Calves vs. coyotes

Help Support CattleToday:

22x250 and borry or buy a range finder, get you some of those marker flags you see all over the place and mark off your calving area just so you know the range.

Texas Ranch Man":1b9p19hn said:
I have tried this on a small scale and it worked. Collect your domestic Dog feces and place them around the perimeter of your Ranch. I would suggest a pile at each T Post. This is how Coyotes mark there territory in the wild. "They also use urine, but that would be hard to collect" It would take some time you pprobobly have thousands of T posts, but I believe it will be worth it. When I did this experiment I found the Coyotes would mark on the other side of the poop barrier. Kinda like OK, that side is yours and this side is ours. Now I will admit I conducted this experiment 10 yrs ago in an urban setting, but we did have a pack who would travel right behind our house. I made the territorial Fece line approx 100 yds from the house in the woods, and I deposited feces daily since I had a kennel w/ 10 Bird Dogs at the time. You might consider trying it. Anyway there ya have it.

Use donkey flop around the perimater.

okbob":2t1v9f97 said:
well here is something an old farmer told not exactly the same maybe worth considering, he would go to the barber shop and collect fresh cut human hair ( mens, stronger scent) and spread it around his gardens, said that the deer couldn't stand it and always left his vegis alone but you had to keep putting out the hair once a week

That works! The golf coarses around here do it.

The longhorns don't put a @ss kicken on the yotes? My donkeys and longhorns hate each other until a dog or yote gets in the pasture, then they join up and tag team the intruder.

I have come home to the bizzards circling in the sky...... (you get that oh....(flop) & sick feeling. ) Then you go out and find a dog that has been stomped to death by a donkey. I have some 2X4 wire fences, the dogs always seem to get in, but can't get out in a hurry.

It total amazes me how much cow flop can be spread people are ate up with cow killin coyote's grizzly bears, panthers from Africa, Sabre tooth tigers and somehow remain in business. Your friendly neighbors dog from 7 miles is the cause of 98% of the destuction. Around here if a problem arises of such nature a few nights with a Winchester Model 12 and No.1 buck problem is resloved. A screech owl and a duck call would run most of you out of the county after dark. Lets see I have Cat hounds we get lots of bobcats, can't seem to tree mountain lions and other large cats. Amazing in out west hunt the same cats and they will tree. Have a pack of Coyote hounds get some coyotes no timber wolves or the really scary bison wolf. As far as grizzlies Camp's Jack Russell has killed them all out in the southern states bad little dog.

We lost a calf last month to yotes. However, that was the first one in a long time. Most of the farms around us have a jack or a jenny some have several. I just don't want to go to the trouble unless it becomes more of a problem.

Never had a problem with a pure coyote. The cows could care less when they come in the pasture. We actually like them, they help keep the gopher and mouse population down. Our dogs (I have one, my mother has two) the cows could care less about. A neighbour's dog the cows hate though. They get chased out. The coy-dogs are what I don't like. They pack up and my husband goes out hunting them. The cows chase them out but there's always the chance of a cow wandering off to have a calf and being in labour when they attack. It's only happened to us once many years ago.
Why acreage people insist on keeping intact male German Shepards is beyond me. :mad:

Msscamp - I agree with you, anything that starts out exceptionally cruel I don't think should be done. I have to admit though we poison our mice. Had them in the trucks - building nests in the heating systems. Then my mother had one in her house and that was it the poison came out. Coyotes though are easier to shoot and so far we don't have thousands of them.

I hire a professional rifleman to do my yote hunting.

Rifleman.jpg

Hoss, your method is the most effective means of controling coyotes. Most people here in our area use that method because traps and snares are not working for them. Coyotes are very intelligent and hard to trap. I'm glad you brought it up. I knew that some one would say just what was said about that method.There is no limit or season on coyotes here. They are not one of our natural predators here. The story is that a transplant to Tennessee turned some lose here because he missed the cry of the coyote. This suposidly happened in the early 70's. Anyway they have pretty well eliminated quail and rabbits where You and I live. When you have enough injured and dead cattle you too will resort to what ever means of control necessary. I don't think its anymore cruel to snag coyotes than for coyotes to tear a calf to pieces. Yeah they are trying to survive, but so are we.

I was out one day working on the fence. I saw a yote come across an adjacent field and lay down out in the middle. There were cows/calves in the field and they didn't seem to care. I have had some folks stop by and ask if I mind if they shoot yotes out in my pasture. I tell them go right ahead but be sure of what is behind them. Well a guy came by I told him there was a yote out in the field, he ran home got his rifle and came back. He blasted away and of course missed.

I sometimes go out on the 4 wheeler at night and look around for yotes, hogs, and bob cats. I do this more often during calving season or when the hogs are really active.

msscamp":1uxt51ot said:
HOSS":1uxt51ot said:
Well I can tell you a surefire way to put a dent in the yote population but I warn you it is not for the faint of heart. I have a friend that did this with devestating results. Buy some thin cable and the big trebble hooks. Tie the cable from a large tree limb so that the hook is dangling about chest high. Bait the hook with some raw venison. Coyote smells meat, jumps up to grab it a is hooked. He can't get off. It is exceptionally cruel but effective. Check the traps each morning and shoot the yote with a .22

I do not know if this is even legal. I would not have the stomach for it as I prefer clean kills with my ol 6mm.

