Calf with cut feet

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford2

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone on here ever had a calf get the bottom of their feet cut, from Ice?? I have a 3 month old bottle calf and we got ice yesterday and I noticed the bottom of his feet were bleeding.... I haven't seen this before? Per vets instructions I have him in a small pen, and I'm putting fresh bedding in twice a day, also I gave Him Exceed and Banimine, and a Iron shot, in case he was animic from blood loss. also from my vet.

I have not had that problem and my calves are born Dec. - March in Iowa weather. at 3 months, hooves should be thick enough to handle the ice with no problem. wondering why vet did not recommend wrapping hooves to keep bacteria out. How many feet are bleeding? Keep us updated.

Just the front 2, and they stopped bleeding within 10 minutes. he was having to walk uphill to feed and hay, on really Rocky ground, so I don't know if it was a combination of frozen ground, plus rocks, plus ice? Well it's 8 to 12 degrees here and he wasn't concerned about bacteria since it's so cold. Like I said I haven't seen this before.. The other animals that were in the same place as this calf are perfectly fine, the sole of his front feet look rough towards the toe, like he was slipping on the ice, and that's where they were bleeding from, back feet are fine.

I was thinking the bottom of hooves were bleeding but now it makes more sense. ice, rocks, and uphill could be the problem. thanks for update.

Latest posts