Cashierless store....................

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
It appears this is the way retailers are headed. The technology is there and we either check ourselves out or we do without. I still get pizzed to see a couple cashiers manning a large retail store that is full of customers and I have to scan and bag my on items. I guess I will have to get over it. I don't know what people are suppose to work at as stockers will not be needed much longer either.

I guess the self driving truck backups to the dock and robots unload and sets the items out and the customers pay for the goods. Pretty soon it will be employeeless retailers.

https://www.grocerydive.com/news/walmart-opens-cashierless-store-in-florida/570293/

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/09/amazon-is-now-selling-its-cashierless-store-technology-to-other-retailers/

There aren't many jobs that can't be automated out of existence. I'm not sure where a society goes from there.

Caustic Burno said:
In Walmart the other day had a robotic floor cleaner working the aisles.

And the damm thing stops and waits for you to move out of its way like your the inconvenience. 🤨

Buck Randall said:
There aren't many jobs that can't be automated out of existence. I'm not sure where a society goes from there.
Cattle Farmers are the exceptions, wait a minute, lab grown meat is getting better and look for it to gain market share. A few large labs with raw materials inputs could produce thousands of pounds of meat a day flavored any way you like.

Another thing that bothers me is the face recognition cameras now in some stores. Who knows were this is headed and how it will be used against us.

Caustic Burno said:
A long time Walmart employee seeing one of these taking their place I am sure is not a good feeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWyt8W-Vgss

jltrent said:
It appears this is the way retailers are headed. The technology is there and we either check ourselves out or we do without. I still get pizzed to see a couple cashiers manning a large retail store that is full of customers and I have to scan and bag my on items. I guess I will have to get over it. I don't know what people are suppose to work at as stockers will not be needed much longer either.

I guess the self driving truck backups to the dock and robots unload and sets the items out and the customers pay for the goods. Pretty soon it will be employeeless retailers.

https://www.grocerydive.com/news/walmart-opens-cashierless-store-in-florida/570293/

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/09/amazon-is-now-selling-its-cashierless-store-technology-to-other-retailers/

Would not shop there.

Our retailers been working this angle for a long time, I always avoid the self checkout and wait for a cashier, but they used covid to undermine this recently, so you could still go to a checkout, but you had to do everything, load and pack & pay they ask for contactless...mmm...what are they readying us for ?

And then you get the lazy checkout twit, who will say, you can self serve over there.....yeah, nah, you will have no job if we all do that.

If they gave a 30% discount, yeah, I would go I suppose, but big retailers already screwing everyone in the supply chain, they are itching to get rid of people...

If there is a price error, do you argue with the bot ?

re the floor cleaner, look to see if it has a battery pack or an off switch, I would maybe turn it off if it kept coming at me while trying to do what I do not enjoy already ....

jltrent said:
Caustic Burno said:
A long time Walmart employee seeing one of these taking their place I am sure is not a good feeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWyt8W-Vgss

All of the Walmart stories in my area had contracted with floor cleaning Companies for the floor cleaning. It was done early in the morning before the store filled with shoppers.

jltrent said:
Buck Randall said:
Cattle Farmers are the exceptions, wait a minute, lab grown meat is getting better and look for it to gain market share. A few large labs with raw materials inputs could produce thousands of pounds of meat a day flavored any way you like.

Another thing that bothers me is the face recognition cameras now in some stores. Who knows were this is headed and how it will be used against us.

There are already robots that milk cows and scrape manure, so I wouldn't rule out that farming as we know it could cease to exist even if lab grown meat never takes off.

If people where reliable, dependable, honest came to work on time and gave a honest effort.
Didn't drag their personal problems to work.
And appreciated having a job instead of considering their employer the enemy that owes them just for signing on, maybe folks wouldn't be looking for ways to get people off the payroll.
Employees the biggest expense, problem and threat to a business

Seems like simple answer to just shop elsewhere and pay a little more to support the workers. Or has consumer greed for the lowest cost goods killed all your local businesses?

Main Street USA is dead. Every one thinks that cheap today won't cost you tomorrow.

The Wal-Mart employees have cut their own throat. In Illinois they lobbied for a $15/hr min wage. Wal-Mart supported it, got it passed. Then started rolling out the self checking isles.
Wal-Mart isn't stupid. Let someone else pay people $15/hr, and the people will still shop at Wal-Mart because it's the cheapest.

callmefence said:
Progress is a terrible thing.
Think of how many jobs where lost to the tractor, the chainsaw, the nail gun all allowing one person to do the work off several. Plain evil I tell ya

The faller/buncher has replaced the majority of guys cutting trees with a chain saw. I have been told that one faller/buncher replaces 10 fallers with chain saws.

I never shop at Walmart.... period. I don't go through self check out. If a store went entirely to self check out I would quit shopping there. The Mom and Pop stores still do check out and I like to support them anyway.

callmefence said:
If people where reliable, dependable, honest came to work on time and gave a honest effort.
And appreciated having a job instead of considering their employer the enemy that owes them just for signing on, maybe folks wouldn't be looking for ways to get people off the payroll.
I think that has alot to do with the matter, it sure is harder today to find employees that want to work and be responsible.

haase said:
callmefence said:
I think that has alot to do with the matter, it sure is harder today to find employees that want to work and be responsible.

Or some dumbazz gets himself hurt and somehow it's the employers fault. Never seen a machine file workman's comp, unemployment or sue the business that gave it a job.

SBMF 2015 said:
Main Street USA is dead. Every one thinks that cheap today won't cost you tomorrow.

The Wal-Mart employees have cut their own throat. In Illinois they lobbied for a $15/hr min wage. Wal-Mart supported it, got it passed. Then started rolling out the self checking isles.
Wal-Mart isn't stupid. Let someone else pay people $15/hr, and the people will still shop at Wal-Mart because it's the cheapest.

We have a main street, a 1500 sq' grocery store with five isles. No chain restaurants , stores or fast food with the exception of a dollar general.

The wife does travel the 30 miles to Walmart or HEB sometimes
I rarely go because of my condition.

Most of these stores are "plastic card" stores. Only a few of them make you do all the work and then you hit the cashier for the exchange of money.

I will not deal with a store that does this. If cash is not used I will not go.

China uses this as part of its system to track its people and applies it to the "social credit" score you build and maintain.

This social rating uses a scoring system to decide what you can buy, where you travel and how well you are treated by their government.

"The Chinese state is setting up a vast ranking system that will monitor the behavior of its enormous population, and rank them all based on their "social credit." ... Like private credit scores, a person's social score can move up and down depending on their behavior."

This is why I refuse to utilize only plastic. It is and can be used as a tracking device. It is inevitable that this will arrive in our parts of the world if this continues.

Cash is king.

I have seen this personally and trust me folks, if it comes you will not like it.

Best to all,

Bez

Latest posts