calving signs

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

dun

Reaction score
I don;t watch the cows constantly enough to be a turd evaluator.

First sign here if I see it is two little hoofs sticking out. Most of the time its Belle had a bull or a heifer.
I am not going to watch them. It is the cows job to deliver unasisted, if I have to assist, I consider her a problem cow. I don't retain problems, I believe in ruthless culling, it cost less to maintain a good cow than a problem.

You assumed right. I do not watch for calving issues. I might have a pasture full of them this morning, I haven't had issues in a long time. I do have a full box of 44 specials. I had a breech a year or two ago put the cow down.

Good theory but you need to go roll out of the other side of the bed. :roll: :roll: :drink:

I wore out a set of chains in the 70's and said there has to be a better way.
There was better cows and C/E bulls to match the cows.
If I find a cow when I am out working that needs assistance I will assit, but she just bought a ticket out of here.
Ruthless culling of the herd is 1 rule here.

whatsupdoc3":30a075hu said:
Calving season is here for a lot of folks. Recently read what some people watch for when watching the cow that is due.

Here is what i consider the number one sign. We keep our cows that are due in a confined area and check them regularly if they go past term. Every cow I have ever watched calf this is a sign I have learned to bank on. Most cows poop right after they stand up some while laying down. When one sees the cow release little bitty releases of poop the calf is just hours away. I call them golf ball size poop balls.

Been watching a cow every 4 hours for several days that was past due. Well yesterday morning i get up and check on the old gal and sure enough she gets up poops and its the little bity doody balls. Not a continuous pile of poop. Well I go back in tell the wife that the cow is fixing to calve and sure enough 12 pm we have a water bag. 2 hours later a calf is out and up and nursing. The calf is entering the birth canal and putting pressure on the bowels. I have watched this time and time again and in my book its a sure sign delivery is just hours away.

Anybody else ever use this as a sign when watching the cow?

Number one sign I dont trust. Some cows drop their milk days prior to calving while others drop their milk during the calving process. So a tight or full bag makes no difference to me as a sign.

The poop balls is a trusty sign in my book.
I assure you there are plenty of other signs that a cow is getting ready to calve long before the miniature poop balls. Secondly if you are that close you are doing nothing but making the cow uneasy which may in fact cause the cow to prolong delivery. I can usually tell the day before, and surely a few hours before. Once they start I leave them alone. After a few hours I check them. Take action or not as the case may be. Overzealous help that they usually do not need will cause more problems than they will ever cure. If you must watch get a pair of binoculars.

Another point I would like to make is that a confined area is great. I realize that in the north, Canada and other areas where the temp drops way down, calving must be done in protected areas. Regardless of where they calve it should be clean. Nothing erks me more than people penning up cows to calve in a lot with concentrated who knows what, feces piled for years, thinking they are doing something good. I prefer a calving pasture where newborn calves cannot get in trouble. This is something I learned long ago but did not practice until recently due to a bad experience.

This has been my experience but I am by no means an expert. If I see the vulva turning to jello and I see the teats turning out as though they are under pressure, I know she is going to calve shortly. Haven't noticed the poop thing but I'll take notice. I think that 99% of all births can go unassisted if you have chosen your bull properly. Given the same bulls, I found that my live calving rate is much much higher if I just leave them alone to calve without any interference whatsoever. Will I pull a calf? Most certainly but I'm not going to go hunting one to pull and I haven't pulled one in five years. I did have one big problem with one cow a couple of years ago and the vet suggested doing a $600 C-section on it to get the calf (probably dead) out. Buzzards had a feast.

As far as watching the manure balls I don't think that would be reliable. I calve most of my cows on ryegrass and their manure is quite loose. I go for visual observations. The cow fixing to calve will generally be off to themselves,finding a undisturbed spot to calve,swollen vulva,sometimes nervousness. I'm afraid the "poop theory" is pure bull.

Well, I like you watch my cows closely. My ladies can do their jobs but if there is a problem I don't want to chance losing a calf or even worse a cow. Of course it is usually pretty cold calving here too. Had one born when it was -55 C windchill (-67F). From the time I first saw the cow standing alone with nothing showing to when the calf was up it was 15 minutes. You don't get a cow doing her job better than that and I still had to grab the calf and take him to the house because his nose was getting frost bite. On the nice days I still watch though I figure I have nothing better to do than make sure a calf is alive to get a cheque for.
The majority of our cows don't care if I am there, they don't get nervous at all.
As far as the golf ball poops, I'll have to watch for it. I've always watched for other signs but I'm open to any new ideas. :)

PS - None of my business and I tend to stay out of these things but dun's advice has helped a lot of people.

whatsupdoc3":25yfkbdr said:
Re: calving signs
by dun on Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:15 am

I don;t watch the cows constantly enough to be a turd evaluator.

Well first and foremost the calf is the paycheck for the investment of the cow and all other exspenses. So i dont cotton to watching a paycheck lay there and die .

The sign I posted is not one i would expect anyone that sets at a computer night and day and posts continuously on most cattle forums to observe. Being as its something one must observe outside the house.

