Viral scours

Help Support CattleToday:

Interesting. Had to look up Toltrazuril because I've never heard of it and it's not available in the US. Sustain boluses (Sulfamethazine) is generally my first line of defense in a mild case of scours. Fortunately, haven't had to treat one in a long time but I do give every calf First Defense.

Antibiotics are important because with many viral infection it's often a secondary (microbial) infection that does the killing.

I know, which is why I said maybe there was "something else" going on that hadn't been mentioned. I know a lot of doctors who prescribe antibiotics for flu, which makes no sense, and why should vets be any different? Well, we can HOPE they're different, but you never know. I've known some really good vets in my time, and some that were not so smart.

It seems whoever you talk to is going to give you different info about Toltrazuril. One says protects from Scours AND coccidiosis. Others say just scours, others just coccidiosis. In the end.... who cares LOL so far so good.
Calves will get some kind of scours during the first part of their life, that's hard to prevent. Like overeating (milk) not much you can do, but that's not life threatening. Extreme weather changes, suppose due to stress they'll get it, unless the calf isn't sick to begin with...... it's nothing serious either. Feed changes........ also not bad.

One other thing a neighbour said they use is Amprol solution. They supposedly give the newly sick calf (coccidiosis) a spoon full of Amrol solution orally and say the calves are fine by next day. I can't confirm that, never done that.

I know, which is why I said maybe there was "something else" going on that hadn't been mentioned. I know a lot of doctors who prescribe antibiotics for flu, which makes no sense, and why should vets be any different? Well, we can HOPE they're different, but you never know. I've known some really good vets in my time, and some that were not so smart.
I completely agree. Don't like the idea or suggestion by vets or anybody to prescribe/give antibiotics for just something/anything when it's not really needed or not going to make a difference anyhow.

I got soaked, bruised, battered yesterday. We got all the cows in and sorted off the calves to give them a scour pills, Terramycin. Everyone got one wither they needed it or not; had several that did. Probably have a broken toe from getting stepped by one of the bigger calves, so I will be hobbling around for a few days. Some probably didn't need it, but while I was doing it I was going to get them all. We got a pretty good rain yesterday, the corals were a mess, and hard to walk in, but we got it done.

I am planning to vaccinate for scours for next springs calves. My vet said to vaccinate the cows with Guardian two months before they calve, and then one month before we they calve. Being that we have never vaccinated for scours before my vet said I need to do it twice the first year, and the proceeding years I can get by with vaccinating only once. The vaccine seems quite expensive, $5 per shot, but that might be cheap if it prevents me from losing any calves.

Being that we have never vaccinated for scours before my vet said I need to do it twice the first year, and the proceeding years I can get by with vaccinating only once.
Yes, same as other scour vaccines. Did you test a calf with scours? Is there a specific strain you are trying to control? My opinion is vaccinating should prevent a widespread outbreak, but might not totally eliminate the problem. Interested what others say on the subject...

My vet said to vaccinate the cows with Guardian two months before they calve, and then one month before we they calve.
That's not what the bottle says. {click here} I try to follow directions on bottles. I'm wary of vaccinating too close to parturition.

I said it previously, but here it is again... and while it may not jive with the label directions... I'll say it anyway...
Studies have shown that maximum colostral antibody levels are 'set' at 5 weeks pre-calving. Vaccinating the cow after that time is probably going to be more or less ineffective in providing adequate colostral antibodies to the calf. I'd want my 'booster' dose (whether the second in an initial series, or the annual booster) to be administered no later than 8 weeks pre-calving, in order to ensure that maximum/optimal colostral antibody is available for the calf at birth.

Latest posts