CALF WITH SCOURS AND WHITE DISCHARGE FROM NOSE

Help Support CattleToday:

REPOMAN

Reaction score
I JUST PURCHASED 3 BROWN SWISS CALVES FROM A LIVESTOCK AUCTION A WEEK AGO ALL WAS WELL FOR 3 DAYS AND THEN THE PROBLEMS STARTED FIRST SCOURS WATERY YELLOW IN COLOR AND STINK!!! I STARTED RIGHT AWAY WITH RESORB AND CUT OUT THE MILK REPLACER WHICH IS MEDICATED (HIGH END MILK) GAVE RESORB 2qts 2X DAILY AND THE FIRST DAY 1qt INBETWEEN FEEDINGS. GAVE 2 TERRIMYICINE TABS AT EACH 12hr FEEDING WITH A SHOT OF 5cc LA 200 @ THE A.M. FEEDING (UNDER SKIN FRONT SHOULDER / NECK)1 WAS DOWN AND I HAD TO TUBE HIM MIND YOU I HAVE ONLY RAISED 1 OTHER CALF BEFORE AND HAD TO HAVE THE VET ADMIN. IV FLUIDS SO A BAD EXPERIANCE FROM THE START BUT SHE IS 10 mo. OLD AND DOING GREAT!! ANYWAY I FIGURED OUT THE TUBE AND DID THAR 2X FOR THE ONE CALF AT PRESENT ALL 3 CALVES ARE UP HAPPY AND EAGER TO EAT BUT THEY STILL SEEM TO HAVE WATERY STOOL YELLOW IN COLOR SOMETIMES WATERY OTHERS PASTY AND NOW THEY HAVE DEVELOPED A WHITE DISCHARGE FROM THE NOSE AND A RASPY SOUND WHEN THEY DRINK FROM THE BOTTLE AS IF IT WAS CONGESTION. I JUST FED THEM 1/2 AMMOUNT OF MILK IN 2qts OF WATER AFTER YESTERDAY WEANING IN 1/2 RESORB 1/2 MILK AS THE PACKAGE STATES BUT EVERY PLACE ELSE DISCOURAGES????? IM JUST AT A STAND STILL I GOT THEM WHEN THEY WERE 2-3 DAYS OLD I STILL GAVE THEM COLOSTRIUM TO START NOT KNOWING AND JUST HOPING TO BYPASS THIS STAGE. GOT THEM ALL UP AND OUT OF DEPRESSION AND THE SCOURS I THINK HANGING AROUND NOW WITH THE NOSE DISCHARGE WHICH IM GUESSING RESPITORY? WILL THE LA 200 WORK FOR THIS AND THE SCOURS? SHOULD I GIVE PRO BIOS IVE READ ON THIS SIGHT OF WHAT SEEMS TO BE THE SAME THING AND THEY GAVE NUFLOR IVE BEEN TOLD TO GIVE SMZ'S , BANAMINE AND EVEN AN EGG IVE COME THIS FAR AND IM AFRAID OF GOING BACKWARDS I HOPE SOMEONE CAN BE OF HELP IM SORRY IF THINGS ARE SCATTERED IM JUST JOTTING AS I THINK OF IT TO HELP WITH YOUR SOLUTION!! THEY ARE IN A CLEAN AREA IN A BARN SEPERATED NOT ABLE TO TOUCH EACH OTHER WITH CLEAN HAY FOR BEDDING AND A 250W HEAT LAMP TO TAKE THE CHILL OFF IT IS 30 deg HERE AT PM FEEDING THEY WERE RAMMY WHEN BOTTLE WAS GONE AS I DESCRIBE A HAPPY COW. ---- WHAT TO DO????????------

I KEEP READING ALL THE TOPICS THIS IS AN AWSOME SIGHT AND BOARD MY THANK YOU IN ADVANCE TO ALL AND THE PEOPLE OR PERSON WHO STARTED THIS I LOOK FORWARD TO BEING OF HELP HERE SOMEDAY I RAISE BOAR GOATS IF ANYONE NEEDS HELP THERE..

