Cannon bone? for Knersie

Help Support CattleToday:

gberry

Reaction score
Hey Knersie. I've seen you make reference at least a couple of times to the cannon bone as predicting maturity. Do you mind to expound on this more? Can you use the cannon bone to predict mature size and age to maturity? I ask as a complete novice and if this information is common knowledge to everyone else, I apologize.

The length of the cannon bone and also the length of the cannon bone in relation to the proportion of the animal is a good indication of early or late maturing animals. The longer the cannon bone the later maturing the animal, the shorter, the earlier maturing.

When I talk about maturity it isn't just sexual maturity, but more a case of carcass maturity although there is a direct correlation between the two traits. If your goal is grass finished beef look for a very short and flatter cannon bone, if you prefer taller later maturing animals to target the heavier carcass market look for a longer cannon bone.

The science behind this is as soon as the hormones reach a certain level it inhibits the long bone growth and effectively starts the process of closing the growth plates on the long bones (Doc Harris would be more qualified to explain this). As soon as the growth in length decreases the animal starts packing on meat and muscle faster. That is part of the reason for implants in feedlots, not so much to boost the growth in size, but rather to shorten the time the animal take to finish to the desired level.

I will look for a few pics of extremes and will come back and add the pics to illustrate it better.

Here is an extremely late maturing bull, looking at him here in show condition his carcass still doesn't look mature and don't even really looked finished. The argument here isn't really if he is the right type or not, but rather to illustrate the extreme in cannon bone length in a mature animal and what to expect in body type and maturity
ww101p.jpg

This is an ultra late maturing calf, note the length of his cannon bone in relation to the rest of his body
ww63p.jpg

This bull is towards the other extreme, he is ultra early maturing, his cannon bone is very short. He is being advertised as grass genetics.

picture_123.gif

This is an early maturing bullcalf, he is about 9 months old in this photo, cannon bone very short in relation to the rest of his body. Compare him to the calf posted above.
100_3741.jpg

same bullcalf from behind, note the level of carcass maturity at his young age
100_3734.jpg

Thanks Knersie. That is what I was wondering. I would appreciate the pictures, but will also pay a little more attention on my own.

Fred Belknap":f70izouu said:
Knersie I am new on the forum but have raised calves for a few years and the term cannon bone is completly new to me. Don't even know what it is. Looking forward to your pictures.
Between "ankle" and "knee"...

Good information... thanks. :tiphat:

I've got a question.... I would like to breed a little of the "leggyness" out of my herd. Is the long cannon bone trait passed on more from the male, or the female, or is it the result of both equally?

ToddFarmsInc":1jxyj8fv said:

I've got a question.... I would like to breed a little of the "leggyness" out of my herd. Is the long cannon bone trait passed on more from the male, or the female, or is it the result of both equally?

I'd say its pretty much equal from both parties, however daughters tend to take alot after their dams.

The quickest and probably best way to do it is to find an intensely linebred bull that is of the required phenotype or even a little shorter and use him on your cows. He should be more prepotent and the progress should be quicker, you'll also get a bit more vigour out of the first cross.

I've also found its alot easier making them smaller and keeping everything in proportion than it is to do the opposite.

ToddFarmsInc":2t5x7osb said:

Hey Todd,
I am not Knersie, however I will inject my experience here and see what he says later when he comes back. I had some long legged cows and bred them to a short cannonboned bull, the result............

The calves are short boned!!! Does that say it is always the bull???? :?:

EDIT..Oh shucks he beat me to it.

Latest posts