Making money in cattle!

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Lots of discussion about making money in the cattle, especially from new members. Each of us have our own ideas on making money. Jeanne makes it in the high dollar show cattle. Warren with the Corriente, Murray with the Jerseys and baby's, Dave and Txpapaw with one and dones, me with the rough calves and trade cows. Some very large operations especially in Canada. Some small with only a few head. There is money to be made and lost in every venture. Let's all respect others ideas and learn from them.

Yep! So many different ways to do it!
I flip a few too....

Took a lil bull calf to a sale at about 250lbs around 2 months ago. It never got over 200 bucks. Had to p.o. him.

Steered him, wormed him, implanted him.
He brought just over $700 last weekend.
I had about 400 in him after all that crap!

Don't be afraid to take one back home and make him/her better for later.

Friend of mine buys one or two young(2 or 3 yr olds) bred cows and puts a group of about 20 or so together and sell later as heavy bred or pairs. Makes real good money at it too.

Another friend inherited all his cattle. He does very little aside from gather crazy lil calves a few times a year and collects a check. (Not as nice as if he'd put a lil into em, make em steers and a round of shots would do better)

I can appreciate most all aspects of it!

I want to know how things work for those of you that run feeders and or stockers. Cow calf thing isn't working for me.

I'm figuring you can 2 to 3 for what a cow/calf requires.

I've been trying to study up on grazing other folks animals too. That seem like a possible route to go.
How many acres of grass do you have, Clinch?

Yep! So many different ways to do it!
I flip a few too....

Took a lil bull calf to a sale at about 250lbs around 2 months ago. It never got over 200 bucks. Had to p.o. him.

Steered him, wormed him, implanted him.
He brought just over $700 last weekend.
I had about 400 in him after all that crap!

Don't be afraid to take one back home and make him/her better for later.

Friend of mine buys one or two young(2 or 3 yr olds) bred cows and puts a group of about 20 or so together and sell later as heavy bred or pairs. Makes real good money at it too.

Another friend inherited all his cattle. He does very little aside from gather crazy lil calves a few times a year and collects a check. (Not as nice as if he'd put a lil into em, make em steers and a round of shots would do better)

I can appreciate most all aspects of it!
Good on you Murray!

I want to know how things work for those of you that run feeders and or stockers. Cow calf thing isn't working for me.

I've been trying to study up on grazing other folks animals too. That seem like a possible route to go.
If you need to have cattle, hang onto those cows. As a rule, most yearling guys make enough in two or three good years to cover the losses made in another 3 years out of ten. The other years you break even.

One problem as I see it with cow/calf or similar endeavors is the length of time required to generate a sale.
If money is generated at the point of sale it make sense to have a product to sell more often. As far as cattle there is nothing I like better than the
anticipation of new birth in the spring and that very few minutes spent in the auction ring. While I enjoy the rest it is for the most part just
batting practice or cleaning the gun getting ready for the game or hunt. So it would seem to me if you want to make more in cattle you need to
sell cattle more often. (talking to myself as well) This can be difficult if one is employed and depending on a job for cash flow and day to day
necessities. There are maybe four or five on these pages that if I had the chance I would pick their minds and apply some of that knowledge to
my operation. The common denominator from where I set is they do not limit themselves to only one point of sale per year. To sum it up it may
not be so much of an issue of how much but how often. [hope that made sense]

I run 50 mamma cows and it looks like you don't want much fewer than that if you want to do cow-calf. I honestly would prefer the stocker business to tell you the truth but cow-calf is lower risk (my 2 cents)

I really enjoy stockers. I have a couple friends that have switched from cows to stockers in the last couple years, and they seem to prefer it too. It's pretty fun watching cattle grow. Also for the most part easier, unless you get a bad batch. They say that will happen, and I found that out this winter. There is definitely some tuition to pay. I'm not sure there is as huge risk as most think. As long as you don't leverage your expenses, it would be hard to go real far backwards. Even with the groups I learned tuition on, it was around break even after I charge myself for labor and pasture rent.

