Callicrate banded then cut?

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't. One of my vets advised against it when I first started banding. He said that increases the risk of tetanus. I know 3 vets that currently band. All say don't do anything to the bag. To let it fall off. We give Covexin 8 and never slit and have never had a case of tetanus. Talked to a breeder yesterday whose vet banded some older bulls for him and cut later and had a few cases of tetanus. IMO I see no reason to cut or slit the bag. I see no reason to take the risk for no gain.

Bandem an walk away do it when run them through chute much less hassle than dodgeing moma with a knife in hand

Named'em Tamed'em said:
I just banded an older bull calf (12 months) and was wondering if anyone bands then cuts a couple days later, rather than just let them dry up?
What would be the point? Either cut or band, why the extra work? If you give the tetanus toxoid and then a booster when you cut, no fuss no worries.

If your plan is to run him through the ring, the question would become how soon? The next month or so? Cut off everything about an inch below the band. Mid summer and beyond? Just let it dry up and fall off. Also if he has the longer hair at the vent like a bull I would cut that off before sending to the ring. Makes him look more like a steer than a late cut bull or a stag.

For what it's with, I banded 4 500-600 pounders at the end of January & it took almost 2 months for them to drop.

We have often banded and then cut it off about 2 weeks later if we wanted them to go through the ring in the spring. Want it to be drying up and cold to the touch. Follow Dave's suggestions. We always give tetanus when we band whether we are going to keep and let fall off, or are going to put a group together and sell in a few weeks.

Brute 23 said:
I hauled 3 bulls in the #700 to to the vet 5 or 6 weeks ago and he cut them for me. We did not give them any injections or medications of any kind. I saw hardly any blood at all and the bulls didnt even flinch.

Had they already been vaccinated for tetanus or did you just decide you would risk it?

sstterry said:
Brute 23 said:
I hauled 3 bulls in the #700 to to the vet 5 or 6 weeks ago and he cut them for me. We did not give them any injections or medications of any kind. I saw hardly any blood at all and the bulls didnt even flinch.

Had they already been vaccinated for tetanus or did you just decide you would risk it?

I asked the vet what he would do if they were his and that's what we did. He said the best thing I can do is just keep an eye on them. If there is an actual problem, we would address it then.

He and I are in agreement about not treating what hasn't happened yet for the most part. He always gives me the odds and the option though because he knows some of the cattle are not myne and I want to do what is in the owners' best interest.

Brute 23 said:
sstterry said:
Brute 23 said:

I asked the vet what he would do if they were his and that's what we did. He said the best thing I can do is just keep an eye on them. If there is an actual problem, we would address it then.

He and I are in agreement about not treating what hasn't happened yet for the most part. He always gives me the odds and the option though because he knows some of the cattle are not myne and I want to do what is in the owners' best interest.
I wasn't being critical, I was just curious.

I know some that don't give a tetanus either.... but have never had a vet not suggest giving it so that was a surprise to me to read that. I figure it is cheap insurance. He//, I just got my tetanus booster about 6 weeks before my ankle replacement surgery. I am around too much dirt and stuff with the animals to want to take the chance for myself. Been about 8-10 years since the last one.

i have had vets claim it is only common sense an some say its optional ,it lives in the soil but take the right conditions to have a problem as with most disease ,some vets look at it as extra expense if you never had the problem before and you have what appears clean conditions for the animal
warm damp muddy conditions excess manure build up will create the perfect environment
dont ask me how i know

i will add i have given some the vaccination an some not any thing i will have in close confinement i will give a shot this is why mine never see a barn if they are not sick . but just to band them well depends on time year and conditions
its kinda like flipping a coin .use your ! best judgment is my advice

out to pasture said:
i have had vets claim it is only common sense an some say its optional ,it lives in the soil but take the right conditions to have a problem as with most disease ,some vets look at it as extra expense if you never had the problem before and you have what appears clean conditions for the animal
warm damp muddy conditions excess manure build up will create the perfect environment
dont ask me how i know

I think Bigfoot said long ago if you don't vaccinate for tetnus you'll eventually lose one.
Very good advice. Either two rounds of covexin or the tetnus toxoid on cutting is my rule. I also am in the knife camp I've can't see any reason to band a calf. Even a big calf.

callmefence said:
out to pasture said:
dont ask me how i know

I think Bigfoot said long ago if you don't vaccinate for tetnus you'll eventually lose one.
Very good advice. Either two rounds of covexin or the tetnus toxoid on cutting is my rule. I also am in the knife camp I've can't see any reason to band a calf. Even a big calf.
Big calves are actually easier to knife cut than a small one.

They fell off yesterday, one thing I like about banding is seems like less "down" time than cutting the older ones.
He was up to date on vaccinations but got the tetanus booster at time of banding.

Latest posts