Calving 2024

Help Support CattleToday:

Holy smokes!
They both look blue too.
How is mama doing? Does she love them both?
Congratulations!
Unfortunately both were already deceased at the assistance time. The first calf's bad possition is what probably caused both calves death. It just took us too long to realize that something was wrong and cow needs help asap. Placenta was already detached as well, so she might have been in labor since daytime, but she just seemed to be preparing and feeling uncomfy.
92,5 and 99lbs weights.

Unfortunately both were already deceased at the assistance time. The first calf's bad possition is what probably caused both calves death. It just took us too long to realize that something was wrong and cow needs help asap. Placenta was already detached as well, so she might have been in labor since daytime, but she just seemed to be preparing and feeling uncomfy.
92,5 and 99lbs weights.
Sorry... There aren't many things I use the word "hate" for, but I hate twins.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everybody! 🎄
Stilll no calf on the ground, but had another kind of newborn born yesterday. The first lamb sired by our new pure Texel ram.
View attachment 38673

Ground conditions are horrible... Can't remember when it was so bad for so long. If it will continue this calving season will be a challange...
View attachment 38674
Dang you sure you're in Europe?
That looks like where I live. The damn freeze thaw we get almost everyday for 2 months or so keeps everything a muddy mucky mess!
I'm where Indiana meets ohio in the South corner. Could be a photo from around here, but right now we've been in the hardest freeze we have seen in years!
16 degrees Fahrenheit is our high today and it's been below 32 (freezing) for last 9 days

Have heard such saying that "misfortune comes in three". It sure did this time for us. After dead twins the old cow managed to lay down on her calf... That would make two misfortunes... However, there sure had to be the third one. Had a cow calving two days ago. Second calving for the cow, bluex charx, incalf to the twins sire. Not a hard assist overall, so the size wasn't an issue. Calf had full respiratory tract of mucus. Done everything we could think of, but she couldn't take a single breath. When her whole body relaxed mucus started flowing out of her nostrils... But there was no way to bring her back at that point. Another heifer calf, 284days gestation, approx 117lbs (cow's first calf was 119lbs).

This time cow got a new calf to raise.
20240126_123225.jpg

Have heard such saying that "misfortune comes in three". It sure did this time for us. After dead twins the old cow managed to lay down on her calf... That would make two misfortunes... However, there sure had to be the third one. Had a cow calving two days ago. Second calving for the cow, bluex charx, incalf to the twins sire. Not a hard assist overall, so the size wasn't an issue. Calf had full respiratory tract of mucus. Done everything we could think of, but she couldn't take a single breath. When her whole body relaxed mucus started flowing out of her nostrils... But there was no way to bring her back at that point. Another heifer calf, 284days gestation, approx 117lbs (cow's first calf was 119lbs).

This time cow got a new calf to raise.
View attachment 40070
Very interesting color pattern on this calf-or is it a skin?
Nevermind-had to look closer!

I know your calves are heavy but I will swing a calf that can't get a breath by its hind legs. About three revolutions and let them drop. Centrifugal force will clear a lot of the mucus and the drop seems to give the lungs a jar to start. We will use mouth to mouth too

Some just have no will to live though. The good part is no matter how hard we try, we can't kill them all!

Calving number 11 happened yesterday. Mature cow calving, 276 days gestation, incalf to piedmontese, proven calver, never had to assist, so thought that everything will go well this time. It was going well at first. Saw first bag, moved her to the shed and left her to settle down and do her business. Checked her once, saw the bag of the calf showing, left for 30min. She should have been calved down for her second check. However, what I found was far away from what I have expected or would have ever thought. Cow was laying down dead. Calf still inside, feet were just touching pelvis... Calf was dead as well.
For the general info of the calf: bull calf, 99lbs.
Next cows due on the 22nd and 23rd. That's going to be a stressfull season it seems...

Latest posts