2024 Calving

Help Support CattleToday:

First calf of the year. Heifer calf out of Oracle. Haven't weighed it yet but it looks small prob 65-70lbs. A second calf cow that moved up about 2 wks from last year. I'm always excited for calving season even when it seems to bring more work.
View attachment 40066
Not familiar with Oracle. Looks like she had it in a good spot. Well protected

Not familiar with Oracle. Looks like she had it in a good spot. Well protected
Yes she did have it in a good spot we are just so crazy wet there is no where dry for it to lay. Thankfully it is warm. This is my first calf out of Oracle. Here is a pic of him.

IMG_1763.jpeg
HILB ORACLE C033R

Calf #2 born today sometime.Baldie! Got home from work after dark and it was in some bad mud and couldn't get up. I thought he was gonners but put him in the barn and he got up so we decided to give try the bottle or tube him to get something in him. His nose was cold and he had a weak suckle on the fingers. Got a bottle of colostrum ready and he drank most of the bottle then went after mom. Got him started and he drank some from her too. He is a big boy though 110 lbs. bigger than I wish. It's the first calf out of our new bull. He is supposed to be moderate calving ease I guess we will see how the rest come. IMG_1809.jpeg

Heifer calf born on Sunday out of our herd bull and angus cow IMG_1820.jpegBorn yesterday Heifer calf out of TJ Main EventIMG_1816.jpeg
Born today. Another heifer calf out of a heifer that I purchased. We had to pull the calf, it was an easy pull but its tongue was all swollen by the time we found it. We tubed it with colostrum but it wasn't able to stand by itself yet. We will see what the morning brings. IMG_1817.jpeg

Calf #9 born on Monday. 80 lb heifer out of our herd bull. Didn't get a pic of it. It's our only cow that will kill you if you get too close to its calf. Of all our cows she had to have it in the gully where the calf got in a small wash and couldn't get out. The cow wouldn't let me close but didn't mind the dog sitting 3 ft from it 😡. Dad came and distracted the cow enough where I got a rope over its head and pulled it out. But I was steaming mad by the time we got it to safety.

Calf #9 born on Monday. 80 lb heifer out of our herd bull. Didn't get a pic of it. It's our only cow that will kill you if you get too close to its calf. Of all our cows she had to have it in the gully where the calf got in a small wash and couldn't get out. The cow wouldn't let me close but didn't mind the dog sitting 3 ft from it 😡. Dad came and distracted the cow enough where I got a rope over its head and pulled it out. But I was steaming mad by the time we got it to safety.
I had a calf fall in a culvert once. Had to lock the cow in the coral so I could get the poor thing out. It took me a couple attempts, I just couldn't get to the gate fast enough.

If broken and no broken skin they are easy to cast and usually heal well. The broken skin will complicate things and would have to remove cast to change bandages on skin which could rebreak the growth plate.