Calves from limousine bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve":1be8d01i said:
Limi' don't seem to have calving issues. Loyalists claim they are lanky and easy to birth.
So far the few limi crossed calves have been very lanky. The guy I bought my limi bull said this is a real calving ease bull, but I didn't expect to see any 40-45lb calves.

This calve is out of a f1 braford, great momma cow. Calve is very hyper and a vigorous drinker. I think momma will have enough milk.

my vet says he has the red breeds all figured out....

Red angus will kick you in the legs

gelbveigh (sp?) will kick you in the chest

Limousine will kick over your head and then jump an eight foot fence....

pdfangus, What about Salers? they're good at both kicking and jumping too. I got a knock on the shin from my 1/2 SH 1/4 Saler cow 2 weeks ago and still feel it, and it wasn't a direct hit either.. it came out of nowhere, and she's never kicked before... I had fallen, I can't remember now if it was before or after the kick that I tripped perhaps? but I was darned quick back on my feet and gave her a boot back.

You remember the joke around here.. the vet goes to check on 3 cows in a pen... the Saler spooked and jumped out, the Angus got mad and broke the gate, and the Hereford prolapsed. That actually summed up my experiences with the 3 breeds pretty good. Never had a Gelbvieh take a shot at me, but since we've used them I've been around them more and all my replacements are halterbroke and attention whores.. pretty much nothing spooks them, so that goes a long way in preventing kicks!

Nesikep":1c4gzkg6 said:
pdfangus, What about Salers? they're good at both kicking and jumping too.
My experience with them has been that they are the very best of both fight and flight. Mine will run up and fight and then clear the back end of the corrals getting away. I do like that they are athletic enough that they don't tear things up to bad going over the fence.

I have had 10 limi cows, and several sets of cows out of them, they were all wild, one momma chased me onto my flatbed, the last one I got rid of I had to dart in the field, she refused to go into a pen or working facilities..I messed with her for months, they were also hard keepers, they would get very skinny during the winter. I went back to angus/gelbvieh cross..

We lost one leased pasture this past year so we had to mix out cattle out into the other pastures. It sure is easy to spot the Limi calves out of out all the angus calves. Leggy little things.

MikeBo, you should have seen that black witch of a cow we tried to ship off the indian reserve... That SOB would come at you from wherever you were, and had pointed little jersey style horns on her too... she got darted too.. with a .308... She had the owner stuck in the back of hay wagon for a half hour and he had time to think about what he was going to do with her!

The herd I got my limo bull from were all pretty docile, especially considering we were strangers.. Bull's mother figured 10 feet is a safe distance from us, but would just amble off and while chewing cud and wasn't alarmed by any means. Anyone have Limo / Gelbvieh calves?

have been around a lot of cattle but have never messed with any Salers....

bred some Scothch Highlands for a guy one year....Three or four foot harn span and whild not real wild...they would give you that "You talking to ME ?" look

we went thru all the work of synchronizing and breeding and turns out he had bought semen that was absolutely sterile....He blamed me naturally but there were a few straws left and I got my select sires rep to have them checked....then there was the lawsuit......not against me but the semen seller.....

Wow, glad you had a couple straws left to get them checked out, that would not have been fun, and I'm sure it wasn't for the semen seller

Latest posts