case 2090 tractor question.

Help Support CattleToday:

George

Reaction score
The other day my Dad pulled a wagon up to the shed with the 2090,and he started to weld on the wagon.He was welding awayon the wagon when all of a sudden the tractor started,the current from the welder must have travelled from the wagon to the tractor to the starter.He went to look at why the tractor was running the starter had shorted out and the tractor was running and the starter was on fire.He put the fire out and turned off the tractor,tried to start the tractor after that but the starter was fried.He took the starter to town and got it rebuilt,and it still won't work.There is power at the batterys but there is no current flowing through the tractor,the cab lights won't even come on.Is there a safety fuse or something like that in the wiring harness?I think maybe the ignition switch got fried the same time the starter did,but i don't want to tear it out just yet if that isn't what it is.Has anyone ever heard of such a thing or how to fix it?

Wrong breed for me but check your cables first then go downstream. I wonder if it didn't fry a cable or ruin a connection. It's a might coincidental it happened while he was welding on the wagon but I've seen starter solenoids stick like yours for no reason, not even a person around. Neighbor had a tractor burn up like that.

cfpinz

well this is my breed ;-) but it shouldnt make a dif. sounds like a wire also burnt up or some kinda connection source. are you sure the starter was rebuilt right??

We had something happen to our 8550 AC like that once. We weren't welding on it though. It just started turning over one day while sitting in the shed older AC have that injection pump shutoff knob so it wouldn't start and by the time someone heard it trying to start the starter was junk. Why couldn't that have been one of those days when the batteries were to dead to turn it over instead. After all was said and done we needed new starter and new starter button in the dash apparently it shorted out causing starter to spin.

I can't help you with your problem , but we always disconnect a battery cable if we are welding on something that has an alternator , I was told that the current could flow the wrong way thru the diodes and burn them out. Maybe if the battery would have been disconnected this wouldn't have happened

George; There's a second solenoid on the 2090 just forward of the starter and mounted inside the frame plate. Check to see if you have power at the transmission safety switch (just ahead of the axle and below the cab....it has a wire leading to the frame solenoid). Our old 2090 eats solenoids regularily and we always seem to be replacing them! I've heard of several of these tractors starting spontaneously and we always try to park ours with the fuel shut off button pulled out! Hopefully your problem isn't in the wire harness where it goes through the steering wheel adjustment.......that's a tough one to find and fix. Good luck!

cowsense":1vk0lg7g said:
George; There's a second solenoid on the 2090 just forward of the starter and mounted inside the frame plate. Check to see if you have power at the transmission safety switch (just ahead of the axle and below the cab....it has a wire leading to the frame solenoid). Our old 2090 eats solenoids regularily and we always seem to be replacing them! I've heard of several of these tractors starting spontaneously and we always try to park ours with the fuel shut off button pulled out! Hopefully your problem isn't in the wire harness where it goes through the steering wheel adjustment.......that's a tough one to find and fix. Good luck!
That's what it was,the second relay.Changed it and it started right up.I had to take it to the mechanic last week to have it figured out though.

Latest posts