Can't get cattle back to the farm

Help Support CattleToday:

redwell

Reaction score
Hello there - I have a problem on my hands. On my father's farm in the North of England UK there is a herd of 25 limousin cattle which we cannot get out the field, back to the farm and away to market. My father is 86 has worked the farm all his life and is ready to retire. The cattle have been in the field for the last 4 years and each attempt to remove them has been a failure. We've tried everything. The field is separated from the farm by what was once a quiet road and roundabout leading to the nearest town. We've successfully moved cattle with the help of neighbouring farmers backwards and forwards over this road for many years until now. Recent building development has caused this road to become a major commuting route and is now extremely busy which might be a cause of the animals reluctance to step out of the gate and onto the tarmac. We've tried the usual methods of temptation with cake mixture, hay and a neighbour's docile cow but to no avail. The last attempt was a disaster which ended in a cattle stampede leading to 2 cars being written off and pending insurance claims. The police have now informed us that to attempt to move the animals across the road is a serious risk and should not be attempted.
Things are complicated by the age of my parents whose farm it is. The farm itself is a typical small family outfit which is coming to the end of it days as there is no one left to take over. I am the only child and have made a life for myself in the city which is about 5 hours away. Despite this I make time every three weeks or so to visit and help out with stuff.
So, a secure pen was constructed with telegraph posts and steel hurdles. A local stocksman and cattle-merchant who had witnessed all previous failed attempts confidently offered his services (in return for a generous lump sum) to take the entire job on. I jumped at the chance as my parents - experienced and fearless as they are, should not be working in a confined space with 25 excitable animals. This was 6 months ago.
It should be mentioned that the cows are actually very docile. During the winter months they are given silage every day and can be petted. True to the breed, the problems start when they sense danger and potential enclosure. After eating continuously for 6 years they have grown massive. A number of the cattle also have developed large horns with one animal's starting to ingrow. About 10 months ago one of the herd gave birth to a male calf courtesy of a neighbour's bull clearing the fence. And we have just received notification of compulsory TB testing which needs to be done (generally every 4 years..).
The stocksman has given up and has stopped answering his phone. This is hugely disappointing as we are entering the time of year when the grass has stopped growing and the cattle are becoming hungry and therefore biddable. Even if the cattle are to be persuaded to enter the pen it would be incredibly difficult and dangerous to load them onto the cattle truck.
I don't know what to do. Neither does anybody else. If the animals need to be culled then so be it although I have no idea how to go about organising such a process especially when the cattle are roaming in a large field. Maybe tranquilisation is an option but the local vet has no experience doing that to a whole herd. A few years ago the area was hit by foot and mouth disease (but thankfully not us) and thousands of animals were slaughtered by the military so I guess it can be done.
If anybody has any ideas I would love to hear them,
Thanks for reading
R

wow, it does sound like a problem.. Other than building a good corral and getting them used to getting fed in it, I don't know what could be done. I don't think something build from panels will hold up very well if they stampede it.

So they haven't shipped any calves or anything in 6 years? Have the bull calves at least been castrated?

*maybe* a couple good men on horses? that can turn into a disaster as well though.

I don't know what other advice I can give you, perhaps someone else here has a good idea?

So what is the purpose of the secure pen made from telephone poles? Which side of the road is it on? Can you inquire that the " sale barn" assist you?

I figure Aaron and I could do this in about a week to ten days

Buy the tickets and we will make it happen.

Whadya' say Aaron?

Otherwise it is time to put a dart in them - pen them tight until the sedative withdrawal has run its course and ship them to slaughter

Bez

Bez__":1uq44d0l said:
I figure Aaron and I could do this in about a week to ten days

Buy the tickets and we will make it happen.

Whadya' say Aaron?

Otherwise it is time to put a dart in them - pen them tight until the sedative withdrawal has run its course and ship them to slaughter

Bez
I don't know about send cattle to slaughter after sedative withdrawal but I'd rather send them to the plant as a dogfood. Otherwise I would give Aaron and Bez three months before they get a rifle out of case and feed the cows lead.

So employ another stockman - you got one who gave up, there will be others out there. By your own account you don't have the know-how to work these cattle.
Bez and Aaron could do it, but I know for sure there are closer cattlemen to you.

Look to your pen construction. Your nice calm stockman will be putting food in there regularly for the next few weeks, with all gates open to begin with allowing the cattle to go in for water, food, wander out again. All you need is truck access, a loading ramp or solid loading pen to back up to and the whole thing so solid that your gentle cows can go insane in there without jumping out or shaking it to bits. The day you load them there is no truck in sight, no strange person, nothing changes except the gate stays closed.
Experienced cattle guys know how to handle this situation, let them do it.

Taurus":1764141r said:
I don't know about send cattle to slaughter after sedative withdrawal but I'd rather send them to the plant as a dogfood. Otherwise I would give Aaron and Bez three months before they get a rifle out of case and feed the cows lead.

Every drug has a withdrawal time - some as little as 24 hours and some as long as 30 days

Once it is past the animal is edible

Lots of old animals go to slaughter - old dairy cows are the biggest pile of meat in any store.

These would be just fine.

Managed to pull in a few Angus a few years ago after a whole bunch of other people gave up.

All it took was a truck winch and a few "thingy's" to make it all happen.

Took me ten days to make it happen.

I sent them to slaughter and paid the owner 50% of the take.

Bez

Since grass is getting thin, feed them in the pen every day. Get them feeling comfortable in there. If I am correct, you do not have large floats (livestock trailers) over there and trucks are used. Do you have a way to load them on the truck if you can get them caught?

Could you pay the local police to close the road just one time to get the cows home?
Another option is to sell them where they are and the buyer have the task of moving them.

Tim/South":3f482kfu said:
ould you pay the local police to close the road just one time to get the cows home?
Another option is to sell them where they are and the buyer have the task of moving them.

:nod:

I thought I was the only one that has done that :)
But I did it by accident. He put his head down to charge me, so I thought I would teach him a lesson and run into his head. NOPE I just rode right up his neck. Going up was easy, getting off without tipping over was much harder.

Oh, ye of little faith. Bez and I can handle it. And if not, Bez has target practice.

Seriously, talk to the manager of the market your planning to send the animals and see if he can contract a crew with handling equipment to come in and get the cattle.

Don't have them cross the road. Someone is going to get killed.

Contact a manufacturer of handling equipment, tell them your ordeal, and see if you can rent a set-up with lots of portable steel panels for a week or so. If so, put a bale of hay in the center of the corral, so the animals have to go into the catch pen, and then trap them. Even a few at a time are better than none.

Latest posts