Calving 2024

Help Support CattleToday:

lithuanian farmer

Reaction score
Once again a new thread 😄 No newborns at the moment. At least I think, as will need to do an evening check soon. It's going to be an interesting season. Some new bulls used, some new crosses tried.
Currently have three cows ready to pop any time. Limx in calf to lim at 286th day, pure lim incalf to lim at 284th day and limx incalf to charolais at 283rd day. All seem very close and not sure, which will pop first. Gonna to know real soon. Then will have five due around the first week of January.

One will be a very interesting case. She is due on 25th of January. She is a fairly big cow. And she looks huge 😅 So there are a couple options: twins ( or a whole litter), lots of fluids, or a half weaned calf.
20231223_103357.jpg

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everybody! 🎄
Stilll no calf on the ground, but had another kind of newborn born yesterday. The first lamb sired by our new pure Texel ram.
20231225_213326.jpg

Ground conditions are horrible... Can't remember when it was so bad for so long. If it will continue this calving season will be a challange...
20231225_142750.jpg

20231229_023009.jpg
20231229_015332.jpg
20231229_015359.jpg

Actually had two cows calving at the same time. Calves delivered around 1am.
One cow is 3/4lim, 1/4 dairy, almost 13 years old. Has a little simmental heifer, 283 days gestation.
Second cow is mainly lim, with abit of charolais and angus, and is out of the first cow's maternal sister. The third calf for her, 289 days gestation, charolais sired heifer.

Already put the third cow in. She should be finally letting her calf out at the day time hopefully. Incalf to lim, currently 292 days gestation. Should be a bull calf it seems.
20231229_020456.jpg

Love that blaze face calf!

Looking forward to seeing how many calves that wide load spits out. Shes a hippo for sure.

And still extremely excited about your new girls. Are they bred yet?

Fight the mud guys....
The alternative is MUCH worse. I promise.
Already have one heifer from the same bull. The one, which is 75% sim, has the same markings. The sire:
Screenshot_20230501-162259_Facebook.jpg

The sire of the Charolais heifer:
Screenshot_20230314-164822_Samsung Internet.jpg

Will start new heifers AI in March. They are abit too young for breeding now. Some will be abit too young then too, but I want them to calve in winter, so they will be getting abit more meal to keep them growing abit more.

View attachment 38771
View attachment 38772
The last newborn today 😅 Heifer calf as well. 292 days gestation, lim sired, out of limx cow. Unassisted. The sire:
View attachment 38773
Your bulls look so much better than the current trend in the United States that I'm a little embarrassed for us. I don't know what happened, but I think breeders here have been so concerned with low birth weights and calving ease that they forgot beef animals need to have some meat on them. And it seems like several generations of low birth weight/calving ease has made a lot of cows that are incapable of delivering a normal sized calf.

Your bulls look so much better than the current trend in the United States that I'm a little embarrassed for us. I don't know what happened, but I think breeders here have been so concerned with low birth weights and calving ease that they forgot beef animals need to have some meat on them. And it seems like several generations of low birth weight/calving ease has made a lot of cows that are incapable of delivering a normal sized calf.
All things in moderation. Extremes and/or overemphasis is never good, regardless of the intent.