Late-Cut hay

Help Support CattleToday:

If left standing, is there any point where there could be some new-growth which could improve quality a bit? For example, could August or September hay actually be better than July hay, or does quality keep steadily diminishing the longer it stands?

herofan said:
If left standing, is there any point where there could be some new-growth which could improve quality a bit? For example, could August or September hay actually be better than July hay, or does quality keep steadily diminishing the longer it stands?

If left standing...probably no. Even if you have "new growth" you still have all that old growth in it which is going to dilute the new. Best shot at it would be to clean it off and try for another cut. I know it's all about location about how many cuttings you can expect. If I had planned on cutting hay at all this year...meaning fertilized for it...I'd be looking at least 4 cuttings. 3 of those I could have counted on 10% or better protein. 4th would be the lessor because 3rd would be coming off now. Heat and drier conditions between now and September makes for slower regrowth for the 4th cut.

What is the typical consumption rate of the protein tubs? How long would a 200lb tub typically last one cow in winter when the hay is poor?

Latest posts