were told needs replacing, while your at it can we do a safety observation on you". I'm good with most things but have said "I'm not doing that it's not safe".

haase said:

No one even hinted that the workplace today is not a lot safer than it used to be. Your words were:

The safety issue as far as employers cutting corners is long gone...

You may not be doing it, but to say all employers aren't is just wrong. I am glad that you are responsible enough to take care of your employees, but sadly a large percentage aren't.

sstterry said:
haase said:

No one even hinted that the workplace today is not a lot safer than it used to be. Your words were:

The safety issue as far as employers cutting corners is long gone...

You may not be doing it, but to say all employers aren't is just wrong. I am glad that you are responsible enough to take care of your employees, but sadly a large percentage aren't.
I'm kinda thinking that's what I said, do I need to type slower, go in any of my post were I said everyone, the only thing that I posted was its better now than it was in the past, and I sure don't need someone explaining workmans comp to me.

And the part of cutting corners did not refer to everyone, as being long gone same thing as above, meaning better today.

I sure hate to see the people lose their jobs... I went through the checkout at Walmart a few days ago and the older lady said she hoped she could get her car paid off. Maybe they can find her another job.

sstterry said:
haase said:
And the part of cutting corners did not refer to everyone, as being long gone same thing as above, meaning better today.

Your words, not mine.

"The safety issue as far as employers cutting corners is long gone..."
You got me there, maybe should have worded it a little differently, my meaning on that was still to refer that companies to day are far different on cutting corners on safety today, than in the past, and I doubt that we will see it go backwards.

haase said:
sstterry said:
haase said:

Your words, not mine.

"The safety issue as far as employers cutting corners is long gone..."
You got me there, maybe should have worded it a little differently, my meaning on that was still to refer that companies to day are far different on cutting corners on safety today, than in the past, and I doubt that we will see it go backwards.

I agree with you.

Safety requires common sense, not protective gear .
Comanche peak nuclear power plant. We where required to wear hardhats , gloves ear plugs, fall harnesses and eye protection at all times.
No exceptions, zero tolerance.
We where building a chain link and razor wire fence on top of a 5' x5' concrete wall. The fall harnesses once the stitches in the shock absorber pull out amounts to 9' of lead, that was funny but no big deal.
We where working at the hot water discharge in January. Hot water mixing with cold water and much colder air temp. Glasses fogged immediately. So along with the ear plugs we where deaf and blind. We cut the lenses out of our glasses and just swapped them out when the safety man got close. Had I mentioned it to to anyone there would have been a meeting to schedule a meeting to decide who needed to be called together to have a meeting to figure out glasses fog up in these extraordinary condition's. That's how educated people make up for their lack of common sense. Lots of meetings.

I've got plenty more examples but not the time right now.

The sad part about this thread is, were such a young country that has prospered well above others, but today we are going through B.S that will make us like the other failures and bring us down, soon we will be like the other failures, and intelligent folks know were it came from, it is really sad that we can't even produce a strong work force, failures in parenting and common sense in our country is starting to show, just like our pitiful media, enjoy because this is what you asked for, and don't even reply on who asked for it, because it just proves the point.

callmefence said:
Safety requires common sense, not protective gear .
Comanche peak nuclear power plant. We where required to wear hardhats , gloves ear plugs, fall harnesses and eye protection at all times.
No exceptions, zero tolerance.
We where building a chain link and razor wire fence on top of a 5' x5' concrete wall. The fall harnesses once the stitches in the shock absorber pull out amounts to 9' of lead, that was funny but no big deal.
We where working at the hot water discharge in January. Hot water mixing with cold water and much colder air temp. Glasses fogged immediately. So along with the ear plugs we where deaf and blind. We cut the lenses out of our glasses and just swapped them out when the safety man got close. Had I mentioned it to to anyone there would have been a meeting to schedule a meeting to decide who needed to be called together to have a meeting to figure out glasses fog up in these extraordinary condition's. That's how educated people make up for their lack of common sense. Lots of meetings.

I've got plenty more examples but not the time right now.

Most of those safety regulations are written in blood.

Latest posts