Calves vs. coyotes

Help Support CattleToday:

Medic24

Reaction score
Ok folks.......here we are...........once again into the start of calving season, and we have about 67 newborns on the ground so far since the first of the month.........this year we are taking proactive prevention of easy pickins for our local pack of yotes..tell me if I am missing anything obvious.

We have in our main herd area the following:

2 donkeys
a small group of Llamas (worthless I think)
a Great Pyrenese who barks almost all night long.
Several Texas Longhorn cows.
Several Highlander cows with horns intact.

Reflective silver tape fluttering in the wind at certain spaced locations (worthless?)

Over a dozen traps and snares set up in pathways entering our pastures in corners etc.

Anything missing, or anything anyone wishes to add? :cboy: :?:

Number two ever heard of those popper propane guns that are set on a timer? I have never heard of using them for coyoty control but sometimes guys around here put them in the wheat fields to keep the geese and cranes shoed off.
Might be worth looking at if you could set it far enough away not to upset the cows .?

A couple of my horned herfs. Especially the broody ones with attitude.

When you see one of them actually catch and toss a 'yote - well, it is worth the sight. And yes it has happened.

Oh yeah, most folks do not want them horns.

Bez!

Bez!":1imhzyyz said:
A couple of my horned herfs. Especially the broody ones with attitude.

When you see one of them actually catch and toss a 'yote - well, it is worth the sight. And yes it has happened.

Oh yeah, most folks do not want them horns.

Bez!

I know if my dog jumps off the truck at feeding time the cows go plumb nuts on her!

Our cows don't seem botherd by coyotes. I've seen yotes laying in the pasture in close proximity to the cows and they pay them no mind. They jump up and move when we shoot at them...cause I always miss.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":2hmf6moq said:
The pyrenees is probably barking at the yotes. You could add a mini-14 .223 to your arsenal. Great gun! ;-) :cboy:
Probably one of the handiest guns ever made. Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle. Great for Dogs too. I cant count how many kills I've made with mine.

NCSU Maverick":2ioxtkqx said:
Our cows don't seem botherd by coyotes. I've seen yotes laying in the pasture in close proximity to the cows and they pay them no mind. They jump up and move when we shoot at them...cause I always miss.

If one is within eye ball sight line in this herd - then there will literally be a stampede. All adult cattle - all in the same direction - all in attack mode.

Quite impressive to see.

Rarely is a yote seen in the pasture.

Bez!

I don't know what the deal is with ours. I guess they just get used to seeing them. I wish they were more aggressive, it would be entertaining.

Have many of you actually had yotes kill a calf?

Bez!":cmtd28cx said:
NCSU Maverick":cmtd28cx said:

If one is within eye ball sight line in this herd - then there will literally be a stampede. All adult cattle - all in the same direction - all in attack mode.

Quite impressive to see.

Rarely is a yote seen in the pasture.

Bez!

I've seen ours respond to dogs in the pasture - maybe 1/4 of the bunch stay with the calves and the rest deal with the problem.

Well I can tell you a surefire way to put a dent in the yote population but I warn you it is not for the faint of heart. I have a friend that did this with devestating results. Buy some thin cable and the big trebble hooks. Tie the cable from a large tree limb so that the hook is dangling about chest high. Bait the hook with some raw venison. Coyote smells meat, jumps up to grab it a is hooked. He can't get off. It is exceptionally cruel but effective. Check the traps each morning and shoot the yote with a .22

I do not know if this is even legal. I would not have the stomach for it as I prefer clean kills with my ol 6mm.

I have tried this on a small scale and it worked. Collect your domestic Dog feces and place them around the perimeter of your Ranch. I would suggest a pile at each T Post. This is how Coyotes mark there territory in the wild. "They also use urine, but that would be hard to collect" It would take some time you pprobobly have thousands of T posts, but I believe it will be worth it. When I did this experiment I found the Coyotes would mark on the other side of the poop barrier. Kinda like OK, that side is yours and this side is ours. Now I will admit I conducted this experiment 10 yrs ago in an urban setting, but we did have a pack who would travel right behind our house. I made the territorial Fece line approx 100 yds from the house in the woods, and I deposited feces daily since I had a kennel w/ 10 Bird Dogs at the time. You might consider trying it. Anyway there ya have it.

NCSU Maverick":2wi6su6a said:
I don't know what the deal is with ours. I guess they just get used to seeing them. I wish they were more aggressive, it would be entertaining.

Have many of you actually had yotes kill a calf?

I have not,but my neighbor has lost newborn calf AND the cow to a pack of yotes in the past. :shock: :cboy:

HOSS":r7n2w112 said:
Well I can tell you a surefire way to put a dent in the yote population but I warn you it is not for the faint of heart. I have a friend that did this with devestating results. Buy some thin cable and the big trebble hooks. Tie the cable from a large tree limb so that the hook is dangling about chest high. Bait the hook with some raw venison. Coyote smells meat, jumps up to grab it a is hooked. He can't get off. It is exceptionally cruel but effective. Check the traps each morning and shoot the yote with a .22

I do not know if this is even legal. I would not have the stomach for it as I prefer clean kills with my ol 6mm.

Shhhhhh! don't let PETA hear you say that! ;-) :cboy: :shock:

HOSS":219fz33n said:

I'm no friend of coyotes, but that is just wrong! I have no doubt I'll catch flack for this, but so be it. No animal deserves to suffer like that when they are simply trying to survive like the rest of us. Whether you would use it or not is somewhat irrelevant at this point as there will undoubtedly be people who WILL use it now that they know about it. I get just as angry as anyone else when I discover a calf has been killed by a predator, but I will not resort to indiscriminate traps, baits or poisoning as a means of control.

well here is something an old farmer told not exactly the same maybe worth considering, he would go to the barber shop and collect fresh cut human hair ( mens, stronger scent) and spread it around his gardens, said that the deer couldn't stand it and always left his vegis alone but you had to keep putting out the hair once a week

buckaroo_bif":32of3x0z said:
Number two ever heard of those popper propane guns that are set on a timer? I have never heard of using them for coyoty control but sometimes guys around here put them in the wheat fields to keep the geese and cranes shoed off.
Might be worth looking at if you could set it far enough away not to upset the cows .?

They used to be called Zon guns, have no idea what they're called now. The Basques used them in the alfalfa fields when they ran sheep in the winter.

dun

The popular method that folks around here claim works is to hang a coyote carcass from a couple of fence posts on the edge of the pastures.

dun

Every time i see a coyote i haul ass on the fourwheeler and get as close to it as i can. not only does this scare the Ship High In Transit out of the coyote, but its quite entertaining for me as well.

Latest posts