Minor Scours

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
Bottle calf, 3 weeks old, yes he's still with mama and he attempts to nurse often but she constantly kicks him away. Noticed yesterday morning that he has green liquid diarrhea. I'm assuming green from all the green grass we have. Wanted to get ahead of it so gave a bottle with ReSorb in it last night. He's totally fine otherwise. But I'm concerned because the package says no milk replacer should be given for 2 days. That seems sort of like a long time to not have any milk replacer. Ideas? Should I follow the package to a T and do the 4 days of just ReSorb and then slowly add back the formula? He's a healthy little guy otherwise, runs around, and sure sucks down his bottle…. And still wants more!

Attachments

• D8C62DAA-0512-4E15-8E41-0057B7CCFEB8.png
    D8C62DAA-0512-4E15-8E41-0057B7CCFEB8.png
    7.8 MB · Views: 7
Yep.
He's been munching away at the green green grass.

Personally I'd have done nothing but watch him grow...
Thanks! I gave him a bottle with Resorb last night and one this morning. I think I'll only do that and then go to the 1/2 bottle Resorb with formula as indicated on the packaging. Just didn't want it to lead to dehydration. His manure was straight liquid 😳

I might add Corid to it even if there are no signs of blood... picking up some clostridial spores from the green grass is possible...and some coccidiosis... the corid seems to help with some of the intestinal things...it can go right in the milk or whatever they are drinking...
I agree with no milk replacer within 2 hours of the electrolytes... I would wind up feeding the electrolytes every other feeding if you are concerned about energy or dehydration....and see if they firm up a bit...
Also.. try a scours pill with kaopectate or something... I like Immodium for people... it just makes the manure thicker.... don't necessarily need drugs, just something to "stop them up".... it can stop them getting the "scald" on the butt from real runny manure....
But if he is acting fine, sometimes benign neglect is the way to go, just watch... any chance he is stealing off anyone else or are they separate from the rest of the cows.

Don't stop the replacer. Just don't give it within two hours of electrolytes. And don't mix the two unless it was designed to be mixed (ie. Diaque)
See that's what's confusing about the Resorb, it says no milk replacer should be given at all during the 2 days of feeding it. Then reintroduce 1/2 formula with 1/2 Resorb on days 3 & 4. He's doing really well, so might just go back to formula and chalk it up to the green grass.

I might add Corid to it even if there are no signs of blood... picking up some clostridial spores from the green grass is possible...and some coccidiosis... the corid seems to help with some of the intestinal things...it can go right in the milk or whatever they are drinking...
I agree with no milk replacer within 2 hours of the electrolytes... I would wind up feeding the electrolytes every other feeding if you are concerned about energy or dehydration....and see if they firm up a bit...
Also.. try a scours pill with kaopectate or something... I like Immodium for people... it just makes the manure thicker.... don't necessarily need drugs, just something to "stop them up".... it can stop them getting the "scald" on the butt from real runny manure....
But if he is acting fine, sometimes benign neglect is the way to go, just watch... any chance he is stealing off anyone else or are they separate from the rest of the cows.
Yes he's acting totally fine. And no I have him and mama separated. I did initially give kaolin pectate but that's a pain because you have to give 3-4 ounces. It took me a while to get all of it down him. Can I use human pepto or immodium? And can I mix it with his bottle?

4 day Resorb treatment given by tube saved Honey's life when she scoured. The elctrolyes and glucose in it really improved her the first day. The milk repacer I used had a cocidiostat in it.
100_2031 (1).JPG
100_2246 (2).JPG
The second 2 days I never mixed milk rplacer and resorb. I gave milk feedings a resorb feedings 3 or 4 hours apart. It works and digests better that way.

Last edited:
Resorb is a very old product, and the science of calf hydration has come a long way since the recommendations on the label were written. Diaque, Epic, Bluelite Replenish, and several others are better products with more useful feeding guidelines.

NOT ADVICE so no one says I am doing so.... I use immodium for humans... little tiny pills... down the hatch with a calf sized balling gun... use human weight dose... 1 per 100 lbs...
If he is acting fine, I would just make sure he is not looking or acting dehydrated... and do the benign neglect routine.
There is a calf rehydration product that gels after about 15-20 minutes that I used once... but I don't get too concerned if they are acting normal...and once had one the vet had to IV and it saved her life so.... but she was down and out flat...

4 day Resorb treatment given by tube saved Honey's life when she scoured. The elctrolyes and glucose in it really improved her the first day. The milk repacer I used had a cocidiostat in it.
View attachment 29930
View attachment 29931
The second 2 days I never mixed milk rplacer and resorb. I gave milk feedings a resorb feedings 3 or 4 hours apart. It works and digests better that way.
That's excellent! So glad your calf did well. I think I'll do his normal bottle in am and pm and maybe an electrolyte middle of day.

The operative word is "minor". Unless he is clearly dehydrated, off feed (of any kind) &/or acting sluggish, monitor but benign neglect. Calves are going to get messy butts generally any time their diet changes, fresh new grass, after a big rain, stress or too much protein.

The operative word is "minor". Unless he is clearly dehydrated, off feed (of any kind) &/or acting sluggish, monitor but benign neglect. Calves are going to get messy butts generally any time their diet changes, fresh new grass, after a big rain, stress or too much protein.
Thanks! Just didn't want it to get into a situation where he was dehydrated. Will continue to monitor

Thanks! Just didn't want it to get into a situation where he was dehydrated. Will continue to monitor
You can always do the "pinch test". Pull up the skin around his neck. If it snaps back, he's okay. If it stays tented, he's dehydrated. Also, look at his eyes to make sure they aren't sunken. Trust your gut - you know your cattle. And I know the instinct to help, but sometimes the best thing is to let them get over it and, in some cases, build up immunity.

You can always do the "pinch test". Pull up the skin around his neck. If it snaps back, he's okay. If it stays tented, he's dehydrated. Also, look at his eyes to make sure they aren't sunken. Trust your gut - you know your cattle. And I know the instinct to help, but sometimes the best thing is to let them get over it and, in some cases, build up immunity.
True! Thanks again. He's a healthy little guy overall 😊

I'd hobble the cow for a few days. Wouldn't worry about electrolytes unless there is a serious problem and he's gone off of food.
Used to use kaopectate for humans if they were a little runny but otherwise fine, was told they don't make that anymore. =(
If the cow has enough milk I would really concentrate on getting her straightened out with the kicking, no need to pour money into the calf when you have the perfect feed source (momma) right there.
Don't stress too much about the scours unless he is visibly ill.

Yup. Put a set of hobbles on the old biddy and plan on a week or two with them on. Have done a couple over the years grafting older, aggressive calves on and hobbles was about all I had to do so long as they were in a big enough pen the cow couldn't ram the calf into a corner. They would give up after about a week and be broke to nurse.

Latest posts