can you explain why you raise the cattle you do?

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":14u4icn5 said:
cow pollinater":14u4icn5 said:
Caustic Burno":14u4icn5 said:
The problem from day one it was based on color. .
That's a problem NOW... I don't think that it was from the start. If you look at across breed EPD's angus has been and still is the leader for marbling among the most prevelant breeds. A well marbled steak from any breed will absolutely top an average angus any day of the week but for the blind consumer who is buying blind and wants a marbled steak, the best bet is to ask for angus. On average it will be better marbled.

The problem with that is there is not enough Angus in the country to supply what is being sold as CAB.
This proves the consumer doesn't know cow shyt from wild honey they are buying into a fraud.
CAB stands for Certified Angus Beef that's hard to do when most of it aint Angus.

That's why it started as a hide color... Black most likely meant obvious angus influence. At the time that meant better(and still does but the margin is much more slim). Now it's a marketing tool but still an effective one... Look at all the breeds scrambling to improve carcass traits. CAB might not stand for angus anymore but it does show that someone cared enough to change to meet market demand and that should mean a better carcass.

CAB is one lawsuit away from crumbling like a house of cards. That hurt's all cattle raiser's and make's it look like we adhere to deceptive practice's. The right consumer group start pulling beef out of grocier counters under the CAB sign that say's Certified Angus Beef and dna testing. That is when the crap is going to hit the fan. We are already viewed as evil by certain groups.

Caustic Burno":5d5t1fb9 said:
CAB is one lawsuit away from crumbling like a house of cards. That hurt's all cattle raiser's and make's it look like we adhere to deceptive practice's. The right consumer group start pulling beef out of grocier counters under the CAB sign that say's Certified Angus Beef and dna testing. That is when the crap is going to hit the fan. We are already viewed as evil by certain groups.

I argued this same thing a few years ago with a certain Angus breeder that no longer posts here. Yes, the whole CAB thing is perfectly legal, even if there's little or no Angus blood in it, but I could see it turning into a PR nightmare. All it takes is an enterprising young reporter and a slow news day and things could get out of hand real quick. I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

VanC":2yaecsle said:
Caustic Burno":2yaecsle said:

I argued this same thing a few years ago with a certain Angus breeder that no longer posts here. Yes, the whole CAB thing is perfectly legal, even if there's little or no Angus blood in it, but I could see it turning into a PR nightmare. All it takes is an enterprising young reporter and a slow news day and things could get out of hand real quick. I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

Van if I were an Angus seedstock producer I would be raising He!! with the association to make CAB Angus beef.
You are dead on about a slow day and you might not be able to give the breed away and that would be a shame.
There are three essential breeds IMO Angus, Brahman and Hereford, the Angus people have done their best to destroy the Brahman, they may end up having to take their medicine.

This thread sheds some light on my junk cattle thread.
Some of the reasons I read for not liking Angus cattle are just grasping for a reason to not like them because you are just hammerheaded.
The consumer buys CAB because it will be a quality marbled steak either prime or choice. They don't care if it's Angus they just want a quality cut of meat.
It's not so much about Angus but the standards for CAB that teh consumer is buying.
As far as the Brahman cattle go they too can qualify for CAB if they are 50% Angus and will grade prime or choice, but thats the problem with the Brahman cattle.

This thread makes me wonder if "CAB" really means anything, except some percentage of Angus, which the Angus people have done a mighty fine job of promoting -- and I say that seriously, not tongue-in-cheek. Some months ago, somebody gave a long explanation about what requirements had to be met for CAB.

SANDTRAP":2phw5f3w said:
This thread sheds some light on my junk cattle thread.
Some of the reasons I read for not liking Angus cattle are just grasping for a reason to not like them because you are just hammerheaded.
The consumer buys CAB because it will be a quality marbled steak either prime or choice. They don't care if it's Angus they just want a quality cut of meat.
It's not so much about Angus but the standards for CAB that teh consumer is buying.
As far as the Brahman cattle go they too can qualify for CAB if they are 50% Angus and will grade prime or choice, but thats the problem with the Brahman cattle.

The point is not it's quality steak it is being marketed as something it's not.
You and I along with 99% Americans couldn't tell the difference in Angus, Brimmer or Water Buffalo.
Typical Angus breeder arrogance if it aint Angus it's junk.
You are not protecting the breed defending a fraud.

So we all know what the CAB is and isnt, so why all the back and forth? Either accept what it is or try to change it.

