calving signs

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fred":1bnfbxrp said:
As far as watching the manure balls I don't think that would be reliable. I calve most of my cows on ryegrass and their manure is quite loose.

Look for little squirts on the fence posts and trees. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some of mine start springing and the calf comes. Others start springing and the calf is off on vacation or something.

Once she starts to spring, I watch the bag. Then I watch the teats.

Most of the time it is just a SWAG. When she starts hanging in the brush or off by herself, it is time.

Whatsupdoc3
Interesting observation on the poop balls. What time of year and what type of grass is involved. If its spring and the rye grass is going strong then I would expect green squirts instead of balls. Solid poop usually indicates they are not getting enough protein. I posted a poop study on here a couple years back that will tell you how to analyze it. You can look it up if your interested.

BTW - Even if Dun was being sarcastic, it was minimal compared to your response. Kinda of the pot calling the kettle black since anyone could wonder if your sarcastic replies are also meant to get your post counts up.

Yesterday I had my first chance to look for "golf balls". I had two heifers calve. Heifer A I found just before the water broke, looked at the ground behind her and sure enough golf balls were laying there. How long before the water breaking they got there I don't know. Heifer B I saw acting a little odd for her, not in her regular morning sleeping spot so I watched her for the day. She had her calf at 3:00 PM approx. I saw her poop at 1:00 is (give or take half an hour) and it was a long steady stream. At that time she was pacing with her tail up, a sure sign of calving. Both of these animals live together in the same area and eat the same food.
I am going to continue watching for this. If I see the golf ball poops then it will be a good sign that something will happen but if I don't see them I am not going to assume nothing is happening. ;-)
Thanks for the post whatsupdoc. I like reading people's observations and seeing how they work in my own herd.

I guess it goes without saying that if a heifer lays down, gets up, and lays down again about every five minutes, she's going into labor.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones here. Haven't pulled a calf in years. (course it might happen next week). Good mineral, low b/w bulls and good strong cows help. My cows average 1400 lbs. so I expect them to have no problems with a 60 lb. calf. We watch lst calf heifers more closely than the mature cows but so far no problems. Maybe it is just a freak thing but I'm with CB. If she can't calve on her own she's history. If somebody else wants her she can be their problem.

Whatupdoc..We have been fighting other peoples battles for a long time, Guess why they call us the Vol. state.....
As for you (YOU SOUND PRETTY SILLY) and Dun is still my Hero...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts