Calves from limousine bull

Help Support CattleToday:

jallen

Reaction score
I've had my first two calves out of my limousine bull--something I am noticing is their activity level vs the calves I've had previous. Granted I don't have but a dozen to compare to but these little buggers are all over the place. The one that is just over a week old spends more time running around and harassing the bull than she does sleeping. I've literally only caught that thing laying down a handful of times and this pasture is my front yard. The one that was born today is showing the same enthusiasm. The rascal was born around lunch today and the thing has Brel walking all over the place and at times chasing the other calf. Way more energy and coordination that what I've been used to at this point. They are very aggressive feeders as well--they don't play around that's for sure.

Is vigor (I guess that is the appropriate word) common in limousine lines?

I guess I have things to look forward to next year :) We have a 2 year old Limo bull (a blonde one) who'll be doing the work around here this year. Of the bunch I saw at the ranch where we got him, he certainly had the most "presence" when you looked at him.. He's going to be a big framed guy, and I hope his calves aren't all frame 8's, but he's got good meat to him too. This guy had a 100 lb birthweight, which is no problem for me, but I'm wondering also if contracted tendons seem to be a bit of a Gelbvieh thing...

Could be genetics, or it could be your program for your females. Did you change minerals or feed this time? Do you see a difference in the birth weights this year from previous years?

Limousine cross calves are usually very vigourous, the only exception I can think of is if they are too big at birth, that will slow them down some.
Also, hybrid vigour comes out to play, your cows are other breeds than the bull, making the calves stronger.

The limi calves have lots of energy....more than other breeds that I've had....

I had a limousine calf once that had so much energy, when I found it and walked up to tag it, it took off like a deer, outran me, outran the cow, cheese gratered itself through some high tensile, went over an embankment, across a road, into a thicket, and I never saw it again. They are vigorous when you get them crowded up in a sorting pen, too.

I have never raised Limousines. But Brangus can be like that also, depending on the line. Sounds like you may need to gentle them down early. :D

Seems to me you made the problem worse by chasing the calf. Most will run if you chase them. Had a bull once that his calves would jump up ram you and run. In a couple of weeks you couldn't knock them out of the way.

No chasing on my part, I just stepped out of the truck. Was like jumping a rabbit out of a briar patch. I guess his mama was scary. Had another almost do the same thing but luckily he ran toward woven wire. Still wet. Something different about the flight response. They must have had claustrophobia too, because I had calves that would walk up and lick the 4-wheeler, sniff your hand, get a back scratch here and there, you could get them in a pen and they would go berserk, bellowing and ramming the gate, raising a dust cloud from running back and forth. Maybe it was the Hereford cows they were out of that made them act like that, or maybe that was a really bad line of Limo, I don't know. They were no fun to have around in the long run. Looked really nice and grew good, though. All of them couldn't be like that, or nobody would have them.

Our limo bull is really docile, doesn't get excited about anything (lets hope a cow in heat will do *something* to him though). When we brought him home in a 2 horse trailer, the floor was a bit slick and he either fell, or he laid down, but either way, he looked pretty comfy in there when we got home, and he just gently got up, and wandered into the corral.

To answer your question, yes they are known for high vigor.
I've seen Limo cross calves still hanging half out of the cow and trying to get a teat, now that's vigor!

I bought a limo calf in the early 80s to show at our county fair, and he was more deer than anything. Cleared...and I mean CLEARED our cow pen fences on Day 2 when I was going to try to put a halter on him. He ran about a mile down the road, and I was fortunate enough to catch up to him before he got to the railroad tracks by riding my bicycle and cutting him off. How I have no idea, but I did eventually get him back into the pens with some neighbors' help...and he had BY FAR the worst attitude of any calf I have ever laid my eyes upon. He looked amazing though would literally kick your teeth out if you touched him anywhere. That being said, to make a long story short...after a TON of work, this calf won a very tough class, won showmanship, and won grooming. At auction, he brought more than the grand champion. Would I have another like him? oh HECK NO..! LOL

That's one war story of a Limo calf purchased, not raised. I have way more positive stories to tell about calves we raised (not bought) from our own limo bulls and females over the past 35 years. As farm as vigor goes, I would say they are about normal, and if the cow didn't raise a vigorous calf, the momma probably didn't stay too long, as we did cull the limos fairly hard for vigor, hardiness, and attitude.

Calf wouldn't have went back to 747 would it? Seen some real fancy foot work come out of the 747 bull. Also seen some dam good cows from him to.

Red Bull Breeder":2a7nhsc3 said:
Seems to me you made the problem worse by chasing the calf. Most will run if you chase them. Had a bull once that his calves would jump up ram you and run. In a couple of weeks you couldn't knock them out of the way.
The ones I've been around have always been that way. And grow like crazy !!!!

I had twelve limi calves this year out of tow truck born to first calf heifers. I promised a customer that I would give limis a try(a second try with known genetics) and I did. They shipped early alongside the rest of my calves due to the drought but I liked what I saw... especially when I take into consideration that tow truck is not a big time growth bull and they were all on first calvers. None of the calves were standouts but they fit right in with the angus calves and out of twelve lim sired calves I shipped twelve calves and I didn't have to help any of them anywhere along the way. :nod: I liked that a lot.
Disposition wise, with tow truck at a 27, I would not hesitate to go down to single digit dispostions in future breedings. Those calves were as quiet as anything else by weaning time. I do think that I would have lost two of them if they had not been so determined to live as the heifers didn't help them much but they just stuck with it until they got it and grew without much help.
I can't say that I'll keep using limousin genetics but I like what I saw this time around much better than what I've seen in the past.

Limi' don't seem to have calving issues. Loyalists claim they are lanky and easy to birth.
Some of the F1 calves are more nervous than a straight English. Not bad but different.
The F1 calves will outgrow a straight angus. Ours were also more framey than English calves after weaning. I am not sure what the mature weight will be, but I would guess around 1400#.
I kept several of the easier fleshing BWF (herf x Limi) heifers, and the first one has calved. A great mother so far. She was bred angus and had a 68# bull calf.

Red Bull Breeder":odc1duz7 said:
Calf wouldn't have went back to 747 would it? Seen some real fancy foot work come out of the 747 bull. Also seen some dam good cows from him to.

I seem to remember he was out of a bull called prime time and I think the cow was Hanchon bred. Forgive the spelling

Latest posts