I would think even at your age you could learn a little bit about DUNg since you are able to type so much and some of it often is a pile of dung.

But what the hay if some people cant post it first and maintain their mentor status. The enfo is worthless only in their mind is that true oh wise one. Even you can learn form whats posted. Lets say it this way the only info thats worthy dont spue from your keyboard only or because you are the first to answer on a lot of threads! There are others that know a few things. :tiphat:

Dad always had a saying some people who talked alot did not know -hit from shineola! Something about they were to busy babbling to learn or their opinions were all that they thought counted. :dunce:

Perhaps you should rethink your thoughts about this. You are speaking of one of the most knowledgeable and helpful people that I have ever seen on a board. My dad also had a saying that you had 2 ears and one mouth so you should listen twice as much as you talk......

Just my 2 cents worth.

~

Here is what i consider the number one sign. We keep our cows that are due in a confined area and check them regularly if they go past term. Every cow I have ever watched calf this is a sign I have learned to bank on. Most cows poop right after they stand up some while laying down. When one sees the cow release little bitty releases of poop the calf is just hours away. I call them golf ball size poop balls.

Very Good observation, and I agree.

Have seen it and set my scheduale around a few of the cows so I am close by.

Additionally, most of our adult cows start walking the fence line because they want to go into the woods. Thats about 1 hour-30 minutes before they pop out the calf.

* whatsupdoc3, you have the ability to post some decent info, but please eliminate your constant derogatoy comments to other members.
These forums are suppose to be similar to us all sitting in a room, around an old potbellied wood stove, having a discussion. Unfortunatly, its impossible to detect sense of humor, wise cracks and aside comments in these email message boards. Do NOT take every reply as a personal attack. The mentors and members here enjoy information and comments. It's suppose to be fun, educational and family style. Please keep that in mind, and if you feel yourself getting angry please go burn it off elsewheres in a positive manner.

Respectfully,

I was taught to watch the for the vulva before they dominoed, easiest and best way and what the teats fill up with milk. I doubt most people have the time or desire to watch poop droppings and doesnt work as well if you have a large herd. But interesting observation all the same.

CowCop":2x25hspn said:
~

Very Good observation, and I agree.

Have seen it and set my scheduale around a few of the cows so I am close by.

Additionally, most of our adult cows start walking the fence line because they want to go into the woods. Thats about 1 hour-30 minutes before they pop out the calf.

* whatsupdoc3, you have the ability to post some decent info, but please eliminate your constant derogatoy comments to other members.
These forums are suppose to be similar to us all sitting in a room, around an old potbellied wood stove, having a discussion. Unfortunatly, its impossible to detect sense of humor, wise cracks and aside comments in these email message boards. Do NOT take every reply as a personal attack. The mentors and members here enjoy information and comments. It's suppose to be fun, educational and family style. Please keep that in mind, and if you feel yourself getting angry please go burn it off elsewheres in a positive manner.

Respectfully,

I felt his derogatory comments were justified. He was called an ANAList. Or Turd inspecctor.

Whatsupdoc, I watch my cows closely; not because I have to, but because it makes good sense if one's herd size permits it and besides I enjoy it. I'm living my life long dream now that I'm retired from my day job. You can find me with the cows alot. I will take your suggestion as something to observe and see if it works for me. Who knows I may become a "card carrying" turd inspector. :lol:

BTW, I think you pegged Dun's intent wrong. I'm not a prolific poster; having said that I have found Dun to be respectful. Think he was having a little fun.

Cowdirt":3omozib1 said:
Whatsupdoc, I watch my cows closely; not because I have to, but because it makes good sense if one's herd size permits it and besides I enjoy it. I'm living my life long dream now that I'm retired from my day job. You can find me with the cows alot. I will take your suggestion as something to observe and see if it works for me. Who knows I may become a "card carrying" turd inspector. :lol:

BTW, I think you pegged Dun's intent wrong. I'm not a prolific poster; having said that I have found Dun to be respectful. Think he was having a little fun.

I for one appreciate the info and I will try my best to keep it mind when needed. I'm not sure how Dun meant his post but it didn't seem to be very respectful the way I read it and took it so I prolly would have replied the same way. You just can't tell sometimes when someone is joking around.

Whatsupdoc----There are alot of a--holes on this site...Alot of grumpy old men also---But in the nearly 10 years I have been coming and going, Dun is usually right on in his advice---I think you were a little thin skin over his statement...Did you notice he did not exchanged words with you..I am sure he jested, will you meaning no ill..Prehaps you over reactied a little..

Even if Dun was poking a little fun, you jumped way over board on your response. I have never read anything on here that led me to believe that Dun gives anything but straight simple advice and I have never seen him pick a fight. Loosen up. :???: :roll: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2:

whatsupdoc3":163zg1x6 said:
http://www.brownie points.com

alftn

Why no inter action "some people are lucky to say it one time with a mouth full ! " You have no idea how I reacted. No more than you can summize what or why dun said.

You sure get mad easy calm down and try this next time 321 123 what the heck is bothering me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts