Can using different breeds of bulls cause problems?

Help Support CattleToday:

:nod:
Backbone Ranch":39ct8q5o said:
tistis":39ct8q5o said:
I like two a nice Balancer bull on some of them Murray Grey cows ..
I found a picture of some Balancer x Murray Grey steers.
1376535487_2012-11-24_18.13.47__balancer_x_m_grey.jpg
:nod:

Let me ask this question to y'all since we are on the topic about Mongrel bulls. What do y'all think of a bull that is Half Jersey and Half the beef breed of your choice? Preferably Angus so to breed to heifers. That would make his calves 1/4 Jersey....would that be a good combination to keep replacement heifers out of or would it be better to only have 1/8 jersey for replacements? Every cow I've seen that has a little jersey in them are great mommas and produce a lot of milk. Its just a thought I've had for a while and thinking maybe years down the line to possibly make a project out of it to see how it would go. Just wanting yalls opinion on the matter.

Big Cheese":20jgik9x said:
Let me ask this question to y'all since we are on the topic about Mongrel bulls. What do y'all think of a bull that is Half Jersey and Half the beef breed of your choice? Preferably Angus so to breed to heifers. That would make his calves 1/4 Jersey....would that be a good combination to keep replacement heifers out of or would it be better to only have 1/8 jersey for replacements? Every cow I've seen that has a little jersey in them are great mommas and produce a lot of milk. Its just a thought I've had for a while and thinking maybe years down the line to possibly make a project out of it to see how it would go. Just wanting yalls opinion on the matter.
Most beef guys are afraid of having dairy influence in a bull mostly due to too much milk or temperament. If you were able to find a jerseyXangus bull I'd imagine he'd be pretty cheap, but once you are done with him he's going to the processor.

Most folks, even backyard breeders did not trust any jersey bulls, pure or not because of their unpredictable temperament. Many jersey bulls are used as heifer bull but they are usually yearlings and when they are done with breeding, they are slaughtered or sold at the sale barn before their second birthday.

the corn guys figured out 50 years ago that you don't use double cross hybrids as parent stock (because they fail to replicate themselves) yet the cattle folks are so resistant to accept the fact. use purebred bulls on crossbred cows to produce terminal calves. Use purebred bulls on purebred cows of another breed to produce replacement f1's. It is very simple.

Like I said this is just a project I would like to try out and see about one day down the road. I just know that the few cows that we have that look like they have a little jersey in them are our best mommas and raise the biggest calves. I know its not a route people take but it just feels like it could be a good process for some good replacement cows. Would y'all think 1/4 or 1/8 jersey in your cow would be a good amount? or less then that? I'm leaning more towards 1/8 that way the Jersey influence wouldn't show much in the calves. Like I said its just a thought...there's no reason to bash me.

Big Cheese":3pgwrquj said:
Like I said this is just a project I would like to try out and see about one day down the road. I just know that the few cows that we have that look like they have a little jersey in them are our best mommas and raise the biggest calves. I know its not a route people take but it just feels like it could be a good process for some good replacement cows. Would y'all think 1/4 or 1/8 jersey in your cow would be a good amount? or less then that? I'm leaning more towards 1/8 that way the Jersey influence wouldn't show much in the calves. Like I said its just a thought...there's no reason to bash me.
Nobody is bashing you for have thoughts about jersey bulls. It is just the jersey bulls are dangerous and there is a reason why most folks prefer jersey cows over jersey bulls when it comes to crossbreeding.

More milk means it takes more to maintain the cow. Balance across the board will make the best cow most of the time. Easier to maintain the balance when you know what's in the mix.

bulldurham":3h68l03k said:
the corn guys figured out 50 years ago that you don't use double cross hybrids as parent stock (because they fail to replicate themselves) yet the cattle folks are so resistant to accept the fact. use purebred bulls on crossbred cows to produce terminal calves. Use purebred bulls on purebred cows of another breed to produce replacement f1's. It is very simple.

Some folks don't like simple. KISS

Latest posts