And honestly, the reason why i say that is bc im confused. I cant tell who is supporting the angus & cab and who is against it. Lol

Well, me personally, I have nothing to do with the CAB program. Its a part of our breed. But not a part that I deal with. I try to raise quality cattle that gain on pasture, breed back quick, low bw with a high growth curve to yearling and overall good looking cattle. For replacement heifers and bulls. Thats my focus. I dont really worry about what the CAB is doing.

Anguscattle":1gia8rbs said:
And honestly, the reason why i say that is bc im confused. I cant tell who is supporting the angus & cab and who is against it. Lol
Anguscattle -- No argument with you, I don't take any side. But I think a lot of folks really don't know about CAB -- they get caught up in the hype, and they get wrapped up in it when they are trying to figure out what to do in start-ups or improvements. I thought, until recently, that CAB was all about purebred Angus. Well, obviously, it isn't. But I think the meat-buying public believes that. And that's thanks to the great advertising by the Angus breeders. Like I said, the registry has done a great marketing job -- hats off to them. But it's not a true picture about what the average American is buying -- they are NOT buying purebred or even high percentage Angus. Just carcass qualities.

I think its been a win for everybody so far. The price is up across the board no matter the breed. And the consumer is getting a better product. Also beef export is on the rise. I say let the good times roll.

Kathie in Thorp":2xbu8erv said:
Anguscattle":2xbu8erv said:
Anguscattle -- No argument with you, I don't take any side. But I think a lot of folks really don't know about CAB -- they get caught up in the hype, and they get wrapped up in it when they are trying to figure out what to do in start-ups or improvements. I thought, until recently, that CAB was all about purebred Angus. Well, obviously, it isn't. But I think the meat-buying public believes that. And that's thanks to the great advertising by the Angus breeders. Like I said, the registry has done a great marketing job -- hats off to them. But it's not a true picture about what the average American is buying -- they are NOT buying purebred or even high percentage Angus. Just carcass qualities.

Just speculation on my part but I think the packers are for CAB because of the carcass quality and have made no secrect of their losses with poor carcasses.
The consumer couldn't care less if it was Angus or purebred or even know what that is, they are just wanting quality.
The standards for CAB almost gurantees quality,

Sandtrap, I think the CAB standards also point to quality . . . but if it's not ANGUS, then that's sort of a deceit to the public when it's sold as "Certified Angus Beef," and harder on other producers in the market. Looking at the regs, I could sell my white cattle as CAB, if they met carcass quality (and I have no doubt that they would -- but we don't sell to packers).

JMO.

Kathie in Thorp":3ingznak said:
Sandtrap, I think the CAB standards also point to quality . . . but if it's not ANGUS, then that's sort of a deceit to the public when it's sold as "Certified Angus Beef," and harder on other producers in the market. Looking at the regs, I could sell my white cattle as CAB, if they met carcass quality (and I have no doubt that they would -- but we don't sell to packers).

JMO.

Certified Angus Beef" evaluation if they are at least 51% black and exhibit Angus influence, which include black Simmental cattle and crossbreds However, they must meet all 10 of the following criteria, which were refined in January 2007 to further enhance product consistency, to be labeled "Certified Angus Beef" by USDA Graders:[18]
■Modest or higher degree of marbling
■Medium or fine marbling texture
■"A" maturity
■10 to 16 square-inch ribeye area
■Less than 1,000-pound hot carcass weight
■Less than 1-inch fat thickness
■Moderately thick or thicker muscling
■No hump on the neck exceeding 5 cm (2")
■Practically free of capillary rupture
■No dark cutting characteristics

Other than other breeds going black, i dont see how the CAB hurts other cattle breeds. Yeah, you cant pass CAB if you dont meet color requirements, but if your cattle are of good quality, they still have a very good market. Just not with the CAB. i guess yall are talking about docking for color at sales? My question is, do you blame AAA for marketing their breed, or do you blame your breed for not marketing good enough?
Everyone knows hereford was the standard back in the day, until angus tore it up with marketing, hereford breed decided not to market their cattle as much. Now angus is the standard. When another breed decides to outmarket angus, they will be the standard. Its business. Raising cattle is a business. And like any good salesman the angus has pitched their product.
Yes, i agree that it may be a tad of deceit since they arent all angus cattle, but its quality of beef too. And AAA does have programs that do require progeny from at least registered sires. The prices of cattle are so high right now, i dont see what everyone is complaining about. EVERYONE is getting good prices! Enjoy it! We all serve consumers one way or another. Therefore i think we all share a common goal. Provide people with good quality beef, and make a little money doing it, regardless of breed or programs.

Latest posts