Calving 2017 has begun

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score

We had our first calf which turned out to be twins dang it. The calf was due on 9/15 out of a first calf heifer. The heifer is a SAV Blackcap May 1325 x SAV Piority the twins are sired by Charlo. We penned the heifer up she accepted both calves being the first we didn't have anything we could try to graph a calf to. I was a bit worried at three weeks early her milk coming in but she now has a beautiful bad and the calves seem to be doing great. I love it when a heifer turns out like this one!

Since she is having to do twice the work we are going to keep her penned with extra groceries to help her get the job done.

Gizmom

Nice cow and calves. It is always good to see a sucking calf/calves on a first calf heifer.

Seems when I have twins they are a little earlier than their due date. Good looking cow. You must be experienced with twins since you penned them up, I think it is always good to pen them until they get a few weeks old.

MRR
both bull calves so that is a plus, usually our luck with twins if they both survive one will be a bull and the other a heifer and then mamma doesn't want to take but one and of course the one she falls in love with will be the heifer. This is kinda nice she loves them both and they are both Bulls so far so good.

Post Oak
This is the third year using Charlo, we have 20 more coming I think it is safe to say we like him. So far we haven't had any bad attitudes, our first females out of him will be calving in the next few weeks. To me you really don't know if a bull works until his daughters start calving. We saw a good number of his daughters in the pasture at Coleman they had calves at side and were making very nice cows. Needless to say seeing them sure made me happy we had used the bull. We also saw SAV President, SAV Reign and SAV Rainmaster all sons of Charlo and they were all impressive.

Gizmom

Latest posts