THANKS , JEFF

i probably missed some info in there but how old are these calves?

the colostrum packets are pretty rich and tend to stink up calves for a couple of days. in addition the change from whatever they were getting to whatever they are getting now probably had a lot to do with it. you say you added water, thats good b/c dehydration is what makes scours such a problem. it sounds like the calves may have a touch of pneumonia possibly from gettinga little milk in the lungs. i would probably treat them with nuflor.

I BOUGHT THESE GUYS 12/26/05 AND IM GUESSING THEY WERE 2-4 DAYS OLD JUDGING BY CORD DRIED UP AND 1 MISSING. ONE IS STILL THERE. ALL TEMPS AR NORMAL WHAT DO YOU THINK OF STOPPING TERRIMYCINE TABS AND LA 200 SHOTS? WHEN TO STOP OR SWITCH TO NUFLOR?

i think it would be ok but get some other advice first from people who deal with feeding calves more than i do! i rarely do that, knock on wood.

Hey Repoman,

Sounds like you've had a tough go with the little fellars.

For what it's worth, I'd give them a shot of Nuflor tonight and tube them (if they won't drink a bottle of Electolytes mix) at least once daily until they're eyes don't appear sunken (indication of dehydration).

Here's a link to the Nuflor site, as I can't remember the exact dosage right now and am too lazy tonight to run down to the cold room to look at the bottle.

http://www.nuflor.com/nuflor_glance/dg.html

Be aware that diarehea (sp) is a side effect of Nuflor, but personally we've had great success with the stuff (man, if only I could have a nickel for every time I've said that...).

Good luck with your calves and take care.

SORRY IF I CONFUSED ANYONE: ALL 3 ARE HAPPY & HUNGRY THEY WILL BOUNCE FOR THE BOTTLE AND ARE LOOKING FOR MORE WHEN 2qts ARE GONE SEEM HYDRATED NO SUNKEN EYES, SKIN DOES NOT STAY TENTED EVEN FOR A SEC. IM JUST CONCERENED WITH THE RUNNY WHITE DISCHARGE FROM THE NOSE AND SCOURS NOT BEING COMPLETLY CURED. OR THE NOSE (RESPITORY INFECTION) BEING THE CAUSE OF THE SCOURS.
IVE GOT THEM HOLDING STEADY JUST DONT WANT TO MISS SOMETHING AND GO BACKWARDS LIKE .....SHOULD OF GIVEN SMZ,S OR NUFLOR INSTEAD OF LA 200 OR MABE WITH??? THEY ARE STILL ON 2 TABS TERRIMYCINE 2X DAILY FOR PAST 3 DAYS TOMARROW I WAS PLANNING ON REDUCING TO 1 NOT TO OVERDUE ANYTHING AND TOMARROW GIVING LAST SHOT OF LA 200 (3rd DAY ALSO) BUT NOSE THING HAS ME 2nd GUESSING MEDS AND DURATION I AM PLANNING ON GIVING 5-10 G OF PRO BIOS IN AM TO SEE IF THAT HELPS OUT WITH FINISHING OFF SCOURS. ????????
TOO MANY DIRECTIONS I THINK I NEED A PLAN ANY THOUGHTS?

Keep a bottle of spectam scour halt for pigs handy. It works better for scours than anything I've found yet. 10cc orally morning and night. Usually stops it in two doses. For extreme cases I give a Sustain III scour bolus and scour halt. Sustain is good for 2 days. Good luck with the boys. Nuflor should take care of the runny nose. Pro-bios is good thinking.

Nuflor is a great product - but stop giving LA200 when you go on the Nuflor.
Colostrom is a laxative - especially when given after 24 hours old. Also, any antibiotics kill the good bugs so Probias or other brand is very good at the time & during & after antibiotics.
Sounds like you got them over the hurtle, just don't want them to relapse.