I think the money in all styles of the cattle industry is in inventory management. Also, scale helps a lot. It is much easier to scale with stockers.

You can do both and what I prefer. I want to keep a steady base of young to mid age cows and then add stocker calves for the rapid spring grass growth and keep them as long as I have summer forage. When things turn dry, its much easier to sell the stockers to retain some forage for the cows.

The young stocker calves I buy take some time and expense to get hem going good and healthy but after that, and the weather warms, they are almost on automatic until you run out of grass or winter approaches. Buying in February, selling in November is ideal. If you buy calves that match your own, than you can also sell larger groups.

About the turn of the century. I met an old man at some of our teamroping jackpots and practices. I guess he was 70 or so. He had 12 different 30-40 acre pastures he rented. Well, not really pastures, mostly fenced in planted pines and cut-over timber. One was a 50 acre abandoned auto junkyard. Back then, the local timber company leased land for hunting clubs, etc, for next to nothing. The clubs would put up the gates and cables, and monitor for tresspassers and poachers for the company. This old man would buy Corriente cows from people...a lot from me.. and had 25 in each pasture. Jan pasture, Feb pasture, etc. That would be the month they calved in. Jan 30th , if a cow hadn't calved, he'd move it to the Feb pasture, etc. Had 3 Brangus bulls most of the time, that he moved every month. Like this month the bulls would be with the herd that calved in October. etc. His goal was to have 25 calves each month, polled black calves, that he sold to team penning contractors and arena owners for $300 a head. In competition you use 30 head in a pen, numbers 1-10 but for most practices and jackpots, you used 21, numbers 1-7. And if he didn;t have those 25 calves sold at weaning time, he'd take them to the sale, often brought more than the $300. But, he was retired and that was all he had to do was go check on them about once a week per herd. The man got $7500 a month..not bad income. Virtually no inputs other than rent, and occaisionally buying a Corr replacement cow, which the sale of one calf would cover. He had a few of the teenage ropers that came to the practiced and jackpots, that would come out every month to heel,tag and band the bull calves. I havent seen him since about 1010 or so, he may be dead by now. Since the Obama Depression, teampenning has waned in popularity, due to the higher costs and lack of people's disposable income, and team sorting is the rage now. Takes less cattle and not as much space. He probably had $75k in those 300 cows, and they paid him $7500 a month. Not a bad ROI at all.

I had a man point out to me years ago that I wasn't counting my money right when it comes to cow/calf operations. He was right but it took me several years to see it. I really enjoy spring calving time but also enjoy the stocker side of things too. The way I'm doing things now I can get the best of both worlds but it's a long time between pay days. As with any business though the most important part is learning to manage the money. If you can't manage the money it doesn't matter if you sell a calf everyday or 365 calves once a year.

To put it simply, I'd say a yearling or stocker guy sells used cars from his front yard and a cow/calf operator owns a car lot.

Last edited:

You just need to sell fat cows for beef. Let some old guy buy and deliver them to you so you don't run your trailer in the ditch while eating ice cream.
(Everyone ask him what that means)

The guys I know that do custom grazing all seem to do very well. I've been told grazing yearlings pays nearly double what grazing cows does though. The problem with yearlings is I know a few guys that didn't get paid because the money just wasn't there.

The guys I know that do custom grazing all seem to do very well. I've been told grazing yearlings pays nearly double what grazing cows does though. The problem with yearlings is I know a few guys that didn't get paid because the money just wasn't there.
Pay me before they leave. If no money some of the cattle stay.

Pay me before they leave. If no money some of the cattle stay.
Have to have a place and feed to keep them to assert an adjistment lien is main downside to taking in other's cattle. Have to keep possession and keep running the feed bill til sell them.

I think you get paid on the gain so unless you have certified scales...I'm with you though. Some guys take big chances to make the money

Latest posts