I'm no friend of coyotes, but that is just wrong! I have no doubt I'll catch flack for this, but so be it. No animal deserves to suffer like that when they are simply trying to survive like the rest of us. Whether you would use it or not is somewhat irrelevant at this point as there will undoubtedly be people who WILL use it now that they know about it. I get just as angry as anyone else when I discover a calf has been killed by a predator, but I will not resort to indiscriminate traps, baits or poisoning as a means of control.

No flack from me; I agree with you 100%. I'd rather find a more humane way to deal with it like a donkey or llama. However, if a coyote was gorging on a dead calf, I would shoot to kill. Down here, we really have no problems with yotes. (fingers crossed) Besides, the winters are so mild, they have plenty of other animals to go after without having to worry about a moma cow bearing down on them

I don't know if it's any more humane or not, but 5 years ago I had a place in another county, coyotes were running all over. I counted a pack of about 30 animals, led by a black alpha. They had already destroyed quail and rabbit and were starting in on calves. I called the game warden, who gave me a rabbit in distress tape.

A friend and I sat in the pasture, and killed 5 between us. It was quite a while before they returned, and when they did, we repeated with another 3 killed.

ctlbaron, my father shot and killed a coyote over in Wayne county back in 1967 or 68 I think. Nobody knew what it was for sure and most thought it was a wolf. My Dad took it to the local GW who was from Texas and identified it right away as a coyote. As far as the GW knew that was the first coyote sighting / kill in Tennessee for many, many years.

That sounds about right Hoss. It was a country music entertainer who brought them across into our neck of the woods. People sure were ready to skin him. I guess it was only a matter of time until they showed up anyway.

Coyotes moved East a long time before the event you are talking about as there were reports of Coyotes in NJ at the beginning of the 1900's.

Description - A grizzled grey or reddish-grey coat with buff underparts, long, rusty or yellowish legs and a bushy tail characterize the coyote. They have arresting, yellow eyes and prominent ears. Average weight is 20-40 pounds.

Distribution - The coyote was originally native only to the prairies and arid west but as settlers moved across the country, altering the landscape and doing away with wolves, a new niche was opened up to the coyote. They now thrive in the Western Hemisphere from the Pacific to Atlantic Oceans.

Biology - The coyote may pair for life and each year up to 19 young are born. Eating almost anything it can chew, coyote is a opportunistic and cunning hunter. Known to run up to 40 mph, they often combine efforts with 1 or 2 others when running their prey. The typical den is a wide mouthed tunnel, terminating in an enlarged nesting area. Predators once included the grizzly and black bears, mountain lions and wolves, but due to their declining populations these are no longer a threat. Since coyote pelts have become increasingly valuable, man is the major enemy.

Tracks - The coyote track closely resembles that of a dog or fox although the coyote tends to follow a straight path across open areas where the others will wander or follow aspects of the landscape. The print is a rough oval shape with four toes bearing claw prints. The larger front foot has a much larger pad than the smaller rear foot.

Well, I could be wrong,but it seems the very worst part of our problem with the yotes is the fact that they are here today, gone tomorrow, and perhaps the next two weeks.

So, trying to bait or lure them in with songs of a dying rabbit is a time consuming, and often futile chore.

Many of you remember the debate we had this time last year, regarding the yotes, and the seemingly differences in many aspects of the eastern vs. western coyotes.

And yes , I have not forgotten the three that I lost to yotes last year...............and some will remember the pics I had posted of the yotes attacking the calf as well for proof that it can and does happen.

It seems that this time of year, when they have eaten up much of the available small game, and hunting season is well over, so no deer kills remain, they are getting pretty darn hungry. Ironicly, calving season, seems to be in the time when they are most hungry. Thus the crox of the problem begins.

But I do appreciate all of the above advice, and will add much of it to our arensel of preventatives.

Hate those little boogers! :x :cboy:

PS: Up to 74 calves, 2 unrelated losses so far...suspect thats doing ok this year.

If game is scare as you say it is I am surprised that neighbors are not hollering about house cats, small dogs and fowl. Coyotes are opportunust and these are all easy targets they like to eat. I have yet to loose a calf to coyotes in my coyote pen 100 acres and that is where I calf my first time heifers.

I was talking to some experienced cattle men in our area tonight. They got to talking about running coyotes, some have dogs to run them. They said we have plenty of coyotes in our area, but all agreed that they have never had a problem with them attacking baby calves. One said if the calves are healthy and alive they will not bother them.

This thread got me concerned because I keep hearing a family of them yelping in my front field and that is where i have my heifers that have just calved.

Hoping it is as caustic said and maybe they have enough smaller prey in our area that they do not bother the calves.

Latest posts