DO I NEED A SCRIPT FOR NUFLOR? AND SHOULD I ALSO STOP GIVING TERRIMYCINE TABS IM HOPING TO FIND NUFLOR TODAY!!! ILL KEEP EVERYONE POSTED ON THE HOPEFULL PROGRESS!!!! just ordered nuflor will be here tomarrow afternoon. gave everyone some probioc and some resorb the one with the worst nose problem has become a little lazy but i gave him 2qts of resorb due to the watery stool complete liquid and 2 terrmicyin tabs each to hold over untill nuflor mabe i should call a vet? or should i wait to try nuflor first? afraid of making a wrong decision!

You do need a vet to get the Nuflor, but that should clear up the respiratory problem.

Thanks for using lower case typing in the last post. It is much easier to read and ALL CAPS is considered YELLING on the net.

Goodluck.

REPOMAN":3rh2nxf6 said:
afraid of making a wrong decision!

Repoman, being afraid of making a wrong decision can be just as harmful as making the wrong decision or not making a decision at all - been there, done that, got the t-shirt. All you can do is get to know your calves, know their usual behaviour and how they look, gather all the information possible when they are exhibiting unusual behaviour or just 'don't look right', gather as much information as possible to make a decision on how to handle that situation, and then proceed with your plan. In other words, do the best you can do under any given set of circumstances. Just my thoughts based on my experience. I gather from your original post that you are a newbie and there is nothing wrong with that, just try not to second guess yourself as a lot of times that just makes it harder to decide on a plan. Lots of very good people on here that are willing to help, but also try to develop a good working relationship with a good, local vet. Also resign yourself to the fact that you WILL lose calves - it comes with the territory. Again, just my thoughts.

sorry for "yelling" I have a bad habit of using all uppercase letters.

Thanks for the info I got Nuflor ordered and it should be in Wens. or Thurs. I have alot of horse places but no cattle product place around I'm near albany, my local TSC didnt even have resorb had to next day air from Jeffers. so mail is my only resource. us postal prices should drop soon for you guys all this next day air shipping is footing the bill for everyone else.

everything went from bad to worse they all have straight water scours now so I will be calling the vet in the am I dont think I should chance the laps time to get the nuflor. I'll go back to my resorb and hope for the best. if any ideas I'm willing!!!! I'll be sure to let you know what happens incase anyone else is in this delema.
could it also be the breed being a dificult one to start? (brown swiss)

Terramyacin tends to not work very well for scours in calves from the sale barn, immunity I guess as it's been around forever. Check into SMZ or SMX (I can never remember the name) or, as Cattlebaron recommended, Spectam.

REPOMAN":1527j7ew said:
could it also be the breed being a dificult one to start? (brown swiss)

Brown Swiss have alwasy been notorious for being hard starters.

dun

I've always heard it was very difficult to raise a brown swiss on the bottle. Never tried it though.

someone said to look into cryptosporidium "death scours" anyone herd of it?
now i cant find a vet to come ( they say im out of their area (distance))and now 2 out of 3 have straight water scours(yellow), white discharge from nose and congested when sucking.
they both drank 2qts resorb and third his milk(2qts)
up an down up an down up.............
mabe the nuflor will work when i get it lets go usps!!!

Withhold their milk. Just give them resorb and water. Tube if needed.

Are they down, or are they able to get up?

You need spectam scour halt and sustain III before quick!! Milkmaid is right about the milk replacer. Water and electrolites only until you get'em dobbed up. Syrup or peanut butter will help to keep their strength up.

milk has been removed and resorb given nocked feedings from 2qts 2x to 2 pts 5 x min. also gave 1TBS baking soda with 60cc water to help with acid that was at 2pm I just fed again at 12:30 and only 1 was quite lazy but got up for his 2pts the other 2 jump up and look for the bottle when I walk in the barn calling them. ill get up in 3 hours or so and go refeed hopefully these smaller doses will help with digestion especially when I switch back to milk.

mabe someone could add spellcheck for people like me on this board at least you can read my typing you should see my handwriting!!! (ha ha)

Latest posts