cant make money at this anymore

Help Support CattleToday:

I would say the herd has to go before your pasture declines further. You could try a handful of stockers for freezer beef next year if feed prices moderate but top priority has to be saving your pastures.

the issue i had with making or buying one is the app rate is so high d be refilling what i could carry every 2 passes..at every 750 ft deep id go once each way and have to refill and batch..time and costs added up so quick i went the pay someone route..except im too small an op for anyone to bother....

yea i dont have any of that stuff kids..and honestly..ive made so little money this yr off cows im laoning them moneys..so unlikely ill be buying a spray rig for 1000 bucks...i mean i fi could do all that things wouldnt suck a much...right now im doing nothing..its all i can afford and i cant come up with abetter plan except selling more animals...clafs will be ready by aug..so hopefully there will be some rain by then or they gonna be sorry skinny calfs and bring no moneys

the issue i had with making or buying one is the app rate is so high d be refilling what i could carry every 2 passes..at every 750 ft deep id go once each way and have to refill and batch..time and costs added up so quick i went the pay someone route..except im too small an op for anyone to bother....
You need to check your math.

Let's say a tote is 300g. You should be about to do 20-30ac depending on the nozzler set up.

I'm not sure the exact plant you are talking about but I've seen good coverage and kill with as low as 12 gallons per acre.

Could you run hogs on it? Just give them a little section at a time with electric netting and keep moving them. I'd think they'd eat the roots of that and till up the soil and fertilize so you could overseed with desirable species behind them. Then you'd be able to sell pature raised pork when they're finished. Might take a few years but it would be a way to renovate the pasture and maybe at least break even doing it.
That's how they used to control garlic here in the old days. Hogs would root up the bulbs and eat them.

I'm in Illinois and don't have a feel for Florida, so I don't know if this would work. My daughter lives on the East side of Florida, and there are a lot of people. There's a guy with around 5 head on less than an acre. People pay him and he gives them food. They walk over and feed his cattle. He does the same thing with his chickens. Also sells eggs for $9 per dozen. He works out of an old camper. Sells through a window. I don't know if that would work for you or not

Label for Weedmaster (dicamba+2,4-D) says 5 to 40 gallons per acre with higher rate used for dense or tall vegetation. I usually aim for 20 gallons/acre. Select the nozzle to match the rate so that you can keep the pressure up to ensure spray pattern. 20 to 30 psig should be ok for 8003 nozzles. Use a good nonionic surfactant.

at 20 gal per thats 150 gal per pasture...4 of those and one 25 ac. i had a 40 gal sprayer...

as for having the means..things have changed considerably,,work has slowed..ot is short...no more side biz selling feed..cargill is killing off the smalll timers...so im making about 2/3 of what i did 2 yrs ago callmefence
I'm in Illinois and don't have a feel for Florida, so I don't know if this would work. My daughter lives on the East side of Florida, and there are a lot of people. There's a guy with around 5 head on less than an acre. People pay him and he gives them food. They walk over and feed his cattle. He does the same thing with his chickens. Also sells eggs for $9 per dozen. He works out of an old camper. Sells through a window. I don't know if that would work for you or not
here 18 pk of off the farm eggs is 4$..nobody is walkin out here..im quite far from town and my cows aint pets...even the side deal selling beef...pretty much gone south. people cant afford it and the butchers are 6-8 mos out....i just cant keep up with it...

at 20 gal per thats 150 gal per pasture...4 of those and one 25 ac. i had a 40 gal sprayer...

as for having the means..things have changed considerably,,work has slowed..ot is short...no more side biz selling feed..cargill is killing off the smalll timers...so im making about 2/3 of what i did 2 yrs ago callmefence

here 18 pk of off the farm eggs is 4$..nobody is walkin out here..im quite far from town and my cows aint pets...even the side deal selling beef...pretty much gone south. people cant afford it and the butchers are 6-8 mos out....i just cant keep up with it...
Dang man. Just sell them all and quit crying about it. Buy back in when your situation is better, or sell it all and start something new. You're obviously over it, so move on. No shame in going a different direction.

wondering how to handle it. little helpful inpt. havent seen much i havent tried tho.

never mind....ill figure it out.....i see aint schidt changed around here much...

They pay $9 for the eggs because they are feeding the chickens. The cows are tame because they are on about a half acre with no grass and people are handing them food through the fence. I don't have the people living around here to do it. I sell eggs for $2 per dozen. Evidently you don't have enough population either. They have about 5 acres in town. They also grow and sell strawberries. I didn't figure that you were in the right place. I was just impressed that people were paying him to let them feed his cattle and chickens.

This is the sprayer I have been looking at to get some places on the utv I can't get with te tractor. Its 60g and claims 24'.

What if you just buy the pump and their boom kit and hook it to a water tote? If you have a trailer you just throw it on to spray? It's not ideal but may get you by for a couple years.
check this one out. i bought one last year but havent used it yet due to no rain last year. Its on Amazon. I plan on using it in by truck with a tote and 12 vdc pump.

WORKHORSE SPRAYERS BK007HM 7

do a search.

I bought this last year. going to use it in my trucks receiver hitch. a tote and a 12vdc pump will do just fine. a also got this 20-20-20 fertilizer to mix in the tote as a foliar fertilizer.

Fertilizer https://hancockseed.com/products/202020-liquid-soluble-fertilizer

Latest posts